Big Ten Coach of the Year?

Norm Peterson

So, we were picked by most media to finish either next-to-last or dead last, but here we sit solidly in 4th place, two-thirds of the way through conference play.  If things continue this direction, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Big Ten Coach of the Year honors go to Matt Painter.

Or Tom Izzo.  Everyone likes Izzo.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, we were picked by most media to finish either next-to-last or dead last, but here we sit solidly in 4th place, two-thirds of the way through conference play.  If things continue this direction, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Big Ten Coach of the Year honors go to Matt Painter.

Or Tom Izzo.  Everyone likes Izzo.

Huskers have exceeded expectations by "Miles" (pun intended). With that being said, I think Chris Holtmann may get the nod!

If Holtmann wins, they'll need to saw the trophy in two and give half of it to Keita Bates-Diop.  He's the real MVP.

Reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where they get Darryl Strawberry to play on the company softball team.  Mr. Burns sends Strawberry to bat and tells him to hit a homerun, which Strawberry promptly does.  Burns says "I told him to do that!" and Smithers responds unironically, "Brilliant strategy, sir."

I think Thad would have looked a lot smarter as a coach had Keita not been injured last year.  So, the improvement under Holtmann isn't as easy as comparing last year under Matta with this year under Holtmann.  And Holtmann certainly doesn't get credit for all the change.

Nebraska is a bit different.  It's Miles' roster, Miles' players, the recruits Miles brought in.  And, yeah, we had a couple guys sitting out as transfers who probably account for a lot of our success.  But a lot of teams had newcomers join the program this year, and everyone knew who we had sitting out last year.  And, still, nearly everyone had us in the bottom two.  

Bates-Diop averaged 12 ppg as a true sophomore before playing hurt as a junior (and still averaging 10 ppg before going down completely after 10 games.)  Who saw James Palmer coming in, though, and doing what he's done?  

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Holtmann wins, they'll need to saw the trophy in two and give half of it to Keita Bates-Diop.  He's the real MVP.

Reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where they get Darryl Strawberry to play on the company softball team.  Mr. Burns sends Strawberry to bat and tells him to hit a homerun, which Strawberry promptly does.  Burns says "I told him to do that!" and Smithers responds unironically, "Brilliant strategy, sir."

I think Thad would have looked a lot smarter as a coach had Keita not been injured last year.  So, the improvement under Holtmann isn't as easy as comparing last year under Matta with this year under Holtmann.  And Holtmann certainly doesn't get credit for all the change.

Nebraska is a bit different.  It's Miles' roster, Miles' players, the recruits Miles brought in.  And, yeah, we had a couple guys sitting out as transfers who probably account for a lot of our success.  But a lot of teams had newcomers join the program this year, and everyone knew who we had sitting out last year.  And, still, nearly everyone had us in the bottom two.  

Bates-Diop averaged 12 ppg as a true sophomore before playing hurt as a junior (and still averaging 10 ppg before going down completely after 10 games.)  Who saw James Palmer coming in, though, and doing what he's done?  

Jim Larranaga?

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

When Palmer left Miami, I read the Miami boards and people were saying things like he was slow, unathletic, couldn't shoot, thanks for clearing some roster space to get someone good. etc.  They were not sorry to see JPJr leaving.  Just sayin. 

Same with Copeland, Petteway, Pitchford to an extent.  Miles has really made lemonade with what others assumed was an apple.

5 hours ago, 49r said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Izzo isn't gonna be winning any awards this year...keeping his job will be enough of an award after the shitstorm he's gonna have to endure the next few weeks.

But yeah, it's probably down to Painter or Holtmann.

Holtmann's the big surprise, and I gotta admit, he's my choice, even with a bit of fade at the end. 

Miles is likely going to get some votes again. 

Everyone likes the coaches that finish way above where they were predicted. Purdue was expected to be good this season. And they are. 

Same with Izzo. 

Next year will be interesting, too, because I think Underwood's going to be in the mix. The Illini aren't far off.