Starting To Get Anxiety...

hhcdave

6 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

no 22 win power 5 team has been left out since the addition of the play in games. i would feel pretty good about our chances if we get to 22 wins.

syracuse was left out with 22 wins in 2007 and va tech was left out with 23 wins in 2010, but both of those occurred before they expanded to 68 teams.

Washington was 24-10 and ranked #1 in the Pac 12. Definitely a down year for the Pac 12, but it's not like it's never happened before.

7 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

no 22 win power 5 team has been left out since the addition of the play in games. i would feel pretty good about our chances if we get to 22 wins.

syracuse was left out with 22 wins in 2007 and va tech was left out with 23 wins in 2010, but both of those occurred before they expanded to 68 teams.

2012 - Arizona (23); Oregon (22)

2013 - Maryland (22)

2014 - Missouri (22)

2016 - South Carolina (24)

Norm is a popular guy over at the horrific Creighton board.  Meanwhile, I hope Altman's advisor isn't really advising anyone on anything, especially math related.  He claims the big 10 would be having an up year if we get 4 teams, as we average 3.2 (lol) and are a mid major league.  If I were a Creighton fan, I would be embarrassed to have such idiotic posting allowed on the forum.  

Edited by royalfan

33 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Norm is a popular guy over at the horrific Creighton board.  Meanwhile, I hope Altman's advisor isn't really advising anyone on anything, especially math related.  He claims the big 10 would be having an up year if we get 4 teams, as we average 3.2, lol and are a mid major league.  If I were a Creighton fan, I would be embarrassed to have such idiot posting allowed on the forum.  

2016-2017

Big East: 7

Big Ten: 7

2015-2016

Big East: 5

2014-2015

Big East: 6

2013-2014

Big East: 4

Big Ten: 6

2012-2013 (the year the old Big East ended)

Big East: 8

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

2016-2017

Big East: 7 - 70%

Big Ten: 7 - 50%

2015-2016

Big East: 5 - 50%

2014-2015

Big East: 6 - 60%

2013-2014

Big East: 4 - 40%

Big Ten: 6 - 50%

2012-2013 (the year the old Big East ended)

Big East: 8 - 50%

Big Ten: 7 - 58%

When you consider that as a percentage of the teams in the league though it's pretty even.

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

When you consider that as a percentage of the teams in the league though it's pretty even.

Yeah, definitely not arguing that from any former Missouri Valley fan. The old Big East is arguably better. But the new Big East has some high quality teams that I've enjoyed watching over the decades. I'm sure that's just a fun hoops conference to be part of. But to come out to say a conference is averaging 3.2 bids a year is laughable.

I am curious to see how BPI conference rankings will differ from tournament play. It was noticeably wrong in college football bowl games this last season. Should be a fun one.

• 6 years later...
On 2/1/2018 at 12:15 AM, hhcdave said:

About making the Dance.

Normally, I'd say "we control our own destiny" with 8-4 and 6 games left including the conference tournament.

However, I'm starting to think we DON'T control our own destiny because of jack asses like Joe Lunardi and Bracket Geeks.

They're SO OBSESSED with the B1G being down, and us not playing two games against the Top 3, that they're almost saying even winning out won't do it unless we also win 1-2 in the B1G Tournament. How much bullshit is that?

You're telling me 14-4 in the Big 10, with 23 wins, and an RPI inside 50, isn't going to get us in?

I apologize to the posted ten days ago who I called out for saying "we have to run the table to get in." I'm starting to sadly think they're correct. And even that might not do it.

Please tell me to calm down and help me ease my anxiety. There are much more important things in the world but I'm legitimately uptight, anxious and angry about this. Are we REALLY going to get left out if we go 14-4 but lose to Michigan/Maryland/Indiana in the B1G Tournament?

Furthermore, if we lose one more game (let's say maryland) but then beat Michigan before losing the next game, does that get us in?

Pretty ridicolous.

Once again we are in spot where "we control our own destiny."

I'm not calling anyone out here in this thread as I was so confident we would be dancing. This is just a reminder of where we where as a group in 2018. Deja vu anybody?

12 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm not calling anyone out here in this thread as I was so confident we would be dancing. This is just a reminder of where we where as a group in 2018. Deja vu anybody?

Complete apples vs. oranges comparison.  We do control our own destiny this year.  Win the the two home games, beat a bad Michigan team and that's it.  Any other win/loss is only about seeding.  No anxiety needed this year, unless we lose a game we shouldn't 🙂

53 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

This is the lamest of all posts. Have a nice life.

On 2/1/2018 at 12:22 AM, hskr4life said:

Certainly think we need to see how this’ll all play out.  Bubble teams are going to win and lose and that’s just how it’ll go.  We just need to do our part and win.  That’s all we can do.

Well this certainly will hold true this year as well.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:17 PM, hskr4life said:

One thing we all need to remember... and it just hit me... is that we need to enjoy this ride as well.  I love the debates, love discussing this bubble team and that bubble team, and love to discuss where the Huskers will end up.  But please take a minute to enjoy the ride as well.

Its like getting to go to Florida and the last day there you get to go to Magic Kingdom.  If you spend all of your time and energy just looking forward to that MK trip, you’ll miss the rest of the vacation.  Now there’s a chance that MK is closed for some reason on that last day and you have to go to Universal Studios instead.  So try to enjoy the whole vacation as well as looking forward to the best day.

Worst analogy in board history... but got some likes!  LOL

Apart from seeing a lot of poster's names I haven't seen on here in a while this thread was eye opening for me to see this little gem of a post:

On 2/1/2018 at 11:44 AM, 49r said:

Let me throw out a short list of who we should open up the check book for:

-Gregg Marshall (at least make him say no)

-Tyronn Lue (he'd jump at the chance to come back to coach his alma mater)

-Fred Hoiberg (finally the chance to come home, just like ScoFro)

-Thad Matta (tanned, rested and ready!)

-Tom Crean (he really wasn't all that bad at Indiana!)

Does that just about cover it?

I'm pretty sure I posted that in jest, who would have ever guessed we actually had a shot at Fred back then?

52 minutes ago, 49r said:

Apart from seeing a lot of poster's names I haven't seen on here in a while this thread was eye opening for me to see this little gem of a post:

I'm pretty sure I posted that in jest, who would have ever guessed we actually had a shot at Fred back then?

It wasn't that surprising to land Hoiberg given his family's history at dear ol' Nebraska U.

And his star wasn't shining that brightly after his attempt at coaching da Bulls. Still, though, for Nebrasketball... a huge coup, tbh.

I know I was pretty pumped NU got him, in fact, it happened on my birthday!! GBR!!

4 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Complete apples vs. oranges comparison.  We do control our own destiny this year.  Win the the two home games, beat a bad Michigan team and that's it.  Any other win/loss is only about seeding.  No anxiety needed this year, unless we lose a game we shouldn't 🙂

We controlled our destiny then as well. Someone said go 4-2 down the stretch and we went 5-1 down the stretch.

4 hours ago, cipsucks said:

This is the lamest of all posts. Have a nice life.

Why is it the lamest post of all posts?

Fans become all giddy every time Lunardi, or whoever says we are in. We aren't in until we are in.

As eagerly as they carry our water they can just as quickly dump it on our head.

Remember that while most have us in, (85 of 85 I think) it is only by the slimmest of margins. Anywhere from an 8 to an 11 seed. It could very easily slip to 10 of 85. 

Most NCAA teams can have the "been there, done that" mentality.   Unfortunately, Nebraska hasn't been successful, going and winning at the dance.  For some people, including me, that creates anxiety; both before and during games.  I trust our team and I deeply love our team.  Probably more than every other fan out there (granted that is my humble opinion).  Yet given our less than stellar past, in my minds eye, we have to win each game in order to prove our worthiness to be invited to the dance.  I know that is unrealistic; but it is what feeds that anxiety, right, wrong or otherwise. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:57 PM, Ron Mexico said:

Why is it the lamest post of all posts?

Fans become all giddy every time Lunardi, or whoever says we are in. We aren't in until we are in.

As eagerly as they carry our water they can just as quickly dump it on our head.

Remember that while most have us in, (85 of 85 I think) it is only by the slimmest of margins. Anywhere from an 8 to an 11 seed. It could very easily slip to 10 of 85. 

I'd like to offer an apology.  I was too harsh.  I looked at reviving this thread as an act of negativity.  I truly believe people have the ability to speak (type) things into existence. So, don't speak the negative.  I should have said, instead of 2018, why not bring back the thread of No Sit Sunday?  I could have handled it much better.  GBR!

14 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I'd like to offer an apology.  I was too harsh.  I looked at reviving this thread as an act of negativity.  I truly believe people have the ability to speak (type) things into existence. So, don't speak the negative.  I should have said, instead of 2018, why not bring back the thread of No Sit Sunday?  I could have handled it much better.  GBR!

No worries. My goal was not to make anyone angry. I’m very nervous, more nervous than I’ve been since “No Sit Sunday.”

4 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Do not be nervous.  This team wins game(s) in the Dance. I have never been this certain in the 5+ decades following this program.  I guarantee it as much as I guarantee no one out here cares about anyone who plays for Creighton. 

I've been confident all season, except when NU played CU. It's going to be a fun final two games at PBA. Onward and upward. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker