Time to eat a little crow

big red22

I am not the biggest fan of Miles offense, and have questioned the minutes he has given out throughout this year.  I have never been a basher, but I called him out numerous times for things.  The thought of his firing even crossed my mind, but I have never posted it.

Here are some things I have complained about...

1. Not calling a time out at the end of the Kansas game

2. Starting Okeke over Roby for the Penn St. game when Jordy left the team

3. Not playing Palmer in OT

4. His overall handling of Roby, because I've always felt he is not used correctly.  This is finally turning around thank GOD!

Those are the big ones that I remember.  His player management yesterday was a thing of beauty, and the switch to the 1-3-1 was perfect timing.  I know they haven't officially made the post season yet (NIT or NCAA) but he is getting the most out of this team right now. 

For the record I am far less critical than multiple posters(cough cough huskerbaseball13 cough cough) on here, but I know when I am out of line.  I am now owning up to it!

I can consider this my Miles mea culpa.

Up until last night I have thought that Miles should be fired unless he can make the tournament this year.

But this team is so fun to watch I would be okay if he were retained assuming we finish strong and look decent in the NIT.

My fear is that we lose a lot of talent in the offseason and suffer though another losing season next year.

I will also admit to day dreaming about what a new coach could do with the talent we have. But Miles deserves some credit for getting that talent on campus.

Basically this recent run has put me back on the fence about Miles.

That's awfully magnanimous of you.
I am allowed to admit how I feel about Miles, I made no attempt to hide it after last year.

At some point Nebrasketball fans and administration have to get tired of losing don't they?

Miles was 75-84 (33-57) with 3 losing seasons in a row.

The only positive from retaining Miles was that I didn't want eichorst making a hire.

But last offseason was bleak as a Nebrasketball fan.

1 minute ago, PimpMario said:

I am allowed to admit how I feel about Miles, I made no attempt to hide it after last year.

At some point Nebrasketball fans and administration have to get tired of losing don't they?

Miles was 75-84 (33-57) with 3 losing seasons in a row.

The only positive from retaining Miles was that I didn't want eichorst making a hire.

But last offseason was bleak as a Nebrasketball fan.

Nebrasketball fans have a long history of bleak years.  

14 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I feel like we are always lowering our expectations.

I hate losing as much as anyone, but I understand that giving a coach at a program with no history and in the spot Doc left it, a few years to attempt to right the ship.  IF we could hire a coach that is a big time name and kids will come to play for no matter what or if we hired a coach that walked into the talent Martin did at Misery I would expect different things.  The pieces could be in place for several years of success. IF we go backwards than I hope the administration takes a good long look and makes a change if needed.

Edited by colhusker

It is amazing how smart a coach can be when he has the horses. Last season went south because Nebraska expected a certain high-scoring player to remain in the fold but he didn't. Now, after significant attrition, the Huskers have filled the void with ballers. It's quite remarkable.

And the attitude & resolve of this team appears to have been changing in the past couple of weeks. It's a fun & wild ride. Win & advance. GBR

44 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I am not the biggest fan of Miles offense, and have questioned the minutes he has given out throughout this year.  I have never been a basher, but I called him out numerous times for things.  The thought of his firing even crossed my mind, but I have never posted it.

Here are some things I have complained about...

1. Not calling a time out at the end of the Kansas game

2. Starting Okeke over Roby for the Penn St. game when Jordy left the team

3. Not playing Palmer in OT

4. His overall handling of Roby, because I've always felt he is not used correctly.  This is finally turning around thank GOD!

Those are the big ones that I remember.  His player management yesterday was a thing of beauty, and the switch to the 1-3-1 was perfect timing.  I know they haven't officially made the post season yet (NIT or NCAA) but he is getting the most out of this team right now. 

For the record I am far less critical than multiple posters(cough cough huskerbaseball13 cough cough) on here, but I know when I am out of line.  I am now owning up to it!

5. The amount of crap Huskerbaseball13 takes on here these days is synonymous to the amount of crap Miles takes for losing the last three years while he's winning.  ;)

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I think there were other power brokers around NU that felt similarly. No inside info, just reading between some lines with the benefit of hindsight.

The other thing, besides the bodies that were coming in, was the fact that you would have been competing against Indiana, Ohio St, and Illinois with what would be the 4th best available B1G job.

TBH I wouldn't be against us firing Miles and hiring someone "better" even if he did something like make the Sweet 16.  At the end of the day we either need to fire him or extend him 3+ years because anything inbetween and not only are you handcuffing his recruiting but it's probable he walks and we're left in a lurch.

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

The other thing, besides the bodies that were coming in, was the fact that you would have been competing against Indiana, Ohio St, and Illinois with what would be the 4th best available B1G job.

TBH I wouldn't be against us firing Miles and hiring someone "better" even if he did something like make the Sweet 16.  At the end of the day we either need to fire him or extend him 3+ years because anything inbetween and not only are you handcuffing his recruiting but it's probable he walks and we're left in a lurch.

Miles doesn't have the same agent that Fran does does he?