Looking Ahead to Iowa

Cowboy Kermit

Iowa is the best offensive rebounding team in the conference but they're turning it over a bunch as well so we're going to get a lot of easy buckets in this one.

Interesting. I wouldn't have pegged them as a great O rebounding team. God knows we have struggled against good O rebounding teams.

Hopefully like you implied we can just steal it before they shoot so we won't have to worry about rebounding it.

Rutgers is/was an excellent offensive rebounding team, but we held our own.  Obviously positioning is important, but against Rutgers it appeared our guards were very active on misses, and our effort seemed a bit more urgent.  So if we keep that same mojo going against Iowa, we should be okay. 

Iowa also won a recruiting battle against us and that kid, I believe is starting.  Unless I am totally off base, we went after Luke Garza.

41 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Iowa also won a recruiting battle against us and that kid, I believe is starting.  Unless I am totally off base, we went after Luke Garza.

We might of offered him but I don’t think we made his final cut, woulda been a good piece to have, he’s got post moves n crashes the boards hard. 

14 hours ago, Wolv77 said:

Haha yeah I swear this was my one iowa hate comment and it's out of my system now. The other 364 days my iowa hate is focused on the sports teams. No harm no foul dude, I know good Iowans too. I'll give ya credit, half of you have creightonians beat by being nicer and less shitty most of the year. Haha 

I can only assume you are an awesome guy if simply for the fact that you supposedly broke off from the life track that leads one to slide down into the pit that is lowa fandom. ;)

All jokes here guys 

I can vouch that he is not only from Nebraska, we went to school together for years in Lincoln, but that he is also an awesome guy!

14 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Interesting. I wouldn't have pegged them as a great O rebounding team. God knows we have struggled against good O rebounding teams.

Hopefully like you implied we can just steal it before they shoot so we won't have to worry about rebounding it.

We have struggled against average O rebounding teams! :)

7 hours ago, 49r said:

F IOWA!

Careful here as apparently if you say anything inflammatory about Iowa, even when you explicitly state that you're kidding, you can be censored.  To be fair though, when I classified the entire state as 'mentally challenged', I really should have narrowed the scope to athletics given the fact that Ferentz continues to get an additional year on his contract every year he meets the high hurdle of achieving 7 victories.  I know off topic from basketball but that thinking gives you a glimpse into the acceptance of mediocrity at an institution and why Iowa, outside of wrestling I guess, will likely never sustain a consistently high level of success in any of their sports.

Edited by hhcdimes
Come on

10 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

This isn't an Iowa message board. Please have some class.

Haha, I do like your response.  But seriously, I'm not sure what the harm is in good nature joking when its not mean spirited and not directed towards specific individuals.  I used the word "retarded" in describing a rival (used loosely here since this is sort of forced on us) and while stipulating that I was making up fun facts about the State.  Others were partaking in the fun.  is this really worthy of deleting a post and then editing a 2nd to change such word to "mentally handicapped"?   Look, I think this is an awesome site and I'm glad I came across it.  There are a lot of unique and varying viewpoints and the shared passion here for the basketball team is awesome.  I'm not going to get into a further lengthy debate here on this and will not post further about it as i know this isn't the proper forum and there is no sense in sucking the fun out of the room.  I do think it is a slippery slope when trying to act as one moral authority.  I'm just really surprised by this but will learn the lay of the land.  However, I do now know that "F Iowa" is a classier way to poke fun at them.  On a final note, thank you to everyone that does administer the site, which I'm sure isn't easy and is likely not a paid endeavor but the content here is awesome and well organized.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Haha, I do like your response.  But seriously, I'm not sure what the harm is in good nature joking when its not mean spirited and not directed towards specific individuals.  I used the word "retarded" in describing a rival (used loosely here since this is sort of forced on us) and while stipulating that I was making up fun facts about the State.  Others were partaking in the fun.  is this really worthy of deleting a post and then editing a 2nd to change such word to "mentally handicapped"?   Look, I think this is an awesome site and I'm glad I came across it.  There are a lot of unique and varying viewpoints and the shared passion here for the basketball team is awesome.  I'm not going to get into a further lengthy debate here on this and will not post further about it as i know this isn't the proper forum and there is no sense in sucking the fun out of the room.  I do think it is a slippery slope when trying to act as one moral authority.  I'm just really surprised by this but will learn the lay of the land.  However, I do now know that "F Iowa" is a classier way to poke fun at them.  On a final note, thank you to everyone that does administer the site, which I'm sure isn't easy and is likely not a paid endeavor but the content here is awesome and well organized.

This will just be me personally, but coming from someone who is in a family with someone who is "mentally handicapped," I hate the use of the "R" word.  I realize it gets thrown around more like slang than anything, but it makes me so upset hearing it in public.  Having to explain to someone that "they are not talking about you, they are just mad and using that as a word when they are mad is hard.  Now I am not one to usually confront someone in public about it, but I did just want to say that the word does have an effect on people that does hurt.  It isn't an easy situation to be in, and that word just reminds me every time it is said or read of the situation that my family and many others go through on a daily basis.

I didn't write this to get upset with you.  In fact I am not upset at all.  I think that the more people that know the better that the "R" word isn't something that everyone will use loosely in public and reasons why.  I hope you understand, and I can think of many other words to use to describe the Hawks... some with even less letters. :P

GBR!

27 minutes ago, Tallbaby21 said:

I don’t get the Iowa hate. It’s not like they are CU or KSU. They’re mediocre or bad at football and basketball. 

Well, CU in the 80's was a lot like Iowa is today.  CU had no tradition and was routinely getting crushed by Nebraska and the rest of the Big 8.  Bill McCartney came in, brought some swagger and called Nebraska the "red-letter" game and circled it on the calendar.  He rallied a fan base to hate Nebraska because they couldn't cheer for any success on the field so you might as well hate your nearest neighbor who was doing it as good as anyone in the country.  The "rivalry" only picked up steam when CU became much more competitive in the 90's and their fans became even more obnoxious.  I equate Iowa now to to what CU was in the 80's.  I consider Iowa more of an annoyance than a rival, much like CU was back in the day.  In order for a real rivalry to develop, we actually need both teams to be good at some sort of revenue producing sport at the same time and have games that are meaningful to both sides!!!  Then we can start poisoning each other's sacred corn fields, much like Auburn and Alabama poison trees, and it will be great.

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-fire-basketball-coach-fran-mcaffery I guess Iowa signed Fran to a super lowkey extension at the start of this season that made his buyout $10 million... Looks like we’ll get to see some temper frantrums for a couple more years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, WestOHusker said:

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-fire-basketball-coach-fran-mcaffery I guess Iowa signed Fran to a super lowkey extension at the start of this season that made his buyout $10 million... Looks like we’ll get to see some temper frantrums for a couple more years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way most of you talk about Iowa, it is pretty obvious they are our rival.