We have been 8-4 or better since 1998-99

PimpMario

Percentage-wise, we have the potential to make history.  Let's say we go 5-1 the rest of the way and finish at 13-5 (.722).  That would be our best conference record since '65-66 (12-2 and .857).  Even finishing 4-2 for a 12-6 record (.667) would be our best showing since '75-76 (10-4, .714).

Either way, it's a better in-conference record than some of our more celebrated teams:
-77-78 NIT team (22-8 and 9-5)
-82-83 NIT Final 4 team (22-10 and 9-5)

-85-86 NCAA team (19-10 and 8-6)

-all 5 of Danny's NCAA teams, none that ever did better in-conference than 9-5 in 1991. 

5 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

Percentage-wise, we have the potential to make history.  Let's say we go 5-1 the rest of the way and finish at 13-5 (.722).  That would be our best conference record since '65-66 (12-2 and .857).  Even finishing 4-2 for a 12-6 record (.667) would be our best showing since '75-76 (10-4, .714).

Either way, it's a better in-conference record than some of our more celebrated teams:

-all 5 of Danny's NCAA teams, none that ever did better in-conference than 9-5 in 1991. 

I was pretty young during the best Nee years, were his non conference schedules poor most times?

8 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

If the tournament had been 64-68 teams back before the mid-'80s, those '66, '78 and '83 teams might have done some NCAA damage. Damn.

1 hour ago, northwillriseagain said:

I was pretty young during the best Nee years, were his non conference schedules poor most times?

I don't know.  The scheduling was pretty similar.  We played good teams such as Southern Cal, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Creighton (although they were not very good then), but also played teams like Missouri KC, Southern Utah, et al.  So schedules were built in a very similar format. 

The USC team had a consensus All-American on their team (Harold Miner) and Michigan State had a good team led by Steve Smith.

9 hours ago, PimpMario said:

I can't ever remember having this good of a conference record and I have been going to games since 2000.

So I looked it up, we were 9-3 in 1998-99. We promptly went 1-3 and fell to the NIT.

Should have been in the Big Dance that year.  Selection Committee screwed us over.  That team had the talent to win a game or two in the tourney.  Had that happened, the words "Barry Collier" would never have appeared on a Nebraska message board.  (or, any sentence that begins with the word "again" for that matter)....

I've been reading on here that, hey, the season is compressed and we're a week early compared to where we would have been in years past, so don't get carried about that "Most wins before February" blah blah blah.

I just heard on the Tim Miles show that this is the fewest games to reach our current mark of 17 wins in 27 years.

7 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I don't know.  The scheduling was pretty similar.  We played good teams such as Southern Cal, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Creighton (although they were not very good then), but also played teams like Missouri KC, Southern Utah, et al.  So schedules were built in a very similar format. 

The USC team had a consensus All-American on their team (Harold Miner) and Michigan State had a good team led by Steve Smith.

I was at that game vs. USC. Miner put on one heckuva performance that night. Definitely earned the nickname "Baby Jordan" in my eyes. Was always surprised he didn't achieve more at the next level, but man he was something to see that night in Lincoln.

1 hour ago, demone said:

I was at that game vs. USC. Miner put on one heckuva performance that night. Definitely earned the nickname "Baby Jordan" in my eyes. Was always surprised he didn't achieve more at the next level, but man he was something to see that night in Lincoln.

I was at that one too.  Miner was a beast.  MSU's Steve Smith, K-State's Michael Beasley, Durant with Texas, Ron Kellogg with KU, Anthony Peeler & Doug Smith with Mizzou. Those are some of the big time opponent games I remember.  Men amongst boys kinda stuff.   

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, PimpMario said:

I can't ever remember having this good of a conference record and I have been going to games since 2000.

So I looked it up, we were 9-3 in 1998-99. We promptly went 1-3 and fell to the NIT.

In other words fighting for fourth place is pretty uncharted territory.

Hopefully we can finish strong.

That team was bumped out of the Dance by a Sooner squad that we beat in Norman with Eduardo Najera'. Still puts a burr under my blanket...  

Edited by Handy Johnson

22 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I saw that SC game, Miner had 44 and we still won by 15. MSU was ranker 5th in the Country and we beat them at the buzzer. But yes, this team has a chance to be "Special" Let's win out and see how we fare in the B1G Tourney. 

17 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've been reading on here that, hey, the season is compressed and we're a week early compared to where we would have been in years past, so don't get carried about that "Most wins before February" blah blah blah.

I just heard on the Tim Miles show that this is the fewest games to reach our current mark of 17 wins in 27 years.

I heard him say that last night as well.  Actually, that feat has been matched on several occasions (in orange) in the last 27 years.  1992 was the last time it took less than 25 games to reach 17 wins.

image.png

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, HuskerCager said:

I heard him say that last night as well.  Actually, that feat has been matched on several occasions (in orange) in the last 27 years.  1992 was the last time it took less than 25 games to reach 17 wins.

image.png

The 1991 team should have been 19-0 at that point, should have never lost to Popeye Jones and Murray State or Shaun Vandiver & Rodell House Guest and Colorado.  They also should never have lost at home to Oklahoma State or to Missouri in the conference tournament.  (The losses at Kansas with Mark Randall, Oklahoma State with Byron Houston, and Missouri with Peeler & Smith I could live with.)  Or, of course, to Xavier.  (I still remember when my friend that I shared an apartment with got back from Minneapolis after that game - he was sports editor of the Daily Nebraskan at the time - and we were still both so damn depressed that neither of us could barely speak.)