Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

2 hours ago, royalfan said:

This is what I was afraid of.  These guys get better throughout they year.  Incredible coach.  If committee deems us having to beat them to dance we will have to overcome being a 4 1/2 point dog or so.  

Once again, it sets up nicely with the matchup to play someone they've been comparing us against all year, touted by bracketologists. It can only help us that much more, and silence doubters. If we're for real. Love it! ?

34 minutes ago, jdw said:

Imagine if you were the best at something and someone arbitrarily decided what your compensation could be.

College athletes are all receiving something of a large monetary value.  Those that aren't going pro are getting a free education.  Those that are going pro are getting a giant stage on which to display their skills.  Imagine if you would have had an opportunity to audition for your job 30+ times per year, knowing that all the titans of your industry were watching your auditions.  That is exactly what the kids that turn pro are getting, which is invaluable.  No one is holding a gun to their head and telling them to go to college.  They're welcome to play overseas for a year, but draft records indicate there's more value in playing for "free" for a year of college rather than receive a year's "compensation" prior to enrolling in the NBA draft.

Here is a quantifiable way to measure "how the day is going for us" so far. Looking at the four completed games from the condensed list of games to follow, we are 2-2. But there are different expectations built in to each of those games... not every game is a pick em. For example, in the Loyola-Chicago game going on right now, we can root for Illinois St but Loyola had an 89% chance of winning pre-game. So a likely Loyola win is already built into all of the end of season projections, and a win shouldn't be looked at as a killer result.

So so far, using pre-game win chances, we would have expected 2.28 wins out of those first four games that I'm referencing. Actual wins are 2, so the day is going slightly worse than expected for us. There are another slate of games that will be finishing around 3, so we'll see how that looks then.

25 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

College athletes are all receiving something of a large monetary value.  Those that aren't going pro are getting a free education.  Those that are going pro are getting a giant stage on which to display their skills.  Imagine if you would have had an opportunity to audition for your job 30+ times per year, knowing that all the titans of your industry were watching your auditions.  That is exactly what the kids that turn pro are getting, which is invaluable.  No one is holding a gun to their head and telling them to go to college.  They're welcome to play overseas for a year, but draft records indicate there's more value in playing for "free" for a year of college rather than receive a year's "compensation" prior to enrolling in the NBA draft.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If they weren't getting value out of playing college basketball, they wouldn't do it! To add to your list, they're also receiving free coaching, training, and mentoring. Those all have value. By feeling sorry for these kids who are actually in a pretty darn good situation, we end up teaching them to long for what they don't have instead of appreciate what they do have.

5 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I couldn't have said it better myself. If they weren't getting value out of playing college basketball, they wouldn't do it! To add to your list, they're also receiving free coaching, training, and mentoring. Those all have value. By feeling sorry for these kids who are actually in a pretty darn good situation, we end up teaching them to long for what they don't have instead of appreciate what they do have.

My question for you, is are they being fairly compensated for what they are worth? If you get paid $15 an hour, but are worth $20, should you argue for more or be thankful that you aren't getting paid $12? 

I don't think it's unreasonable to say yes, athletes get a pretty good deal, but they also could be getting more - especially considering they're the ones bringing in the money.

3 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

My question for you, is are they being fairly compensated for what they are worth? If you get paid $15 an hour, but are worth $20, should you argue for more or be thankful that you aren't getting paid $12? 

I don't think it's unreasonable to say yes, athletes get a pretty good deal, but they also could be getting more - especially considering they're the ones bringing in the money.

Who says the employee's work is worth $20 an hour? If the boss is only willing to pay $15, and the employee isn't willing to leave, then by definition the work is worth $15.

7 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Who says the employee's work is worth $20 an hour? If the boss is only willing to pay $15, and the employee isn't willing to leave, then by definition the work is worth $15.

Well, in this example, the NCAA. Obviously schools are wiling to pay more, but someone is coming in saying you aren't allowed to pay them more.