uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 25 - @ Wisconsin

uneblinstu

Man....Happ creates so much contact. Hard to believe that he doesn’t get called for more fouls on offense because he just wipes people out and displaces defenders at a whim. Makes incredibly tough shots around the basket. He is a great post player.  I love watching him play except when he demolishes us. If he shoots FT we are pry too buried to come back.  Found myself cheering st the TV when we went to zone ‘trap him! Trap him!’  And that we did.  Awesome to see us ramp up the pressure.  Was hoping it would come in the first half when their PG went out of the game but sometimes better to wait on those adjustments until after a long break. 

The 3/4 court extended pressure looked great. Even when we were super small. May want to think of getting in and out of that at points throughout the game. We really run transition offense well out of it. 

When we are a pretty good defensive halfcourt  team it is tough to gamble to come out in an extended defense but we are deep enough to do it as often and as long as we want.  Especially in the last 2 games where other bigs have just owned us with their physicality. 

Maybe we need to go to the high school gyms around Lincoln to practice our transition and kick out 3s. We miss a ton of great looks on the road that we knock down at home. Could be scary good road team. 

Basketball sometimes isn’t so complicated. Make your FT and take care of the ball and good things happen!  GBR

Hope some UNC fans caught this game so they could see Teddy’s crew turn there back to us n blow the whistle then pick a random husker to call a foul on, way to overcome the zebras tonight tho boys. 

As a few have ave stated above boy we are gonna miss Taylor, he may not bring much on offense but he BYOG every game. Loved that karate chop on the Happ lay up, such a smart play. 

Tough game for roby which is gonna happen from time to time. At some point if he’s gonna gaurd bigger 5s he probably needs to learn how to flop to get the charge call similar to what guys were doing to Jordy earlier in the year. Speaking of Jordy doesn’t he look so much more fluid? Like he’s doing things in one motion now as where earlier in the year he was so slow n deliberate. The dude freaking put it on the ground tonight for two dribbles got hacked by two guys n still finished the play, this is the Jordy we have been looking for.  

This rest will be good, other then Copeland no body is shooting ungodly right now anyways, hopefully gill finds his stide in the next week for the stretch run. 

I was at the game and by chance formed a a mini Nebraska  section with 7 other  random Husker fans.  Seats were cheap at 39$ a piece five rows from the floor  even with the free throw line (with the down year Wisconsin is having).  Lots of empty seats especially up high.   It was great to get this win after being down most of the game and having to endure  the repeated complaining by the Wisconsin fans all game long.   They never quit and never lost faith and battled back and got this big road win as the underdog tonight.  

Some observations:

Taylor   , Gill , and Roby didn’t score.

Roby played only 17 minutes due to foul trouble.  What do you think , cheap fouls or bad calls?

Jordy , Duby , and Roby had 13 fouls between them.   Duby was in for 4 minutes total in the game before the first half ended and had  3 fouls and goal tended.  

Jordy looked good.   Like the Jordy of the second half of  last year.  It’s good to have him back playing the way he can.  He came up big tonight.  The team needs Jordy playing well. 

Glen looked real good tonight night as well.  Great to see him get back to be aggressive  taking it to the hoop.   If he keeps this going along with what Copeland and JPJ do most games we’ve got quite a triple threat.

JPJ and Copeland have to be one of the best scoring duos in the Big Ten.   Unbelievable find by Miles.    

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Hope some UNC fans caught this game so they could see Teddy’s crew turn there back to us n blow the whistle then pick a random husker to call a foul on, way to overcome the zebras tonight tho boys. 

As a few have ave stated above boy we are gonna miss Taylor, he may not bring much on offense but he BYOG every game. Loved that karate chop on the Happ lay up, such a smart play. 

Tough game for roby which is gonna happen from time to time. At some point if he’s gonna gaurd bigger 5s he probably needs to learn how to flop to get the charge call similar to what guys were doing to Jordy earlier in the year. Speaking of Jordy doesn’t he look so much more fluid? Like he’s doing things in one motion now as where earlier in the year he was so slow n deliberate. The dude freaking put it on the ground tonight for two dribbles got hacked by two guys n still finished the play, this is the Jordy we have been looking for.  

This rest will be good, other then Copeland no body is shooting ungodly right now anyways, hopefully gill finds his stide in the next week for the stretch run. 

Evan Taylor is really underrated. Completely unheard of out of high school, he worked his way up the ladder.

It’s a little after three in the morning after shoulder surgery about 17 hours ago and I can’t sleep cuz pain meds aren’t working real well.  When we were down 50-40 I texted my boys that however the game ends there is no quit in this team. I think I’ve texted this four times this year in similar situations and the Huskers have won every time. I love the way this team plays for each other! I love the way Palmer takes over second halves. I love Watson’s D when his scoring is down. I love the way Tshimanga is willing his shots in when it looks like there’s no way. I love Copeland’s game as it improves each week. I love the way Allen and Okeke and Gill seem to do something important and beneficial for the team just when I’m down on them. I love the way Borchard bangs with the bigs without commiting senseless fouls and the way Taylor quietly does really important dirty work for us the way Roby creates such mismatches for our opponents. Finally I love the way McVeigh is 100% behind his teammates and cheers them on with unbridled enthusiasm as this is the hardest job on the team and very important. I guess as a Husker basketball die hard since 1958 I love this team.

1 hour ago, bkamler said:

It’s a little after three in the morning after shoulder surgery about 17 hours ago and I can’t sleep cuz pain meds aren’t working real well.  When we were down 50-40 I texted my boys that however the game ends there is no quit in this team. I think I’ve texted this four times this year in similar situations and the Huskers have won every time. I love the way this team plays for each other! I love the way Palmer takes over second halves. I love Watson’s D when his scoring is down. I love the way Tshimanga is willing his shots in when it looks like there’s no way. I love Copeland’s game as it improves each week. I love the way Allen and Okeke and Gill seem to do something important and beneficial for the team just when I’m down on them. I love the way Borchard bangs with the bigs without commiting senseless fouls and the way Taylor quietly does really important dirty work for us the way Roby creates such mismatches for our opponents. Finally I love the way McVeigh is 100% behind his teammates and cheers them on with unbridled enthusiasm as this is the hardest job on the team and very important. I guess as a Husker basketball die hard since 1958 I love this team.

hope you feel better soon! good luck on recovery. 

I knew it would be a pleasant start to the day to read the threads this morning. Fun to see the game thread turn at page 8. I don't have much to add to what everyone has already said but this will certainly put us in better moods for the next 7 days. Final thought: Kudos to those rabid cheesehead fans for initiating their mass early stalkout at a much later point in the game than our cornhusker stalwarts would have done. And to the gutty badger coaching staff for not letting us simply dribble out a double digit victory. After all, it would have been possible for them to hit four treys in the last 30 seconds if we had missed all of our free throws and they had gotten all of the rebounds. In fact, I think referee Valentine stopped the game at one point just to make certain it was a theoretic possibility.

Two points:

1.  A lot of Roby's fouls come when he's trying to clean up after someone else's defensive error; and I hate it when a ref does the old Leslie Nielsen umpire routine from Naked Gun when calling a foul on the Huskers. 

2.  One of my favorite plays of the night came in the last couple minutes:  one of Wisconsin's bigs got the ball in front of the basket, with no Husker in front of or beside him; he went up for a two-hand dunk, except that Watson, standing behind him, went up first and blocked it from behind!  Nebraska got the rebound.

Free throw shooting has really been the key to us getting into this groove, they shot 86 percent last night, I bet cope, palmer, n Watson are over 80 percent in league play. Heck even Jordy is stepping to the line w confidence n hitting them. Believe he’s 6 for 6 over the last two games n he’s doing it with good form. 

If we are are able to atleast keep breaking even on the boards that’s basically our keys to victory, heck if we get gill or Watson ever going from three point land we will be dam near scary