A Zero Sum Game

Handy Johnson

Some yahoo called into Sip & Jake this morning with a tally on the Hendricks Complex, PBA, & the Haymarket renovation coming in at roughly $350 million. He then lamented the fact that we had "nothing to show for it." If you live in a world where you expect X amount of dollars to equal X amount of success, there's not much I can do for you. The number of teams College and Pro that have bought into that notion is too lengthy to list here. Nebraska made a LONG TERM investment to ensure and enhance the vitality of the program. If you judge that on the number of Tournament wins since these facilities were built you are both short sighted and foolish. Ask yourself this. What if the "Devaney Dungeon" were alive and well? 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Some yahoo called into Sip & Jake this morning with a tally on the Hendricks Complex, PBA, & the Haymarket renovation coming in at roughly $350 million. He then lamented the fact that we had "nothing to show for it." If you live in a world where you expect X amount of dollars to equal X amount of success, there's not much I can do for you. The number of teams College and Pro that have bought into that notion is too lengthy to list here. Nebraska made a LONG TERM investment to ensure and enhance the vitality of the program. If you judge that on the number of Tournament wins since these facilities were built you are both short sighted and foolish. Ask yourself this. What if the "Devaney Dungeon" were alive and well? 

It was "Greg from Myrtle Beach".  He's very blunt to put it lightly.  I usually agree with him when it comes to things Husker football (pre-Frost), but, since Nebraska football is looking bright, he turned his (negative) attention to Nebrasketball.  He claims to be a realist, but his comments this morning were irrational towards HCTM and Nebrasketball.  A caller right after him stood up for Miles and the program, made some nice, more accurate descriptions of the program.

Greg did start the call out something like this.....

Jake or Sip- "Oh man!  It's Greg in Myrtle Beach!  How's it going Greg?"

Greg- "The bikini and convertible tops are down in Florida my men!"

24 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Believe it or not, some people define 'success' beyond results on the court. I'm sure these facilities will end up with a pretty solid financial ROI when all is said and done.

I'd put never having to make another trek from the BOB across the desolate wastelands to be quite priceless.

If you look at the changes Lincoln has made as a whole it is absolutely worth it. The haymarket is now attracting young successful companies which bring great talent into Lincoln. We are attracting some of the best concerts in the nation, and the arena brings tons of economic development.

I know the OP was about a slightly different issue, but the money mostly came from the city (restaurant and hotel tax) and I think that if you look at it from a completely economic and city development side that the arena is a complete success. And we have quite a bit to show for it, just look at the new Hudl headquarters for example, not happening without all of the changes in the haymarket, and the arena was the spark that started the fire.

We have a team that is top half of the league and bordering on top 3rd, along with every indication that we will be in this area next year.  We have one of the best home environments in the conference.  We need to use where we are at right now, this year and next as a stepping stone and not a time to tear down what has been built.  Coach Miles should be extended and given a vote of confidence,  so we can start to replace what we will lose after our Sweet 16 run next year. :)

It has not been a straight ride,  We are going to end up with 2 post season in 6 years (next year will likely be 3 in 7) but we now have talent we have not had in 20 years.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:34 PM, Handy Johnson said:

hendricks is the only thing that was actually funded by UNL, and it's pretty rare that a practice facility leads to championships. lol.

9 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

If you look at the changes Lincoln has made as a whole it is absolutely worth it. The haymarket is now attracting young successful companies which bring great talent into Lincoln. We are attracting some of the best concerts in the nation, and the arena brings tons of economic development.

I know the OP was about a slightly different issue, but the money mostly came from the city (restaurant and hotel tax) and I think that if you look at it from a completely economic and city development side that the arena is a complete success. And we have quite a bit to show for it, just look at the new Hudl headquarters for example, not happening without all of the changes in the haymarket, and the arena was the spark that started the fire.

Great take, wish I could "up" arrow more than once on this one.