Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

3 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Ugh. Washington won. And we’re down to 60 in RPI.

There’ll be bubble teams that win and lose every night.  That win and Oregon’s win stinks for us but, BYU and SMU lost.  I also look at teams who are at home vs on the road.  Washington was at home so the win was a little less impressive than if it would’ve been on the road.  Oregon probably had a win that was right up there with Washington because it was on the road.

18 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

There’ll be bubble teams that win and lose every night.  That win and Oregon’s win stinks for us but, BYU and SMU lost.  I also look at teams who are at home vs on the road.  Washington was at home so the win was a little less impressive than if it would’ve been on the road.  Oregon probably had a win that was right up there with Washington because it was on the road.

Yeah that's true, it'd be a waste of time to get caught up in every bubble game in early February. What's more disheartening to me is seeing our RPI slowly drop a spot or two day-by-day. What I thought was an 8 spot jump from beating Wisconsin looks like it may only end up being a 2-3 spot jump by Tuesday morning.

2 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Yeah that's true, it'd be a waste of time to get caught up in every bubble game in early February. What's more disheartening to me is seeing our RPI slowly drop a spot or two day-by-day. What I thought was an 8 spot jump from beating Wisconsin looks like it may only end up being a 2-3 spot jump by Tuesday morning.

It might be more meaningful to track the "projected" RPI at the end of the year rather than current. It's very possible that these changes in the last few days are as expected and are on schedule with what models expected (I'm not sure)... however, seeing your projected RPI with a given record increase or decrease a couple of spots in a day will tell you whether that was a good night or bad night for us, RPI-speaking.

Saturday's Games of Interest (in order of tip-off time):

Duke/St. John's - would be nice to see St. John's get another win
Oklahoma State/Kansas - keeps OSU (13-9) out of the conversation
Notre Dame/NC State - NC State is getting a lot of traction lately
Houston/UCF - win for us and win to knock Houston down further
Texas Tech/TCU - keeps TCU falling
Clemson/Wake Forest - why not?
Kentucky/Missouri - really need Kentucky to pull this one out
Miami/Virginia Tech - Miami currently a 6 seed vs. play-in Tech
South Carolina/Texas A&M - just keep knocking each other out (SC was just in there however)
Memphis/East Carolina - this may not matter much
Fresno State/Wyoming - just to be safe
Minnesota/Michigan - up for debate
Providence/Marquette - up for debate (Providence #10 vs. Marquette bubble)
South Dakota/North Dakota State - might as well root for the good guy
Arkansas/LSU - knock Arkansas down
Virginia/Syracuse - really need to ensure this happens, although Syracuse tends to knock themselves out of the tournament
Kansas State/West Virginia - WVU is likely a lock no matter how bad they're falling
Alabama/Florida - Alabama is likely in, but this doesn't hurt
Florida State/Louisville - just to be safe
Western Kentucky/UT San Antonio - win/win for us
Delaware State/North Carolina Central - c'mon man!
Iowa/Penn State - up for debate
Georgia/Mississippi State - Georgia is on the bubble
USC/UCLA - keep UCLA out of the conversation
Oklahoma/Texas - keep Texas out of the conversation
Iowa State/Baylor - likely doesn't matter
Arizona/Washington - we need Arizona to win this one

Really appreciate you doing this, @HuskerFever . A couple things I'll add:

Duke/St. John's - St. John's is currently at 118 in RPI. Need them to be better than 135 to stay in Quad 2

South Carolina/Texas A&M - I think it'd be better for A&M to win. Better chance they both get in if SC wins this game.

Minnesota/Michigan - I think we definitely want Michigan - need our best win (and possible best two wins come Selection Sunday) to look better, even though a Minnesota win helps keep our road game against them in Quad 2. Hopefully they find other ways to stay there.

Providence/Marquette - up for debate (Providence #10 vs. Marquette bubble) - agree, I'll probably root for Providence to really give the kill shot to Marquette for losing at home

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

Edited Fever with RPI game times lines and who I think we want to win

Duke 5/St. John's 110 - 11am FOX  Duke -11   Want St. Johns
Oklahoma State 115/Kansas  6- 11am  CBS  Kansas -12  Want Kansas
Notre Dame  77/NC State  65- 11am ESPN  NC St -2 1/2  Want Notre Dame
Houston  48/UCF  70-  11am  ESPNU  Houston -3  We want UCF badly
Texas Tech  17/TCU 22 - 1pm ESPNU  TCU -3 1/2 We want Texas Tech
Clemson 4/Wake Forest  113 - 1pm ACC Network/Espn3  Clemson - 2 1/2  Don't matter but Wake just in case Clemson has epic collapse
Kentucky 13/Missouri 35 -   1pm CBS Missouri -2  We want Kentucky
Miami 20/Virginia Tech 62 - 1pm ESPN  Va Tech - 4 1/2  We want Miami
South Carolina 60/Texas A&M 31 - 1pm ESPN2  Texas AM -6 We want S.  Carolina
Memphis 104/East Carolina  280 - 1pm ESPN News Memphis - 7 1/2  We want E. Carolina
Fresno State  121/Wyoming  57 - 1pm AT&T Sports Network if anyone has that  Wyoming - 1 1/2 We want Fresno

Minnesota 125/Michigan  32 - 1:30 Fox Michigan - 12 1/2  We want Minnesota IMO
Providence 36/Marquette  55 - 1:30 FS1  Marquette -6 Tough one I can see either side of this one slight lean Marquette
South Dakota 112/North Dakota State179 - 2pm ESPN full Court/Espn3  S. dakota -2 Doesn't matter
Arkansas28 /LSU 82 - 1:30 SEC Network/ESPN3 LSU - 1 1/2  We want LSU
Virginia  1/Syracuse 44 - 3pm ACC network/ESPN 3  Virginia - 5 1/2  Need Virginia badly 
Kansas State 67/West Virginia  33 - 3pm ESPN2  West Virginia -7  We want West Virginia
Alabama40 /Florida 41 - 3pm ESPN Florida -7 Want Florida barely I think 
Florida State43 /Louisville 19 - 3pm ACC Network/ESPN3  Louisville -4  We want Louisville
Western Kentucky46 /UT San Antonio 214 - 3pm Conference uSA.com  Possibly fox college sports  W. Kentucky - 7 1/2  We want UTSA
Delaware State 351/North Carolina Central 256 - 3pm https://portal.stretchinternet.com/nccu/  I found this shit, someone better watch!!!  No line We want Deleware St.
Iowa  145/Penn State  109 - 5pm  BTN  Penn St. - 8 1/2  We want Penn St IMO
Georgia 56 /Mississippi State 63 -5pm ESPNU   Mississippi St - 3 1/2 We want Mississippi St. 
USC  38/UCLA 66 -  5pm ESPN2  UCLA -1  We want USC
Oklahoma 11/Texas  34 - 5:15 ESPN  Texas -3  We want Oklahoma
Iowa State 99/Baylor 97 - 7pm ESPN2  Baylor - 8 1/2  We want Iowa St
Arizona 16/Washington 45- 9:30 Pac 12 Network  Arizona - 6 1/2  We want Arizona here

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Saturday's Games of Interest (in order of tip-off time):

Duke/St. John's - would be nice to see St. John's get another win
Oklahoma State/Kansas - keeps OSU (13-9) out of the conversation
Notre Dame/NC State - NC State is getting a lot of traction lately
Houston/UCF - win for us and win to knock Houston down further

Welp. Late in the first half, we are currently 0-4 on these 11:00 games <_<

19 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

South Carolina/Texas A&M - I think it'd be better for A&M to win. Better chance they both get in if SC wins this game.

Yeah this one is tough. It's likely one of those games where we would've wished for a certain outcome had we know how the rest of the season unraveled. Still a chance they both are in, out, or split.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Yep.  And Houston  just had a loss.  Big one for us would be St John’s.

Houston actually beat UCF, which was not good for us.

Agree on Notre Dame NC State. I'm actually glad to see ND lose that one. Their slide from being ranked top five in the country continues.

Kansas goes down. Darn it. That offsets the potential St John's upset. Speaking of which, they're only up three now :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Houston actually beat UCF, which was not good for us.

Agree on Notre Dame NC State. I'm actually glad to see ND lose that one. Their slide from being ranked top five in the country continues.

Kansas goes down. Darn it. That offsets the potential St John's upset. Speaking of which, they're only up three now :wacko:

We needed ucf pretty bad as well as Ku to win that.. St. John’s would be an added bonus, but knowing he johnnies they’ll choke it away.

2 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

How is the St. Johns game really helping us if they win? If anything it helps the bubble teams in the Big East like Providence and Marquette every time they beat them more than it's helping us, considering we got killed by them

Bc that was potentially our worst loss of the season. We do not want that loss to continue to get worse and maybe this will spark them to play better at the end of the last part of the year. 

I see your point and it probably goes both ways.

1 minute ago, ShortDust said:

Bc that was potentially our worst loss of the season. We do not want that loss to continue to get worse and maybe this will spark them to play better at the end of the last part of the year. 

I see your point and it probably goes both ways.

Ya that's true. I guess I'm just kinda torn on it, considering Providence already has one win against them, and I doubt Marquette drops both games to them down the road.

4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

How is the St. Johns game really helping us if they win? If anything it helps the bubble teams in the Big East like Providence and Marquette every time they beat them more than it's helping us, considering we got killed by them

Good point, St. John's winning does help improve the Big East RPIs. But Duke losing hurts the ACC RPIs. So I see that as a wash.

The tiebreaker is that St. John's helps us in multiple facets: helps our RPI, improves our worst loss, and in the same vein, keeps St. John's from moving down to a Quad 3 loss.

2 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Ya that's true. I guess I'm just kinda torn on it, considering Providence already has one win against them, and I doubt Marquette drops both games to them down the road.

There are far more teams on the bubble that didn't play them than did play them though.  We did, so we probably need them to win, although you are correct in that there are scenarios it could backfire.  Not to mention we did not play Duke and some bubble teams did.  

Edited by royalfan