Favorite Nebrasketball Moments

As we inch closer to the end of our seven day hiatus, I want to be reminded of some of the coolest moments in Nebrasketball lore.

I have four games that really stand out to me, all from the Doc era.

2011 vs #2 Texas

I remember the #1 team in the land fell earlier that day, so Texas, stacked with Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Gary Johnson, and Jordan Hamilton (and yes, Matt Hill) was set to move up to #1 with a win. Doc's crew had other ideas.

We were up 11 with 1:41 to play. Me and the rest of the student section were all set to storm the court. Then over the next 34 seconds we missed four free throws, gave up four offensive rebounds, and turned it over once to allow Texas to tie it! We were in absolute shock and thought we were toast. But Brandon Richadson ended up icing the game down the stretch with some clutch free throws and the storming of the court ensued.

2008 vs Creighton

One of the games I traveled up from Omaha to see as a high schooler. Dagunduro with the layup with two seconds left to win by two. This was at my peak of Creighton-hatred.

2009 vs #16 Texas

Another game I traveled up from Omaha to see. Dagunduro had a (somewhat of a) dagger to go up four with under a minute left. The place was going nuts.

2008 vs Charlotte (NIT)

Traveled up for this one as well, as we wanted to give a nice send-off to Aleks Maric as it'd likely be his last home game. I remember we were sitting close to his parents and after the game, my dad led us over there to thank them for their son's contributions and to wish them well in the future.

Man, I really loved some of those Doc teams and wish he would have succeeded. His '08, '09, and '11 teams were some fun bubble teams.

No Sit Sunday a distant first that will never be replicated.  Single moment from that game early when Petteway hit pull up three and the madness during the ensuing time out.  

One enjoyable memory from the Sadler era was that super tiny team outhusling and outplaying one of Kansas best teams ever in the conference tourney for about 25 minutes.  That was so much fun.  

7 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Can't believe we are two posts in and No Sit Sunday hasn't been mentioned. I'm guessing that's near the top of most people's lists.

I kind of avoided that one since it was obvious and I figured someone else would bring it up. I also can't help but think about the fact that I attended pretty much every home game for four and a half years, then graduated in December of that season and moved away... so I had to watch that one on TV.

Two of my favorites were listing as a young man on the radio and hearing the announcer tell how the State Troopers where taking Cip off the court at I think the Sun Bowl Christmas tournament. Cip went nuts on a call and threw his coat and yelled ect... then he grabbed the gun at the table.  Remember when they shot the starters gun at the half and at the end of games?  and shot it.  

Also remember Tim Moreland my all time favorite play-by-play guy doing a game in Colorado during  Jack Moore's time.  At first he had to kind of talk softly towards the end of the game because "They sell beer here at Coors Event Center here in Boulder"  And then the best ever.  " Jack Moore at the line, currently leads the nation in free throw percentage. Bends the knees... Oh the banks been robbed, if he ever misses two of these I will fall right out of my chair.  It's good, Huskers lead...  I don't remember what he said after that, but I am sure it was classic.

Might have more after I think about them. 

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

And then the best ever.  " Jack Moore at the line, currently leads the nation in free throw percentage. Bends the knees... Oh the banks been robbed, if he ever misses two of these I will fall right out of my chair.  It's good, Huskers lead...  I don't remember what he said after that, but I am sure it was classic.

Don't remember the game, but Moore had tied the NCAA record for consecutive free throws made.  It was right around 40.  He gets fouled and the crowd is ready to explode with excitement when he breaks the record.  He puts up a brick Dube would be proud of....

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

'91 Creighton. Beat Bob Harstad and Chad Gallagher by 40 ... 

You beat me to it. 97-63. Greatest game ever except for the fact I had a late class and couldn't get there early enough for floor seats and then we let up the last 5 minutes and didn't go over 100. But then Creighton gets a tournament win that year and we lose to Xavier.

Top 3

Win over TCU to get to the NIT Final Four in 1983 (this was before the NCAA tourney field was expanded to 64 - when the NIT was still meaningful)

1994 Big 8 Tournament Championship game

No Sit Sunday

Honorable Mention:

1990-91 blowout of a very good Creighton team was fun - but my favorite game from that year was the 111-99 road victory over a ranked OU team.

The KU game in 1992 where Jamar Johnson hit the shot from the corner to win the game in OT

All of those were games I attended.  Best memory of a game I was not at personally would be the win over undefeated #1 Missouri in 1982

Jamar Johnson hitting a last second shot vs Kansas 1992.  Listened to that whole game on the radio, then ESPN broke in for the last shot.

Beating big country and Okie State, 1990 something.

Piatkowski going off for 42 vs OU and then winning the big eight tourney.

Eating the frozen malt with the wooden spoon at the Bob during any game at the Bob

No sit sunday of course

Going to the NCAA tourney selection show at the Vault in 2014.  Hope we get to do that again this year.

Edited by Huskerone

I don't tend to remember specific moments, they tend to run together through the many, many games and years.  But the most vivid memory that stays with me was actually crying after we beat Wisconsin to tie down our entry to the dance.  I was then standing outside, and teared up again, and then one of our dungeon members came up and hugged me...Dudes, that was one huge emotional night. 

sat, jan 12, 1991.. iowa st home opener. 

at the game with an ex---i was crazy in love. turning her into a live hoops fan, which was good because she got a faculty discount on tickets...:)

we win, I think, by 10. I'd never been happier before or since. 

we get home, night of bliss ahead, recruiter car pulls up to girlfriends house (the story of how they got that one is sweet in itself) at just after 11:30 PM. 

Got orders to return to Saudi via Ft Leavenworth that night for what I thought was another stint at Desert Shield. Oops!. I have had many happy days thankfully, since that game. But I knew I would never live a happy life after that day. So that one will be seared into my memory above all others. 

March 8, 1991...  Nebraska vs Oklahoma in a first round game of the Big 8 Conference Tournament.  Nebraska won 117 to 113 in OT.  Seems like we had several key players foul out.  I may be wrong, but it seems like Keith Moody was one of the reserves that hit a big three towards the end of the game.  That felt pretty good to beat OU.  GBR...

1 hour ago, DoveBirdDon said:

March 8, 1991...  Nebraska vs Oklahoma in a first round game of the Big 8 Conference Tournament.  Nebraska won 117 to 113 in OT.  Seems like we had several key players foul out.  I may be wrong, but it seems like Keith Moody was one of the reserves that hit a big three towards the end of the game.  That felt pretty good to beat OU.  GBR...

I watched that game at a South Omaha bar after I got my first tattoo from a guy named Ira. And yes, Keith Moody was the MAN.

Moody’s running 3 at the end of regulation tied it at 100 iirc.  Several players fouled out from both teams.  Beat KU on day 2 and lost to Doug Smith and Mizzou in championship game.  

How about beating ( top 5 ?) Michigan State (same year 90-91) early in the season on Beau Reid’s last second shot at home.   Danny’s progress was validated and it was a crazy fun year.  That year for me was probably the best.  I had been a rabid Husker hoops fan since the early 80’s.   It was just this feeling of “we’ve arrived”.  

On 2/4/2018 at 5:02 PM, tcp said:

sat, jan 12, 1991.. iowa st home opener. 

at the game with an ex---i was crazy in love. turning her into a live hoops fan, which was good because she got a faculty discount on tickets...:)

we win, I think, by 10. I'd never been happier before or since. 

we get home, night of bliss ahead, recruiter car pulls up to girlfriends house (the story of how they got that one is sweet in itself) at just after 11:30 PM. 

Got orders to return to Saudi via Ft Leavenworth that night for what I thought was another stint at Desert Shield. Oops!. I have had many happy days thankfully, since that game. But I knew I would never live a happy life after that day. So that one will be seared into my memory above all others. 

Sounds like there is A LOT of before/after story that could be told here!.....