Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

On 2/18/2018 at 10:16 AM, royalfan said:

Ohio State 19 /Michigan  38 - 12pm CBS  Michigan - 3 1/2   I think I prefer Ohio St. but it is highly debatable.  This game will largely determine what we want Michigan to do the rest of the way.  If NW had held on yesterday, I might be rooting the otherway.  At the end of the day, neither result seems good or bad here. 
DePaul 181/Seton Hall 24 - 12pm FS1  Seton Hall - 10 1/2  We want DePaul
Hartford  220/Vermont 42 -  1pm ESPN3  No line need Hartford
Houston/Temple -3pm CBS Sports network  Houston -2  I think Temple, as I don't think they are likely to make it even with a win here.  

Loyola-Chicago 49/Evansville  124- 3pm ESPN 3 Loyola -5 1/2  We want Evansville to erase any doubt about 2 bid league 
Pittsburgh/Florida State - 5pm ESPNU FSU -22  Waste of time here, pitt sucks but need them
Penn State/Purdue - 7pm BTN  Purdue - 8 1/2  Not really sure what to make of this.  I think given that we are going to probably need to win that Penn St. game to go dancing, I think Penn St. better for us.  Also, it could make a loss in that game, followed by a win in tourney a path for us, as we loss against a piping hot Penn St. team might not be looked at as unfavorably.  Damn, if only we had won at Penn St.  Carr just had to toss in that deep strange looking three up against shot clock in OT after we had taken I believe a 4 point lead to get them right back in it.  Dagger of the year right there, aside from Kansas game.

Updating throughout the day.

Edited by HuskerFever

17 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Lunardi's bubble watch through Feb. 15 games:

Last Four Byes
Providence: at Butler, Wednesday vs Seton Hall
Virginia Tech: at Georgia Tech, Wednesday vs Clemson
Kansas State: vs Iowa State, Wednesday vs Texas
NC State: at Wake Forest, Tuesday vs Boston College

Last Four In
Texas: at Oklahoma, Wednesday at Kansas State
UCLA: vs Oregon, Thursday at Utah
USC: vs Oregon State, Wednesday at Colorado
St. Bonaventure: vs Rhode Island, Wednesday vs Duquesne

First Four Out
Nebraska: at Illinois, Tuesday vs Indiana
Washington: vs Colorado, Thursday at Stanford
Syracuse: at Miami, Wednesday vs North Carolina
Baylor: vs Texas Tech, Tuesday vs West Virginia

Next Four Out
Boise State: vs Air Force, Wednesday at Colorado State
Penn State: Sunday at Purdue, Wednesday vs Michigan
Temple: vs Houston, Sunday vs UCF
Utah: at Washington State, Thursday vs UCLA

Just a really sucky weekend...

I just had that strange realization that we just finished up a 6-game winning streak and Oklahoma is experiencing a 5-game losing streak and Kentucky just ended a 4-game losing streak. Yet we're in a more depressed state than either of those teams right now. Gotta keep our heads up, guys!

10 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but curious on other people's thoughts.

A Penn State win over Purdue would not only take a spot from us in the tournament, but they become a Tier 1 loss.

Do we want Penn State to win this game?

More than ever we need them to win now IMO.  We are not making it if we don't beat them, so we need it to be a high profile win plus helps metrics more since play twice.  

On 2/18/2018 at 1:10 AM, HuskerFever said:

Monday's Games of Interest:

Miami/Notre Dame - not sure how I feel about this one, lets go with Notre Dame
Maryland/Northwestern - looking for Maryland to move up a Tier
Coppin State/Delaware State - the broken record is playing 'JUST WIN AT LEAST ONE MORE GAME!'
Oklahoma/Kansas - not only will OU go 0-5, but KU will help the RPI

Tuesday's Games of Interest:

Illinois/Michigan State - played Illinois twice and also keeping MSU out of #1
Rutgers/Ohio State - looking to get OSU in the #1 spot

West Virginia/Baylor - need to knock off Baylor
Mississippi State/Texas A&M - going with A&M here
Boston College/NC State - win/win game
Creighton/Butler - another win/win game
The Citadel/East Tennessee State - need to quiet ETSU
Buffalo/Miami (OH) - need to quiet Buffalo as well
Indiana/Nebraska - no brainer
Ole Miss/Missouri - need Ole Miss here
Kentucky/Arkansas - thinking I'll go with Kentucky here
Vanderbilt/LSU - going with Vandy
New Mexico/Wyoming - need to quiet Wyoming

Bump.

Ok, gurus, one thing I had forgotten...we can't really cheer for Michigan to win out (to keep them in Quadrant 1) AND Penn State to win out (to make our win over them look better)...they play each other in Happy Valley on Wednesday. Would we rather see Michigan win, keep our Q1 win there, but have a pissed off, desperate Penn State come to Lincoln? Or see Penn State win and run the risk of them taking the 5 seed (if we lose to them AND Michigan loses at Maryland), but if we win Tuesday Penn State beating Michigan clinches the 4 for us?

5 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Ok, gurus, one thing I had forgotten...we can't really cheer for Michigan to win out (to keep them in Quadrant 1) AND Penn State to win out (to make our win over them look better)...they play each other in Happy Valley on Wednesday. Would we rather see Michigan win, keep our Q1 win there, but have a pissed off, desperate Penn State come to Lincoln? Or see Penn State win and run the risk of them taking the 5 seed (if we lose to them AND Michigan loses at Maryland), but if we win Tuesday Penn State beating Michigan clinches the 4 for us?

This might be one of those "let the chips all where they may" sort of games and then just win the ones we can control. I might get a headache if I try to figure out the best scenario here.

23 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I think I'd rather have Michigan. I'm not too concerned about the "pissed off" Penn State. I think they'd be more of a threat if they beat Michigan due to confidence... I'm thinking they could even feel a little deflated if they lose that one. And if Michigan wins their final two, our win against them will look that much better. Plus if we were to lose to them in the 4/5 game it wouldn't be as damaging, either (which could help get us in with only 22 wins). There is the risk that we lose the 4 seed, but I'm kind of operating under the assumption that we have to win our final two games anyways.

I think we want Michigan.  Need them to remain a quad 1 win (vs Penn St @ home won't get there). We're going to need to win our last 2 anyway, in which case we'd still get the double bye. In Lunardi's latest update we didn't fall as far as I thought we might (Still in 1st 4 out). I was of the opinion it was going to be hard for us to run the table and if we were going to lose a game I'd rather it be one of the road games. IL wasn't the best one to lose, but I don't think it kills us. Even though it hasn't seemed like it lately there are still a lot of losses out there for the bubble teams we're battling with.  For instance, a lot of H2H match ups coming up that someone will have to lose. We win these next 2 and we give ourselves a shot. I think 23 wins will secure a bid.  Having the conf tourney a week early isn't going to help us so I really think we'll need to win 2 + at least 1 in the conf tourney otherwise we may be on the outside looking in when things get crazy during championship week and we aren't playing because the tourney went a week early.

4 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I think I'd rather have Michigan. I'm not too concerned about the "pissed off" Penn State. I think they'd be more of a threat if they beat Michigan due to confidence... I'm thinking they could even feel a little deflated if they lose that one. And if Michigan wins their final two, our win against them will look that much better. Plus if we were to lose to them in the 4/5 game it wouldn't be as damaging, either (which could help get us in with only 22 wins). There is the risk that we lose the 4 seed, but I'm kind of operating under the assumption that we have to win our final two games anyways.

I'm in this camp based on the PSU-Purdue result.  PSU would be pretty deflated coming off of two losses to ranked opponents and tourney hopes all but doused.

Having said that, I think PSU beats Michigan for their 20th win and sets the table for a Sunday with two hair-on-fire teams playing for a potential bid.  Pretty epic scenario.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

I'm in this camp based on the PSU-Purdue result.  PSU would be pretty deflated coming off of two losses to ranked opponents and tourney hopes all but doused.

Having said that, I think PSU beats Michigan for their 20th win and sets the table for a Sunday with two hair-on-fire teams playing for a potential bid.  Pretty epic scenario.  

If that scenario occurs, Nebraska winning tomorrow will have wrapped up the 4th seed at 12-5 with one to go, while UM would be 11-6 & PSU 10-7.

It would give PSU another Quadrant 1 win, and a lot of incentive to beat NU to gain a final Quad 1 win & potentially be 'in' the field of 68 with a lot of momentum going to NYC.

So, I'm likely in the mindset that NU will want UM to win Wednesday over PSU for a few reasons. 1-I doubt Nebraska is getting in the field of 68 as an "at-large" without 22 regular seasons (and 13 wins in the B1G). 2-I also think Nebraska will want that UM win to count as a Quadrant 1 win, which means 3-UM is the 5th seed & sets up the potential for another Quad 1 win by beating UM again in the B1G tourney.

Edited by AuroranHusker

I am in the camp of having PSU lose to UM.

1. I think that we are a bad match up for Michigan.  I would very much like to see them as our first game in NY.
  2. Keeping Michigan as a Q1 win and beating them twice would almost assure us a spot in the field.  How could you put Michigan in ahead of us in that scenario?
  3. PSU losing to Michigan almost assures they have to do major damage to reach the field of 68.  (Beat us and then win 3 in NY).  I would much rather play them knowing that than having a situation where PSU is in with a win against us and 1 in NY.
  4. 23 is still the magic number.  I would rather play Michigan than Penn State back to back to get to that number.

In my opinion, folks are underestimating how well coached Michigan is.  They will be coming off a game in the Garden already, so used to shooting there.  They will be a 3-4 point favorite over us.  Penn St. while much more talented, also takes dumber shots and is not nearly as well coached.  I would be careful wanting Michigan too badly.  

Edited by royalfan

Miami  37/Notre Dame  61 -6pm ESPN Notre Dame - 4 1/2 Need Notre Dame
Maryland  67/Northwestern 116 - 6pm FS1 Pick em  Not really sure it matter much so will go with Fever's lean of Maryland
Coppin State 337/Delaware State  350  - 6:30 http://www.dsuhornets.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPID=5813&DB_OEM_ID=12900&db_oem_id=12900  no line need Delaware St.  My patience is thin after we lost, and now I have to endure this shit.  
Oklahoma 34/Kansas 6 - 8pm ESPN Kansas - 8 1/2  Need Kansas badly

4 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Once again, tip of the cap to all here that do a ton of work.  You people are amazing!  Will you feel a little bit unfulfilled when our Huskers win the B1G Tourney?  :)

Let's just say we can give some really informed advice to people for their brackets for NCAA seeds 8-14 and NIT seeds 1-2 ^_^