BigTen news and notes...

whoopdeedoo

i was told by a friend that the minnesota players wear heart monitors during games. so was doing a little digging. came across these comments from Ralph Petrella who is responsible for Gophers wbb sports performance. not exact quotes, but, this is what i found from an interview. minnesota players wear heart monitors during the games. he has a computer that allows him to check each monitor throughout the game. this helps set goals for expending energy. the monitors also check a number of different items beyond heart rate. 

i imagine what this all comes down to is trying to reduce or limit a player from reaching that fatigue point where they may elevate their risk for injury.

my how things have changed since i participated.:D

5 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

was watching the indiana-rutgers game. coach williams and the huskers got some good pr from brenda vanlengen. don't know the guy that was broadcasting with her, but, they slipped in about 60 seconds of positivity for husker wbb. :)

Well seeing as she was an asst. coach there, and played at UNK I could see that.

8 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Four starters for Indiana played 40,39,38,36 minutes. thats a lot of minutes over the course of a year.

might start seeing the effects of that pretty soon. think we saw some of that the last couple minutes or so of the game. cahill looked rather slow at the end, but, then again rutgers can do that to ya.

sagarin/cbn rpi has me a bit baffled: i just checked the standings for msu and rutgers to see where they dropped to after saturdays games---

msu   14-7   sos=37   vs top 50=2-6   rpi=28

rutgers  17-5  sos=28  vs top 50=4-1   rpi=33

i thought they both might take a little bigger hit, but, not sure how msu is better than rutgers? not that they are that far apart.....does that 1 extra game rutgers has played make up for the difference? not that i really need to know ;) just found that a little puzzling.

5 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

sagarin/cbn rpi has me a bit baffled: i just checked the standings for msu and rutgers to see where they dropped to after saturdays games---

msu   14-7   sos=37   vs top 50=2-6   rpi=28

rutgers  17-5  sos=28  vs top 50=4-1   rpi=33

i thought they both might take a little bigger hit, but, not sure how msu is better than rutgers? not that they are that far apart.....does that 1 extra game rutgers has played make up for the difference? not that i really need to know ;) just found that a little puzzling.

To add to that, Warrn Nolan's RPI had the Huskers at 59 last week. Today he has them at 63, I guess some teams below them were moved up and the Huskers down.

glancing at the overall individual stats on the big ten page...."scoring" category: huskers have one in the "top 30 list" and that is hannah whitish. she is tied for 20th averaging 13.6ppg. wouldn't you think for a team that is in the top 3 of the big ten have a scorer in the top 10? or, at least maybe 2 or 3 more scorers in that list, anyway? 

just shows the productivity they are getting from the whole team. pretty impressive imo.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

The degree of the turn around is amazing to me.  We are very consistent from game to game looking for things to improve on and then doing it like free throws in the Iowa game.  Who knows where this team will end up.  Just to have the possibility to win the league at this stage after last year is hard to believe but wonderful and provides gratification for all the girls who put in the hard work needed to get there.

• Eleven of the 14 Big Ten programs rank among the top 50 in the nation in attendance, including six in the top 25, according to Tuesday’s NCAA statistics report. Michigan State leads the way at No. 8 nationally (6,042 fans per game), joined by No. 10 Purdue (5,937), No. 11 Ohio State (5,557), No. 13 Maryland (5,323), No. 16 Iowa (5,031) and No. 22 Nebraska (3,892). The other Big Ten schools currently among the top 50 in the nation in attendance are Wisconsin (26th - 3,522), Michigan (34th - 3,102), Indiana (37th - 3,052), Penn State (38th - 2,987) and Minnesota (40th - 2,968).