Rutgers

hhcmatt

I am very excited to see how we come out tonight.  The Michigan win was not a fluke and the close loss at Ohio St, despite not playing well, was no fluke either.  While I'm excited, I feel like this is the trickiest game out of the next three in this 6 day span.  Having to stay on the road for a 2nd straight game is not part of the normal routine but I expect Miles will have them ready.  Despite only having 2 conference wins, Rutgers is no joke.  Corey Sanders can do everything that Palmer did for us against Ohio St and single handedly keep Rutgers in the game.  I'll call my shot now...we win by double digits tonight and win the next two relatively comfortably as well.  Going 3-0 over the next six days would be a great accomplishment and set us up well for the final 6 game stretch, which come to think of it, it's shocking we will only have six conference games left before the end of January.  Seriously Jim Delaney????

There's a really solid preview on the Rutgers page of SBNation--

https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/1/24/16920910/rutgers-mens-basketball-game-22-preview-vs-nebraska-tim-miles-james-parker-jr-steve-pikiell-big-ten

I found the breakdown of both teams' strengths and weaknesses to be pretty good.  Of particular note:

"For Division I (351 teams), Rutgers is ranked eighth in rebounding (40.9), ninth in scoring defense (62.1 ppg) thirteenth in both offensive rebounding (13.7) and FG% defense (38.9%), as well as fourteenth in turnover margin (4.1)."

11 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I found the breakdown of both teams' strengths and weaknesses to be pretty good.  Of particular note:

"For Division I (351 teams), Rutgers is ranked eighth in rebounding (40.9), ninth in scoring defense (62.1 ppg) thirteenth in both offensive rebounding (13.7) and FG% defense (38.9%), as well as fourteenth in turnover margin (4.1)." * 

*Rutgers non-conference kenpom sos:  348

13 hours ago, hskr4life said:

"Lots of optimism on this post however unless Nebraska is tired (they played Monday at OSU) or take us for granted, it's going to be difficult to beat them. They're way too athletic and the crowd at the RAC will be a typical midweek blah type of crowd - unless the Students sellout the Student Section and get roused up. Hope I'm wrong but just being practical. I see Nebbie now as the #5 team in the B1G 10 slightly ahead of Maryland."

--Some Rutgers Fan

Before the season started, Some Rutgers Fan was saying we were the worst team in the league and that, thanks to us, they wouldn't finish in last place this year.

I think he meant to thank Iowa.

If we're going to start Roby at the 5, with our "small" line-up shouldn't we be playing at a higher tempo and really pushing the pace? We need more run outs and quicker shots. Having a Jim Palmer in the line-up is certainly a luxury, but just running a clear out for him over and over again isn't an offense. We have a lot of guys who can shoot, but seem skittish. We need to RUN and get some easy looks and easy buckets. 

9 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

If we're going to start Roby at the 5, with our "small" line-up shouldn't we be playing at a higher tempo and really pushing the pace? We need more run outs and quicker shots. Having a Jim Palmer in the line-up is certainly a luxury, but just running a clear out for him over and over again isn't an offense. We have a lot of guys who can shoot, but seem skittish. We need to RUN and get some easy looks and easy buckets. 

With their grind it out style and the pace they try to play this seems to be the way to go. Force tempo on them, make them play from behind with as poor as they are in all offensive categories.

25 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

If we have numbers we should absolutely attack.  However if you look at our upcoming schedule with two more 1 day preps coming after this one I don't think speeding things up is the best action for us.  This game seems like we could grab some minutes with our centers, especially if we want to shore up our rebounding.