uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 26 - @ Minnesota

uneblinstu

I liked the pace we played at. Had about 6 possessions we were out of control and I think Watson was the culprit on half of them with decision making/shot selection. Of course if thosengonin we are singing his praises. Thought he played well. He is so good with dribble drive in the paint if we aren’t standing around watching he creates so well for others. 

Think we we got a little gunshy doubling Murphy after they swung it and hit the corner 3.  Keep mixing it up is our best bet when we have smaller ‘bigs’ on the floor. 

Minnesota shot well. I thought we were pretty engaged defensively.  They made a lot of shots with a hand in their face. 

When we were 8/11 at half (or whatever it was) I didint think we would shoot 72% from 3 again in he second so I was a little worried going into the half with the way they closed it. To be fair I didn’t think Mason would keep going Steph Curry on us in the second half. 

What a costly T by ‘Jackwagon’ and then whatever we ran to get Mason switched into Roby in the post for a bunny was simply awesome. 

Evan Taylor is my favorite Husker on this team. Don’t get me wrong, I hoop and holler when our playmakers make plays. Evan is about the 7th guy I want taking shots.   He has about one WTF moment every game but he is just a great defender and team guy.   I think a lot of it is being a senior and his ‘give a s**t’ barometer is higher than most on the team.  Hope he sees more minutes in critical minutes  or the offensive weapons that are playing more minutes start to model their games after him because he does a lot of glue guy stuff that isn’t noticed in the box score but goes a LONG WAYS into winning games.  He can score 0 points and I like what he brings us. When he has a super efficient offensive game like tonight I just grin ear to ear because it is unexpected but at the same time he is giving us the juice we need. 

4 minutes ago, TZAHL said:

Well....I mean...who would be dumb enough to buy out a contract like that.  Imagine if they were dumb enough to have to buy out two contracts and have to pay them at the same time!!!   

Oh......wait a minute.......??

YOLO SCOFRO

Watching the Watson vs Washington show midway through the second half was immensely entertaining.  One guy would make a highlight reel play and the other would be like "oh yeah?  Watch this!".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think our point guard gets enough credit for the quality of his play sometimes.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Watching the Watson vs Washington show midway through the second half was immensely entertaining.  One guy would make a highlight reel play and the other would be like "oh yeah?  Watch this!".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think our point guard gets enough credit for the quality of his play sometimes.

If he finds his shot back, this team becomes much more difficult to guard.

Yeah, our defense didn't travel tonight as the saying goes.  Forced very few turnovers.  We went 1-3-1 for what, one possession?  Thought that could have helped keep easy entry passes to Murphy in check since he was just taking it to us in there.  At least made them figure out another way to get it in there.  Anyway, we kept it in our pocket. 

Glad the shots were falling. Shooting over 50% with the guy taking the most shots going 4/14?  I'll take it!

It was a fun game to be at.  I let out a couple "wooooos" on Roby's dunks and the Minnesota fans around disliked the number of times I had the opportunity and began mocking me by doing it whenever Minnesota did something.  I had a good laugh about that, then did it again the next time he dunked. 

9 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That was the second worst defensive efficiency night in the conference (Michigan St) and our third worst of the season (UTSA)

How much of that is guys trying hard (Ding up) I think of Iowa, how much of that is being physically dominated...I think Michigan State, how much of that is ‘circus shots’ (the other guy just knocking down tough jumpers)...I think UTSA.   

I think tonight was a little combination of all three. Murphy is a mismatch and after half we did nothing to dissuade it. Washington we weren’t physically (or maybe mentally unwilling) able to stay in front of, and Mason just being ice cold assasin shooter. 

I’m sure the coaching staff will take a long look at it and hopefully adjust for upcoming games.  

PS....I’d really prefer not to see Saunders score 25 on Saturday.  A guy can dream......?

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

Quality play I’m on board with. 

I think he is a smart enough player to make the ‘right ‘ decision 95% of the time, not 85% of the time.   Glynn is good. Very good. He can be better. 

Gotta keep improving cause if you are staying the same you are getting worse. (Or something like that in coach speak). 

Notes

*-Nebraska has now won four Big Ten road games, its highest conference road total since also winning four in 1998-99.
*-Nebraska’s win was its first in Williams Arena since joining the Big Ten and first since 2003, snapping a four-game losing streak here. 
*-It is the first time since 2012 that the road team won, snapping a streak of nine straight wins by the home team in the series.
*-Isaiah Roby with a career-high 19 points, bettering his previous personal best of 17 against Iowa on Jan. 27.
*-Isaiah Roby finished with five blocked shots, the third time this season he has had at least four blocked shots in a game. 
*-James Palmer Jr. set a career high with nine assists, topping his previous mark of five set on two occasions, most recently against Iowa on Jan. 27. His nine assists matches the most by a Husker in Miles’ six seasons (Watson had nine vs. Rutgers in 2015-16).
*-Nebraska’s 91 points was its most on the road in conference play since scoring 96 at Oklahoma on Jan. 20, 1999.
*-Nebraska’s 44 first-half points was its second-highest total in Big Ten play this season (48 vs. Iowa)
*-Nebraska put five players in double figures for the third time this season.
*-With 10 points, Glynn Watson Jr. moved past Beau Reid (976) for 30th on NU’s scoring chart and now has 982 career points.
*-Nate Mason’s 34 point effort was the most by a Husker opponent since Peter Jok of Iowa had 34 last season. 

1 hour ago, TZAHL said:

Evan Taylor is my favorite Husker on this team. Don’t get me wrong, I hoop and holler when our playmakers make plays. Evan is about the 7th guy I want taking shots.   He has about one WTF moment every game but he is just a great defender and team guy.   I think a lot of it is being a senior and his ‘give a s**t’ barometer is higher than most on the team.  Hope he sees more minutes in critical minutes  or the offensive weapons that are playing more minutes start to model their games after him because he does a lot of glue guy stuff that isn’t noticed in the box score but goes a LONG WAYS into winning games.  He can score 0 points and I like what he brings us. When he has a super efficient offensive game like tonight I just grin ear to ear because it is unexpected but at the same time he is giving us the juice we need. 

I've been singing ET's praises since he signed. And what he's brought to Nebraska: Heart. Hustle. Toughness. No back down, ever. Love it.

Now this was impressive to me.  We played well on the road, had the lead slip, then overcame it.  This team has progressed beyond other Miles teams now.  We can win out.

A few things that bothered me and we need to tighten up:

1)  For the life of me, we don't defend a strong big man worth a crap.  Our staff needs to coach how to FRONT THE POST!  We get demolished inside by big guys with decent skill and we have to put a stop to that.

2)  Evan T. played great, but we have to be careful on letting him shoot too much.  His shot is below average and I just don't want us getting into the trap of him having a green light.

All in all, great win and we're getting the job done.  Let's go dancin'.

Edited by ATupe

Palmer went 10-13 last night at the FT line

Single Season Record

FREE THROWS MADE
1. Jack Moore (1980)...................................................... 184
2. Terran Petteway (2014).............................................. 167
3. Dave Hoppen (1985) .................................................. 164
4. Dave Hoppen (1984) .................................................. 158
5. Aleks Maric (2007) ..................................................... 147
6. Bob Gratopp (1969).................................................... 141
7. Tom Russell (1962) ..................................................... 140
8 Shavon Shields (2015) ................................................ 139
9. Tony Farmer (1991) .................................................... 137

9. James Palmer Jr. (2018)........................................ 137

Just now, huskercwg said:

Did anyone else notice that when we were going through post-game handshake line, it appeared that Pitino was going to go after the refs and Coach Miles appeared to hold onto him and tell him (if I could read his lips) "trust me, it isn't worth it," or something close.

I saw Miles said something to him after Pitino spent the first part of their hand shake looking for a ref.  I think he was peeved about that last one not being called in addition to everything else. Pretty sure he and Miles are friends so it would make sense.