Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Beat me too it!  I was going to say “How can you say a team shooting 80%FT and have 100% of baskets made being assisted on having a bad day?”

Technically, I should've said: 

And they have assist on 100% of their FG.

Bad singular/plural grammar on my part - apologies.

54 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

My question for you, is are they being fairly compensated for what they are worth? If you get paid $15 an hour, but are worth $20, should you argue for more or be thankful that you aren't getting paid $12? 

I don't think it's unreasonable to say yes, athletes get a pretty good deal, but they also could be getting more - especially considering they're the ones bringing in the money.

Yes, they are getting compensated what they are worth.  If they weren't, then more would go overseas to play professionally rather than go to college.  

29 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Well, in this example, the NCAA. Obviously schools are wiling to pay more, but someone is coming in saying you aren't allowed to pay them more. 

Do you have problems with salary caps in professional sports, too?  

6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Yes, they are getting compensated what they are worth.  If they weren't, then more would go overseas to play professionally rather than go to college.  

Do you have problems with salary caps in professional sports, too?  

I'm all about the open market. If the Warriors want to shell out a 10 billion a year to pay Lebron, KD, Steph, Harden, and Giannis, then go for it. The one redeeming part of it is professional athletes can rely on endorsements and sponsorship money to supplement their income. College athletes don't have that option.

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Michigan 24/Maryland 59 - 11am ESPN Michigan - 1 1/2  Need Michigan
Marquette 57/DePaul 175 - 11am on some fsn regions so those with satty might get it somehow  Marquette - 2 1/2 Need DePaul

Providence 48/Georgetown 133 - 11am  CBS SportsNetwork  Georgetown - 1 1/2  Need Georgetown
Seton Hall 22/St. John's 76 - 11am FOX St. Johns - 2 1/2   Need St. Johns
Baylor 58/TCU 20 - 11am ESPN2  TCU -5 Need TCU
Louisville 47/Virginia Tech  49 - 12pm CBS  Va TEch -3  Need Virginia Tech
Boston College 98/Miami  29-  1pm ESPN Full Court/ESPN3  Miami - 7 1/2  Need Boston College

LSU 75/Georgia  70- 1pm ESPNU Georgia - 4 1/2  Need Georgia
Oklahoma State  93/Texas 53 - 1pm Texas -5  Longhorn Network only I believe Need Oklahoma St
Illinois State 86/Loyola-Chicago 32 - 1pm ESPN2  Loyola - 12 Need illinois St
Villanova 3/Creighton  41 - 1:30  FOX Villanova - 6 1/2  I am going with Villanova here.  There is a real shot of Creighton falling out, opening up a bid.  I think it is worth the risk potentially but neither result bad here.  
USC 35/Utah  42- 1:30  Pac 12 Network  utah -3  Not sure but lean USC as home loss would shake up the apple cart more perhaps
Notre Dame 68/Wake Forest  130 - 2pm ESP Full Court/ESPN3  Pick em  Need Wake Forest
South Carolina  72/Mississippi State 63 - 2:30 SEC Network Mississippi St. -7 Need South Carolina
Ohio 218/Buffalo 37 - 2:30 ESPN3   Buffalo - 13  Need Ohio
Texas A&M 27/Vanderbilt  112 - 3pm ESPN2  Texas AM - 1 1/2  Need Vanderbilt
Northern Colorado 123/North Dakota  227 -3pm  pluto tv online  N. Colorado - 5 1/2  Need N. Dakota

Reeeeeeal tough slump on the day. Hopefully this will turn around by the end of the night.

44 minutes ago, tcp said:

I'm a philistine. I root for CU when they're not playing Nebraska, so it's a "yay" for me. I have yet to get this whole "rivalry" after 4 decades.

You haven't met a Nebraska alumnus, dressed in red at a football game, tell you that he roots for the only basketball program in the state that matters, and that it's not Nebraska.

9 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

I'm all about the open market. If the Warriors want to shell out a 10 billion a year to pay Lebron, KD, Steph, Harden, and Giannis, then go for it. The one redeeming part of it is professional athletes can rely on endorsements and sponsorship money to supplement their income. College athletes don't have that option.

Leagues like the NBA that have salary caps and max contracts are still operating within an open market. The league is in the business of entertainment. In order to maximize the entertainment value, they have the right to make rules that level the playing field. Allowing the NBA to implement these rules for the business that they created follows the principles of an open market. Forcing them to abolish the rules would not.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

College athletes are all receiving something of a large monetary value.  Those that aren't going pro are getting a free education.  Those that are going pro are getting a giant stage on which to display their skills.  Imagine if you would have had an opportunity to audition for your job 30+ times per year, knowing that all the titans of your industry were watching your auditions.  That is exactly what the kids that turn pro are getting, which is invaluable.  No one is holding a gun to their head and telling them to go to college.  They're welcome to play overseas for a year, but draft records indicate there's more value in playing for "free" for a year of college rather than receive a year's "compensation" prior to enrolling in the NBA draft.

Monetary value is not the same as free market compensation.

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

You haven't met a Nebraska alumnus, dressed in red at a football game, tell you that he roots for the only basketball program in the state that matters, and that it's not Nebraska.

hahaha. that's the thing: I couldn't care less if someone's a Jaysker. I don't form my own allegiances based on what other people do. It's like when I root for Nebraska, I'm not rooting for their fans. I root for my state. And I think the more good basketball in this state, the better. Understand that for what seemed like forever, CU was just not on the same level as NU. We won every year. Until the end of the Nee era. But by that time, I'd been a fan for a couple plus decades. 

3 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

The problem is that you're thinking of the Warriors competing against the other NBA teams and mentally equating that to "the open market."  It's not.  The Warriors are part of the joint venture that is the NBA and, as such, they have a mutual fiduciary responsibility to the other stakeholders.  The teams may compete on the court, but that competition is not a market competition.  It's not the same as Ford and GM competing to sell you a car, or two corner gas stations competing to fill your new car with gas, etc.  The actual open market competition is the NBA competing for your entertainment dollars against the NFL, Virgin Records, and MGM Studios.  If the "open market" was really each NBA team competing against each other, then it wouldn't be possible for the other franchise's owners to vote an owner out...but it is possible, because it's a joint venture, not a "market." 

So, back to the NCAA (which is also an awful lot like a joint venture) and whether they should allow schools to pay players.  The answer is "no," unless the NCAA starts losing its market share.  If American high schoolers start playing ball in Europe rather than in the NCAA, and if that causes fans to start watching Euro leagues instead of March Madness, then that's when they should consider paying players more than their scholarships.  But paying players will result in less parity, so that too has to be taken into account with whether having a bunch of blowouts on TV will hurt viewership (hint: it will).  The NCAA needs to do what best allows it to compete against the NBA (and the NFL, and Virgin Records, and MGM Studios...), while balancing its fiduciary responsibilities to member institutions.