Starting To Get Anxiety...

hhcdave

About making the Dance.

Normally, I'd say "we control our own destiny" with 8-4 and 6 games left including the conference tournament.

However, I'm starting to think we DON'T control our own destiny because of jack asses like Joe Lunardi and Bracket Geeks.

They're SO OBSESSED with the B1G being down, and us not playing two games against the Top 3, that they're almost saying even winning out won't do it unless we also win 1-2 in the B1G Tournament. How much bullshit is that?

You're telling me 14-4 in the Big 10, with 23 wins, and an RPI inside 50, isn't going to get us in?

I apologize to the posted ten days ago who I called out for saying "we have to run the table to get in." I'm starting to sadly think they're correct. And even that might not do it.

Please tell me to calm down and help me ease my anxiety. There are much more important things in the world but I'm legitimately uptight, anxious and angry about this. Are we REALLY going to get left out if we go 14-4 but lose to Michigan/Maryland/Indiana in the B1G Tournament?

Furthermore, if we lose one more game (let's say maryland) but then beat Michigan before losing the next game, does that get us in?

Pretty ridicolous.

No need for anxiety - there's still a month of regular season left plus the BTT...so much can happen between now and then.  Who knows what the bracketologists think, and honestly who cares at this point?

Only thing to really do is enjoy the ride and realize we've got a 20 win regular season pretty much on lockdown for the first time since the Nee era.  I'd say considering the past 20 years, that's something to be happy about...let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

4 hours ago, 49r said:

No need for anxiety - there's still a month of regular season left plus the BTT...so much can happen between now and then.  Who knows what the bracketologists think, and honestly who cares at this point?

Only thing to really do is enjoy the ride and realize we've got a 20 win regular season pretty much on lockdown for the first time since the Nee era.  I'd say considering the past 20 years, that's something to be happy about...let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

I would agree under normal years.  But man, with the B10 this lowly, you gotta raise your expectations.  Finishing 14-4 in this B10 is like finishing 10-8 in years past.  This is a tournament team with the schedule to allow us to be in charge of our destiny.  If we win out the regular season, no way in hell do we not make it.  We lose one, and we're wringing our hands over the poor performances at Penn State, UCF, St Johns, and not beating our in-state rival.

6 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I apologize to the posted ten days ago who I called out for saying "we have to run the table to get in." I'm starting to sadly think they're correct. And even that might not do it.

As of a couple days ago, I'm in the same boat as you now. I'm under the impression now that we either need to find a way to get a Tier 1 win or make it to Saturday in MSG. Both are utterly ridiculous given that we have proven we can be a tournament team. But the brackets obviously don't care about a 17-8 team considering other teams on the bubble have 3-5 fewer games in the books than we do at this point.

Evenif a team like Alabama (14-8) closes out their conference slate 4-5 in their next four games I see the committee still taking them because they beat Auburn and Oklahoma (even though they lost to Minnesota and UCF).

We just need to hope the committee doesn't put in a bunch of 17-14 teams just because they each found a way to knock down a Tier 1 team. Your anxieties are very valid and unfortunately I can't put you at ease there.

I think the anxiety comes from the fact that the Huskers don't play for 8 days and all of us are sitting around waiting for some good news on the bracket front. I'm just more sulking over that Nebraska could win 2/3 of their conference games and not make the NCAA tourney. Hell, most years that would be a very good seed in the tournament. And it seems like that conference victory target has moved higher with each coming week. It started as 11-7 being the goal and now has moved to 14-4. Trying to enjoy the ride but a trip to the NCAA tournament is what I want. So every night I check the "games of interest" thread and cheer like hell against every team that needs to lose to help our chances.

2 hours ago, ATupe said:

I would agree under normal years.  But man, with the B10 this lowly, you gotta raise your expectations.  Finishing 14-4 in this B10 is like finishing 10-8 in years past.  This is a tournament team with the schedule to allow us to be in charge of our destiny.  If we win out the regular season, no way in hell do we not make it.  We lose one, and we're wringing our hands over the poor performances at Penn State, UCF, St Johns, and not beating our in-state rival.

14-4 is not like 10-8 other years. Give me a break. 

If we just continue to win it will sort itself out.  I think we probably have to win out at home and get one more on the road.  The brackets and the "bracket experts" opinions change with the wind.  Just a couple days ago Maryland was still in Lunardi's next four out.  I don't think anybody at this point could argue with a straight face that Maryland has a better resume than us right now. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If we just continue to win it will sort itself out.  I think we probably have to win out at home and get one more on the road.  The brackets and the "bracket experts" opinions change with the wind.  Just a couple days ago Maryland was still in Lunardi's next four out.  I don't think anybody at this point could argue with a straight face that Maryland has a better resume than us right now. 

I agree.  We control our destiny.  If we continue to win, we are in.

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Exactly.  If we don't win, this will all be wasted energy and angst.   If we do, it will take care of itself.  We have some tough games left.    At Minny and at Illinois won't be cakewalks.  And I was impressed with Penn State last night; there is a lot of talent on that team and while it has not played well historically in Lincoln, I see that as a tough game.   Personally I'm more worried about winning the damn games than I am about talking heads like Lunardi. 

Don't know if this will help, Dave, but this is my reaction on how the year may shake out if we are not picked (not taking the league tourney into consideration). A. 23 wins: utter disbelief and borderline paranoia , Lunardi-was -spotted-on-the-grassy-knoll mode B. 22 wins: profound disappointment, Nebraska- basketball- always- gets- disrespected-  by- biased- and- indifferent- observers mode C. 21 wins: thanks for the season, guys, now let's- go- out- and- win- the- NIT mode D. 20 or below: Meh, about what I expected before the season began, let's- all- return -next- year and really plan to make some postseason noise mode. And, Dave, do not stress out over any of this. Chronic high anxiety levels have been shown to be associated with the development of Alzheimers, as well as most other serious health problems!  

5 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

.And, Dave, do not stress out over any of this. Chronic high anxiety levels have been shown to be associated with the development of Alzheimers, as well as most other serious health problems!  

Crap, Jimmy, I'm doomed.  

What the hell were we talking about?

8 hours ago, hhcdave said:

About making the Dance.

Normally, I'd say "we control our own destiny" with 8-4 and 6 games left including the conference tournament.

However, I'm starting to think we DON'T control our own destiny because of jack asses like Joe Lunardi and Bracket Geeks.

They're SO OBSESSED with the B1G being down, and us not playing two games against the Top 3, that they're almost saying even winning out won't do it unless we also win 1-2 in the B1G Tournament. How much bullshit is that?

You're telling me 14-4 in the Big 10, with 23 wins, and an RPI inside 50, isn't going to get us in?

Please tell me to calm down and help me ease my anxiety. There are much more important things in the world but I'm legitimately uptight, anxious and angry about this. Are we REALLY going to get left out if we go 14-4 but lose to Michigan/Maryland/Indiana in the B1G Tournament?

Furthermore, if we lose one more game (let's say maryland) but then beat Michigan before losing the next game, does that get us in?

Pretty ridicolous.

Exactly how I'm feeling..  We could damn near set a school record for wins and not make the tournament... WTF..

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Agree. If we win out we will get in, no doubt in my mind. We'd be 23-8 with an RPI in the low 40s. Even if we lost to Michigan in the 4/5 game, our RPI wouldn't drop much at all. Losing to a high-RPI team can be better than beating a bad team. For example, Maryland actually jumped us last night after losing at Purdue. That was better for them than a home win would have been against Rutgers. If our RPI is in the top 50, I see no way the committee keeps us out with the way we're currently playing.

I stand by my statement from last week that 23 is the number that makes me feel comfortable. The only way I could see 23 not being enough is if we finish 5-1 and end up with the 5 seed, meaning our 23rd and final win would be against the 12 seed, followed by a loss to Michigan in the 4/5 game. But the only way a 5-1 finish would not result in the 4 seed is if Michigan wins out, which is unlikely given their schedule.

22 wins would make it really close, IMO. I think it might be enough if we went 4-2, secured the 4 seed, beat Michigan in the 4/5 game, then lost a close one to Purdue. Any other scenario with only 22 wins, and my bet is that we're on the outside looking in.

9 hours ago, 49r said:

That's basically where I'm at. I have no problem with people getting anxiety over this, you're a fan why not? To me since Nebrasketball was never supposed to be here in the first place, this whole season has been gravy. 

Granted my stress levels shoot up during games but we have 5 more days to rest before that happens. I'm just enjoying the ride brah

Image result for frankie says relax

Edited by Red Rum

10 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I would prescribe the following for your anxiety:

CmheAACr.jpg

9 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

FWIW we're typically up to our waists in speculating on who we're bringing in to replace Miles at this point in the year.

Let me throw out a short list of who we should open up the check book for:

-Gregg Marshall (at least make him say no)

-Tyronn Lue (he'd jump at the chance to come back to coach his alma mater)

-Fred Hoiberg (finally the chance to come home, just like ScoFro)

-Thad Matta (tanned, rested and ready!)

-Tom Crean (he really wasn't all that bad at Indiana!)

Does that just about cover it?