Time to eat a little crow

big red22

4 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Looks like a bunch of Football stuff (no surprise). I just can't wait til we make our Sweet 16 run and all the "casual" Huskers fans will be lookin' for a spot on the Bandwagon. I'll be more than happy to tell them to p*ss off, or at least ask them if they know who Stan Cloudy is.

Let them on the wagon. If Nebrasketball has some success and fans jump on the bandwagon, and we have excitement around the program, we could finally have sustainable success rather than just a flash here or there. It will be good for our team and we will always know that we were there through the tough years. 

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

I know. I know the more the merrier. It just irks me (yes I'm petty) that MOST of us ride along with this team year in and year out regardless of their record. NOW they're winning and EVERYBODY'S a fan. Oh well, all you can say is Go Big Red!  

Oh I know quite a few of these folks you speak of, and I will forever let them know they are a bandwagon fan if they start cheering for them.  It all boils down to them jumping off and hopping on Creighton's bandwagon. 

That I am not okay with, and they will never get to enjoy Nebraska basketball the way we do.  Why, because we know what we've been through to get there. IMO it really pays off to be loyal to a struggling team!  

PS.  I have a bet with one of the fans you speak of that Roby will get drafted to the NBA at some point.  Made it last year!  Not sure he will yet, but I still see it happening at some point

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

5. The amount of crap Huskerbaseball13 takes on here these days is synonymous to the amount of crap Miles takes for losing the last three years while he's winning.  ;)

We need @huskerbaseball13's take as much as we need anyone else's. It's important to hear from a broad range of opinions, and his is often sharp but necessary. Here's to the eternal optimists, here's to the eternal pessimists, and here's to everyone in between. We all care about Nebrasketball more than anyone probably should.

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Edited by jayschool

It will be interesting to see if they keep this run going and miles gets the 3 or 4 year extension we think he needs if he’s gonna stay what it does for recruiting. the class after there last appearance led to Watson n morrow( both top 150 guys ) then Jacobsen too, I’d argue there is a much better talent base n overall environment currently than back in 14-15 and a bunch of scholarships to give out. 

3 hours ago, big red22 said:

I am not the biggest fan of Miles offense, and have questioned the minutes he has given out throughout this year.  I have never been a basher, but I called him out numerous times for things.  The thought of his firing even crossed my mind, but I have never posted it.

Here are some things I have complained about...

1. Not calling a time out at the end of the Kansas game

2. Starting Okeke over Roby for the Penn St. game when Jordy left the team

3. Not playing Palmer in OT

4. His overall handling of Roby, because I've always felt he is not used correctly.  This is finally turning around thank GOD!

Those are the big ones that I remember.  His player management yesterday was a thing of beauty, and the switch to the 1-3-1 was perfect timing.  I know they haven't officially made the post season yet (NIT or NCAA) but he is getting the most out of this team right now. 

For the record I am far less critical than multiple posters(cough cough huskerbaseball13 cough cough) on here, but I know when I am out of line.  I am now owning up to it!

If eating a full amount of crow means we go dancing then keep it coming.  And no, I'm not saying Miles should be fired if we fail to receive an at large. 

As some of you know, I occasionally lurk at Huskers Online and review the basketball threads.  

I note there are a couple of posters who usually jump into any basketball discussion for the sake of roasting Miles who've been pretty quiet over there lately.

Haven't heard much from Tuco Salamander in awhile.  That's a good thing.  4-6-3 (f/k/a Nebprepfan) has been mercifully silenced by our recent run of success.

It's funny because the "I don't want to hear any excuses" crowd goes to the opposite extreme and doesn't want to be bothered with any reasons, either.

Take last year, for instance.

We scheduled based on the understanding that Benedict Arnold III would still be on the team.  We wouldn't have scheduled as tough in the non-con had we understood he'd not be back.  We still had some good players and some good talent but we had very little perimeter firepower, which he would have provided.  So, we get blitzed in some games.  Show some toughness and keep them close for the most part, but that tested a young team's morale.

Add to that, we had one or two "personalities" on the team last year that didn't advance the "Us Always" kind of mindset.  More like "Me First, and the 'us' part once I get mine."  The end of last year represented some addition by subtraction and a team cancer excised itself into a redshirt year with a different program.

I'd been saying for a long, long time that the collapse at the end of last year was not a reflection of the quality of the team or the coaching.  They just ran out of bounce-back and the adversity revealed the character of at least one player who is no longer with us but might have been.  And it kinda sunk the morale of everyone else.  Not that they quit, but that they couldn't all figure out how to put it together.  They were discombobulated, out of sync, trying too hard in some cases.

But some people who don't want to hear excuses just want to take a superficial look at the final record and the end-of-year swoon and say we have a crappy team and crappy coaches and we need to clean house.  What is needed in those times is more of a rational, nuanced examination of maybe some of the underlying reasons why success didn't occur.

Eichorst decided to keep Miles around another year and, if he hadn't, I'm quite confident we'd not be looking at being on the front side of any bubble discussion. So, it's a good thing fans weren't in control of the process. Heaven help us where we'd be now if they were.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Looks like a bunch of Football stuff (no surprise). I just can't wait til we make our Sweet 16 run and all the "casual" Huskers fans will be lookin' for a spot on the Bandwagon. I'll be more than happy to tell them to p*ss off, or at least ask them if they know who Stan Cloudy is.

Wasn't he the father to Partly Cloudy?

As for me, I was a consistent and vocal Miles supporter until the skid at the end of last season and subsequent transfer of three key players, with Glynn also mulling over his options. The program was really at rock bottom at that point, and the mood was very down among the coaches, players and fans. I was really ready for a change and was disappointed when Eichorst retained Miles. If Miles Corp. were a stock, that would have been its bottom, and I was ready to sell and cut my losses.

Then things started to turn around. Glynn announced he was staying, Miles and his staff won a huge recruiting battle for Thomas Allen, and then added an athletic center prospect in Okeke. I started to feel better about Tim and his program.

I’m now back in Miles’ corner and am currently in favor of an extension. Last year was miserable, and I don’t feel guilty for wanting to go in another direction. Miles has admitted that he too was miserable on a personal level last year, and that probably permeated the entire mood of the program itself. It wasn't just about wins and losses for me. I felt the culture was broken too. I give Miles a ton of credit for righting the ship. I hope he continues to grow and evolve as a coach, because that's probably the best scenario for Nebraska basketball right now.

I'm not totally sold on Miles, yet. Obviously I love what's going on this year, and next year could be really special if Palmer and Copeland return. But I'm still wondering what's going to happen if we don't continue to thrive as Transfer U. I have no problem with being that school, but what if we don't land another couple of studs this offseason to contribute in 2019-2020? The high school recruiting alone has not been good enough to compete for tourney bids. Maybe a nice run of success here will propel that.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

3 hours ago, PimpMario said:

My fear is that we lose a lot of talent in the offseason and suffer though another losing season next year.

Do you think Copeland will be back?  He turns 23 this summer.    Do you think Palmer will be back?   He will turn 22 this summer?     They both have another year of eligibility ,but will they use it or will they try to make some money somewhere playing basketball and start life after college. 

It could be scary next year  if they both departed after this semester.    This team could be really amazing next year if they returned.

2 minutes ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

Do you think Copeland will be back?  He turns 23 this summer.    Do you think Palmer will be back?   He will turn 22 this summer?     They both have another year of eligibility ,but will they use it or will they try to make some money somewhere playing basketball and start life after college. 

It could be scary next year  if they both departed after this semester.    This team could be really amazing next year if they returned.

Buzzkill.

As some of you know, I occasionally lurk at Huskers Online and review the basketball threads.  

I note there are a couple of posters who usually jump into any basketball discussion for the sake of roasting Miles who've been pretty quiet over there lately.

Haven't heard much from Tuco Salamander in awhile.  That's a good thing.  4-6-3 (f/k/a Nebprepfan) has been mercifully silenced by our recent run of success.

It's funny because the "I don't want to hear any excuses" crowd goes to the opposite extreme and doesn't want to be bothered with any reasons, either.

Take last year, for instance.

We scheduled based on the understanding that Benedict Arnold III would still be on the team.  We wouldn't have scheduled as tough in the non-con had we understood he'd not be back.  We still had some good players and some good talent but we had very little perimeter firepower, which he would have provided.  So, we get blitzed in some games.  Show some toughness and keep them close for the most part, but that tested a young team's morale.

Add to that, we had one or two "personalities" on the team last year that didn't advance the "Us Always" kind of mindset.  More like "Me First, and the 'us' part once I get mine."  The end of last year represented some addition by subtraction and a team cancer excised itself into a redshirt year with a different program.

I'd been saying for a long, long time that the collapse at the end of last year was not a reflection of the quality of the team or the coaching.  They just ran out of bounce-back and the adversity revealed the character of at least one player who is no longer with us but might have been.  And it kinda sunk the morale of everyone else.  Not that they quit, but that they couldn't all figure out how to put it together.  They were discombobulated, out of sync, trying too hard in some cases.

But some people who don't want to hear excuses just want to take a superficial look at the final record and the end-of-year swoon and say we have a crappy team and crappy coaches and we need to clean house.  What is needed in those times is more of a rational, nuanced examination of maybe some of the underlying reasons why success didn't occur.

Eichorst decided to keep Miles around another year and, if he hadn't, I'm quite confident we'd not be looking at being on the front side of any bubble discussion. So, it's a good thing fans weren't in control of the process. Heaven help us where we'd be now if they were.
I hear ya, but I heard the reasons for doc and Collier too. And it is their programs. And can blame players but they were recruited by the coach.

And Miles schedule this year is hurting us, I remember how when he was hired he was going to craft the best schedules to take advantage of RPI.

Last year was year 5, and the 3rd losing season in a row.

We are in year 6 of Miles and hopefully we can just look forward with more or less positive momentum.

I will accept a respectable NIT run this year but the losing seasons have to stop. And we need to eventually go dancing.

I said in another thread I don't think either of those guys are NBA players.

But they probably aren't NBA players if they hang around.

I do really hope they hang around but they may want to start their post college life since they are so old.

4 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I said in another thread I don't think either of those guys are NBA players.

But they probably aren't NBA players if they hang around.

I do really hope they hang around but they may want to start their post college life since they are so old.

I could definitely see Palmer in the NBA. He's got the height for a 2-guard. He's got seemingly long arms (idk the measurables), which is important for defense. And he has a tremendous ability to score. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he carved out a role in the NBA.

I also think Copeland has the ability to be a 4 in the NBA. They love guys with his height and skillset.

He should have scheduled the ACC instead of the B1G.  Maybe next year.
He said It's not about playing high rpi teams but avoiding 300+ teams.

I remember being really excited about that.

Yet we scheduled Stetson, D St, and another terrible team.

If we need to open up the paycheck to get some 100s rpi MAC teams let's go that.

1 minute ago, PimpMario said:

He said It's not about playing high rpi teams but avoiding 300+ teams.

I remember being really excited about that.

Yet we scheduled Stetson, D St, and another terrible team.

If we need to open up the paycheck to get some 100s rpi MAC teams let's go that.

I think Miles was a little concerned about his roster and his job at the time.

45 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i think miles waited way too long to start roby, and the palmer benching against penn st is still a head scratcher.

but at least we have our rotations set now and are winning games.

Before Palmer Benching: 12-6 (.666 Winning percentage), Palmer performing like a Big 10 Honorable Mention guard.

After Benching: 5-1... 5-2 if you want to throw the PSU game in there.  (.714 winning percentage).  Palmer performing like a Big 10 First Team guard.

I'd take the benching any day of the week.