Iowa

AuroranHusker

34 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Outside of what Moos hears from the players, coaches, donors, etc. this is what he sees:

I'm just curious where Moos' head is at on this topic.

What he hears will go a long way because at Wash St. he was watching a team that couldn't draw over 4000 people most nights (11k capacity) for a coach who hadn't made the tourney since 2008 (was unemployed for 5).  

• 4 months later...
40 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Cook came back.   Iowa will be good 

Yes.  Very good.  Since the prognosticators tend to pick based on the prior year, my guess is they will have Iowa too low in the preseason predictions.  

On 5/31/2018 at 10:04 AM, NUtball said:

They still need to figure out how to play a little D.

Scoring 90 per game is great...unless you're giving up 95 per game.

If the D improves, look out.

This. There wasn't a good reason for them to be as bad as they were last year, and they're bringing back basically the same team. Dead last in the league in points allowed. They have to figure that side of the ball out. 

On 5/31/2018 at 10:04 AM, NUtball said:

Scoring 90 per game is great...unless you're giving up 95 per game.

That’s because they push the ball up the floor quickly, which means they often shoot quickly.  That translates into more possessions and more points for the other team.  They may still be bad at defense, but there is at least another explanation for high scores.

This is the purpose of tempo free stats

image.png

Fran typically has the offense and the team goes as the defense goes with last year being his worst at Iowa.

Teams got easy looks and Iowa didn't force a ton of turnovers. It was way to easy for people to score.

11 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Well, that was mainly because UM shot about 1 of 12 on threes to start that game. It was brutal from beyond the arc.

Well Houston had one of the best defenses in the country and had a lot to do with that.  Full disclosure, I may still be bitter as I may have owned houston in an auction with over a million dollar pool.  It was a tough one to swallow the way it went down.  

4 hours ago, Donkey said:

Did you see him in 1994?  That team is considered the greatest AAU team of all time with Bryant, Vince Carter, Rip Hamilton, and Tim Thomas all playing together. 

I believe it was 1995. It was in Vegas and he was with a team out of Philly. Did not know who he was but after a massive dunk I saw his name in the program and never forgot it!