uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 23 - @ Rutgers

uneblinstu

A win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a win. I don’t care how attractive it was, just need to win and they did. In a lot of ways, this game felt a lot like some of those grinders we’d try and put teams through when they’d come in the Devaney Center. We’d try and muck it up and make it as ugly as possible. That’s what Rutgers did today. Good win. Got another one to get on Saturday vs. Iowa.

First Half:

• Watson hitting early. That’s a great sign.

• He also found a couple wide open teammates early on. Roby missed a 3 and Jordy couldn’t handle the heat.

• That drive by Palmer to get NU to 8 was a work of art. He’s becoming impossible guard.

• Watson missed a couple at the end of the half.

• Things got a little muddy in the middle of the half. I probably should have expected that.

• Nice little flurry to end the half.

• I like how Copeland finished the half. Would be nice to get one other guy going beyond JPJ and Cope.

• I don’t have the numbers right in front of me, but it feels like they rebounded mostly well.

Second Half:

• The booth at Rutgers is weird.

• I make the rebound comment then they get a 3 off an offensive rebound to open the half.

• I like Roby lobs.

• I like Copeland slams, too.

• We’ve got a block party to open the half.

• I liked the energy coming out of the break, but wish we didn’t have to wait until halftime to find it. Seems more of an issue on the road. NW, PSU, OSU, tonight all come to mind. There are a few examples of it happening at PBA, too.

• We’ll see how big that point on Geo Baker’s circus shot at the end of the shot clock turns out to be.

• Those back-to-back 3’s by Palmer and Cope to stretch the lead to 7 were kinda fun.

• Really pushed the tempo in the second half, Rutgers struggling to keep up with it.

• Roby is a really good passer. Thought his third was a pretty clean block.

• That lineup with Jordy, Allen and Evan on the floor was a little terrifying…

• We had some pretty awful entry passes this half.

• I think the ref got caught up in the moment on the offensive foul call on Palmer.

• Big boy rebound by Roby after picking up his 4th.

• Palmer didn’t play very well the back half of the 2nd half.

• 11 2nd half turnovers. Uck. The five that NU was able to force Rutgers into, however, were all pretty timely, it seemed.

• That was a monster offensive rebound by Copeland. It reminded me of that one time Kyle Marks picked up a big offensive rebound in a win at Missouri. I forget what year that was. I hated that shot by Palmer there, though.

• That hesitation by Watson to get to the rim to push the lead to 4 was pretty.

• How did they not get that rebound after Sà missed that free throw? We had 3 guys there?

• And then a huge offensive foul drawn by Watson. He’s been really solid today.

• Got destroyed on the boards in the 2nd half.

• Good win. I’ll take it.

Win and move on baby.

We could have won this much more handily but for the turnovers.  Rutgers played a pesky brand of ball, but man, some of our turnovers were simply careless.

We got nice games from James, Isaac, Glynn and Isaiah.  Anton did some good things, but didn't sniff the basket.  Evan, Thomas and Jordy had some good, bad and ugly. 

#11 got away with a lot of crap.  And if the refs quit guessing when it comes to Isaiah, it would be greatly appreciated.

So all in all, we won a game we had to win.  Now, we have to ramp it up and torch Iowa. 

Good win against a decent opponent on their home court.  Great clutch plays by Watson when we needed him.  Glad to see that. 

Copeland was nuts.  Palmer is all conference.  Roby was friggin everywhere.  

We need Anton to get his X factor buckets back.  He's a difference maker.  

Jordy played hard on the offensive glass but got owned in the post.  ET made some great defensive plays and horrible offensive plays.

Overall very good team defense on what looked like pretty strong physical and mental fatigue.  This team is ready for the home stretch.  Good win tonight.  

Night and day change in Roby second half.  Wonder if he got challenged at halftime; would have been fun to have been a fly on the wall.   Sequence where Copeland got the offensive board and Glynn drove hoop as the clock ran down was enormous.  Friggin' enormous.  

Evan still struggling mightily.  Gill's shooting back to historical numbers.  Hope he isn't wearing  down since he didn't have an offseason.  

Up to #61 on KenPom after this one.  Ken has upped our predicted win total now one more game.  Wooo!

61 Nebraska (15-8)
Wed Jan 24 65 127 Rutgers W, 60-54 65   Away 15-8 6-4 b.gif
Sat Jan 27   94 Iowa W, 78-71 69 72% Home   ×  
Mon Jan 29   89 Wisconsin L, 64-63 61 45% Away   × b.gif
Tue Feb 6   87 Minnesota L, 72-71 69 45% Away   × b.gif
Sat Feb 10   127 Rutgers W, 66-58 65 78% Home   ×  
Tue Feb 13   40 Maryland W, 69-68 66 53% Home   × b.gif
Sun Feb 18   106 Illinois W, 71-70 69 52% Away   × b.gif
Tue Feb 20   96 Indiana W, 71-64 66 72% Home   ×  
Sun Feb 25   65 Penn St. W, 70-66 68 63% Home   ×  
Projected record: 20-11 11-7

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

Up to #61 on KenPom after this one.  Ken has upped our predicted win total now one more game.  Wooo!

61 Nebraska (15-8)

That's actually exactly how I had it drawn up in terms of the specific games, which I had us going 12-6 in conference and reaching 21 wins in the regular season.

If we can win all those and steal a win against Wisconsin or Minnesota, it would get us to 13-5 and really good shot at the dance.

31 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Win and move on baby.

We could have won this much more handily but for the turnovers.  Rutgers played a pesky brand of ball, but man, some of our turnovers were simply careless.

We got nice games from James, Isaac, Glynn and Isaiah.  Anton did some good things, but didn't sniff the basket.  Evan, Thomas and Jordy had some good, bad and ugly. 

#11 got away with a lot of crap.  And if the refs quit guessing when it comes to Isaiah, it would be greatly appreciated.

So all in all, we won a game we had to win.  Now, we have to ramp it up and torch Iowa. 

You got that right.  His 5th foul was absolute BS.  The guy was fumbling the ball and there was nothing more than incidental contact.

48 minutes ago, 49r said:

61 Nebraska (15-8)

What happened to Minnesota's RPI?  

The Maryland game is looking more and more important as it draws closer.

Think about this:

• Rutgers misses a dunk in the first half - ends up getting a 3-pt play on the possession
  • Rutgers misses a dunk in the second half - ends up throwing in a long 2 at the shot clock buzzer on the possession
  • We get a huge break when officials overturn a call at the last media time out to allow us to maintain possession - then we proceed to throw the ball away on the in-bounds pass and give up a layup

That's 7 utterly fluky pts by Rutgers where it looked like we had received 3 big breaks. In past years we lose that game 100 times out of 100 with fluky breaks like that going against us, especially 7 pts worth.

Our defensive play right now is unreal, especially the complete reversal we've had in our 3-pt defense vs last season. And it's only gotten better in league play. Nothing is coming easy against us.

Keep playing that kind of D down the stretch, and we will be very happy with how this season ends.