The Seat is Hot

HuskerFever

Our depth from our bench has been so refreshing this year. We've had a very warm bench. I'm convinced we've been able to minimize injuries and survive 1-day preparation games because of this. I can't remember the last time we've been this fortunate. And in the last five games, Tshimanga definitely takes the cake poutine for being the most impactful player off the bench. Taylor gets a tip of the hat as well.

(Wait... what did you think this thread was about? Coach Miles? :lol:)

Curious as to what Gill has shot as a starter vs off the bench?  While Gill is a solid defender he’s not Evan Taylor good.  If we are gonna not score at the start of the game regardless maybe having ET out there to shut people down early and having Gill’s firepower come off the bench might be a good thing......?

Between Gill and Taylor it seems like whoever is coming off the bench plays better. We might just have to accept that starting spot isn't that productive offensively.

6 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Between Gill and Taylor it seems like whoever is coming off the bench plays better. We might just have to accept that starting spot isn't that productive offensively.

Nice thing is, most nights it doesn't have to be productive offensively for the most part.  If Copeland Watson and Palmer are going well, I will take what the two give us.

I am still left to wonder what magic event(s) led to Jack not seeing the light of day from the bench.  He went from being a viable alternative last season (with a lot of minutes played) to nada.  I know there are many who agree with the decision, and the team is certainly reaping the benefits of who IS playing, but it is still amazing how fast Jack went from 60 to 0, so to speak. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

I am still left to wonder what magic event(s) led to Jack not seeing the light of day from the bench.  He went from being a viable alternative last season (with a lot of minutes played) to nada.  I know there are many who agree with the decision, and the team is certainly reaping the benefits of who IS playing, but it is still amazing how fast Jack went from 60 to 0, so to speak. 

ya was really surprised he didn't see any minutes last night with all the foul trouble and I also thought it might be a favorable matchup to play him last night but guess coaches thought otherwise....

It is interesting to say the least, I agree w the decision as he’s a liability on defense n a pretty streaky shooter but I like me some jack mctray. If they are gonna run some extended 1 3 1 minutes like last night you would think they would try some Watson, palmer, jack, cope, roby looks with jack filling the gill gunner role on offense since gill currently can’t hit water if he fell outta a boat. 

The decision to go gill over Taylor probably has to do more w spacing on offense to as teams respect gills three, eventually he’s gotta start hitting too as a lot of his looks are open to wide open it seems

would probably rather see jack then the big dube at this point too lol 

Edited by B-town hoopsfan

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Podcasting is hard! It takes a lot of time and dedication.

18 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Curious as to what Gill has shot as a starter vs off the bench?  While Gill is a solid defender he’s not Evan Taylor good.  If we are gonna not score at the start of the game regardless maybe having ET out there to shut people down early and having Gill’s firepower come off the bench might be a good thing......?

I am curious as to what Gill's 3 pt % is at home compared to the road. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it seems like it has been more of a road vs home thing than a starter thing. We have just had a higher percentage of road games recently.

29 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

I am curious as to what Gill's 3 pt % is at home compared to the road. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it seems like it has been more of a road vs home thing than a starter thing. We have just had a higher percentage of road games recently.

For the season Anton Gill is 40% from three on the road, 43% at home, 48% off the bench, 21% as a starter.  

25 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

For the season Anton Gill is 40% from three on the road, 43% at home, 48% off the bench, 21% as a starter.  

To be fair, it's a lot smaller sample size of games he's started (6) than games he's come off the bench in (17). Could just be in a cold stretch. Could be something mental about coming in off the bench. I don't think you can say for certain either way.

Edited by Shawn Eichorst's Toupee

19 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Anton Gill

Minutes

Coming off the Bench: 23.3 mpg

Starting: 24.1 mpg

FG%

Coming off the Bench: .441 (49/111)

Starting: .333 (12/36)

3P%

Coming off the Bench: .486 (34/70)

Starting: .241 (7/29)

28 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

To be fair, it's a lot smaller sample size of games he's started (6) than games he's come off the bench in (17). Could just be in a cold stretch. Could be something mental about coming in off the bench. I don't think you can say for certain either way.

It could just be a slump.  Or it could be that he's not quite where he was physically at the start of the season too, and with the injuries he's coming off of that would be hard to avoid.

Gill has to shoot better, meaning the way he was a couple weeks ago,  for us to reach our potential. I don't think Allen is ready to start and one of our strengths is our length which we downplay with Allen and Watson together. I like Gill coming off the bench because we have enough scorers in the starting lineup. When he comes off the bench it gives us a scorer on the floor as some go to the bench. Regardless of who starts, we need those three to hit some threes.