James Palmer/Cookie Belcher

hhcdave

Is the man, the myth, the legend. We all know that.

But does anyone else see Cookie Belcher every time he gets the ball?

Their games are different - I'm not comparing games.

But how they look? Exact same build. Exact same skin tone. Similar  handles.

Am I the only one who sees Cookie Belcher every single night when I see James Palmer?

By the way, Cookie is my favorite Husker basketball player of all time.

1 minute ago, hhcdave said:

Am I the only one who sees Cookie Belcher every single night when I see James Palmer?

Both are ballers. Love it.

7 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Yes, I posted something similar awhile back how every time I see Palmer he reminds me of Belcher.

I love James... and he might be better offensively-- but he hasn't shown the ability to guard like Cookie. Cookie was an in your face- rat terrier defender like a benny parker/evan taylor type. Didnt he lead the conference in steals?

Palmer uses his length well but his feet aren't as good. He got worked pretty good vs Ohio State on the defensive end (Maybe cause he was the only player for us on the other side of the court!) 

3 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Cookie was an in your face- rat terrier defender like a benny parker/evan taylor type. Didnt he lead the conference in steals?

Multiple times. In fact, he's still far and away the Big 12 career leader in steals:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-12/leaders/stl-player-career.html

Cookie #1 with 353. Jevon Carter #2 with 286.

Cookie and James have the same "look.."  They carry themselves the same way.  You are right, their games are different, but what is similar, is their reach.  They both seem(ed) to get to balls that would be out of reach for others.  They both seem to be maxed out, and then have that extra two to three inches of reach that either creates a shot or a steal.  The other comparison was that Cookie is Ty Lue's cousin, and James is not.

I was driving on Tuesday night and had the KU broadcast of the KU/OU game on the radio and the announcers were talking about all the hard to pronounce names in college basketball, like Udoka Azibuike and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk among others and the Jayhawk PBP guy said, "I miss the old days of Cookie Belcher" or something to that effect, LOL!

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think Cookie finished 3rd all time in steals in D1 history.  That’s my recollection anyway.

I believe yer right Norm, and let that sink in for a minute. Think of all the great defenders to ever play D1, and he sits THIRD, that's impressive. I do think Jim P could beat him in a game of H-O-R-S-E tho...

9 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Cookie was also a tough SOB.  If I recall, he played either his junior or senior year with an issue with his wrist.  I don't think he missed a game.  But then again, perhaps my memory is a bit jaded.

What happened was Danny gamed it.  They knew Cookie needed surgery.  So they played him the maximum amount of games  he could play in and still take a medical hardship. So yes, he was tough as hell, but he only played 7-8 games before they shut him down to save a year.  

Edited by HB