Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Nice chart.  A couple of my thoughts.

1. It's a little worrisome that true bubble teams such as Baylor, Texas, Mizzou, and USC have us beat by about an average of 10 spots.
  2. Our SOR sticks out like a sore thumb.  That is pretty remarkable.  If you look at UCLA, Syracuse, and Marquette, they don't have a single metric in the 30's.
  3. This list just goes to show that teams like Arizona State and Oklahoma should be more bubbly than they really are.  That stinks!

According to Bracket Matrix...

From the chart

Notre Dame, Mississippi State, Penn State, Boise State, Maryland and Marquette are all listed behind Nebraska...

UCLA, Syracuse, Washington, Providence St. Bonaventure and Alabama are ranked ahead of us

Looking at that chart Nebraska should be ahead of all of those teams

You take out Alabama's KPI they aren't looking so hot

Edited by big red22

If I'm on a committee it's almost impossible to separate teams on those numbers.  I'd have to look at outliers to make certain teams stand out. One thing that seems to be becoming more clear to me is that there is no stand out conference this year.  I'd have a tough time not taking Nebraska all things considered equal.  Not sure how much is my own fandom speaking, but when things seem so tight based on metrics you have to start using records and eye tests.

7 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

If I'm on a committee it's almost impossible to separate teams on those numbers.  I'd have to look at outliers to make certain teams stand out. One thing that seems to be becoming more clear to me is that there is no stand out conference this year.  I'd have a tough time not taking Nebraska all things considered equal.  Not sure how much is my own fandom speaking, but when things seem so tight based on metrics you have to start using records and eye tests.

You would have to think after looking at all that, they would say... That is way to close to call let's look at

Who did they beat

Conference Record

Overall Record

Last 10

8 minutes ago, big red22 said:

You would have to think after looking at all that, they would say... That is way to close to call let's look at

Who did they beat

Conference Record

Overall Record

Last 10

Except they've said over and over they don't look at at least two of those factors...

10 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Who did they beat

Conference Record

Overall Record

Last 10

Eye Test

Record against full strength teams (Minny, St. Johns, UCF)

Fixed it a little bit.  The committee always says they don't look at records, but I believe that they use the eye test and they'll give us credit for the St. Johns and UCF games not being as bad of losses as they look and the Minny game being a solid (QUAD 1) win.

1 minute ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I don’t see how any committee member can put us in after this. I thought a close loss would get us in. Now I’ll be shocked if it happens. NIT bound. Yay.

I still think play-in game is possible with some help from other bubble teams.  Going to be a looooooooooong 9 days though.  

2 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm not going to follow the other bubble teams, just worn out.

We finished with just 4 wins against under-100 RPI teams. We did all we could, but just needed the win today.

Unfortunatly I think you are correct.  I 100% feel we are one of the best 30 some at large worthy teams. Our resume just doesn’t make a strong case for us though. With that said..every so often there is that one team that shows up on the screen that makes people say WTF. Hopefully that’s us this year. 

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Unfortunatly I think you are correct.  I 100% feel we are one of the best 30 some at large worthy teams. Our resume just doesn’t make a strong case for us though. With that said..every so often there is that one team that shows up on the screen that makes people say WTF. Hopefully that’s us this year. 

There's my chant next weekend: WTF! WTF!

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

This is where I'm at - today was an anomaly. The way we played late in the year, we're definitely NCAA worthy, but I don't think the bid is coming. 

Hopefully I'm very surprised next Sunday. Just disappointed we had our chance to take care of it ourselves in NYC, but instead left it in the hands of someone else now.

The only good thing is having this much time off gives the committee plenty of time to forget about this game and look at our season more as a whole. It's just unfortunate our resume isn't a little stronger - like one missed shot by Kansas stronger. 

NHere's three things that will piss me off next Sunday.  Our name on the front of the jerseys, will keep us out.  Put our resume with a Maryland name in our place we are a 7 seed.  Schedule WSC instead of Deleware State, we are a 10 seed.  Hit a shot against KU,  we are a 10 seed.

5 minutes ago, brfrad said:

NHere's three things that will piss me off next Sunday.  Our name on the front of the jerseys, will keep us out.  Put our resume with a Maryland name in our place we are a 7 seed.  Schedule WSC instead of Deleware State, we are a 10 seed.  Hit a shot against KU,  we are a 10 seed.

I agree with your last statement for sure, and probably your second statement too. First one though? I don't buy it. Does anyone have evidence of the blue bloods getting moved up 15-20 spots just because of their name??? No way. Wasn't Kentucky in the NIT a few years ago? 

Wow, I just realized. Not only should be we scheduling a D-2 opponent each year to replace a D-1 bottom feeder and thus helping our RPI, but all of our Big Ten brethren should be too. Since the quadrants are based on RPI, we will have many more tier 1, tier 2, etc games if they all improve their RPI by ~10  spots as well. 

Still think the quadrants should be based on an aggregate metric, not a single one. 

6 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I agree with your last statement for sure, and probably your second statement too. First one though? I don't buy it. Does anyone have evidence of the blue bloods getting moved up 15-20 spots just because of their name??? No way. Wasn't Kentucky in the NIT a few years ago? 

Kentucky was, but they also didn't win 13 games in the SEC that year, maybe 7 seed was a little high.

7 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Wow, I just realized. Not only should be we scheduling a D-2 opponent each year to replace a D-1 bottom feeder and thus helping our RPI, but all of our Big Ten brethren should be too. Since the quadrants are based on RPI, we will have many more tier 1, tier 2, etc games if they all improve their RPI by ~10  spots as well. 

Still think the quadrants should be based on an aggregate metric, not a single one. 

It's not just the quads and RPI, we're not strong by any measure that the committee uses. We're 56 in KenPom, 55 in Sagarin, 63 in TeamRankings. These aren't RPI, they're analytics. So the only things that favor us are eye test and conference record. We needed to win today BAAAAAAAD.