Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

RESPECT.  Hard to earn.  We have no NCAA basketball history to speak of.  We have a history of good wins, and horrific losses.  Our reputation is that if we do get to the NCAA tournament, we will quickly lose and go home.  Like it or not, that is Nebraskaball in a couple of sentences.  We have to go out and earn respect and that puts pressure on us to win each and every game.  If we should lose, the sky will fall...

Here is further discussion on that same subject.  If Wisconsin, Michigan State, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, et al, had the same exact record as we do, and if they were playing well at this time of the year and are in the top four of their league, would they be on the outside looking in?  Perhaps, but likely not.  They have history and respect.  We have neither.  So we need to provide the shock and awe.  We need to keep winning and make any question regarding our worthiness to play in the tournament moot.  I believe the team knows this...hence the wake up call at the ten minute mark last night. 

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4840094

No, but I was not expecting that good of a jump either.  Just goes to show that road wins will be at a premium for us so if we can win @Minnesota we can expect another nice jump.  With that said, if we continue to rack up wins and hover around 50 in the RPI you have to think we have a good shot. 

50 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Here is further discussion on that same subject.  If Wisconsin, Michigan State, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, et al, had the same exact record as we do, and if they were playing well at this time of the year and are in the top four of their league, would they be on the outside looking in?  Perhaps, but likely not.

+1

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

This site is kind of fun comparing teams side by side.

Here is us and Maryland, you cant convince me that they have a stronger resume than we do, but they are on "the bubble" and we aren't.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/team-comparison/NEB/MD

Agreed. Very little on this comparison suggest the Terps resume is better than ours thus far. Something is backwards here!

18 hours ago, nustudent said:

To me..the UCF loss is the biggest killer.   Kansas is better than we are.  Even though we could have won, I can still accept that loss.   Penn State is a quality team on the road.   Creighton is a quality team on the road.   Even St. John's at the time was a quality team on the road.    UCF was a neutral site game against a team that we are better than.   And the loss cost us a big difference in quality of opponents the next two games as well.   That one haunts me more than any of the others.

Agreed, however we are a very different team now than we were then...still, in vacuum, it is a bad loss.

3 hours ago, huskercwg said:

If Wisconsin, Michigan State, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, et al, had the same exact record as we do, and if they were playing well at this time of the year and are in the top four of their league, would they be on the outside looking in?  Perhaps, but likely not. 

Not saying that there isn't a bias towards big-name programs, but if they had our exact resume they would certainly be teetering the line. I do agree that they'd have an edge over us, though. But I also think some people don't understand how important it is to have a top 50 RPI. Your resume is automatically in question if you're out of the top 50. It becomes even more skeptical when you're 0-5 in Quad 1 games.

I definitely feel better after last night for a couple reasons. First, because our RPI jumped more than I expected. It'll be interesting to see where we're at a week from now before we play Minnesota. Even better news is that Minnesota's early season success is helping their RPI, which means we can hope for another 8-10 spot jump if we beat them.

Then the second reason for my renewed optimism is the national publicity we're getting. SVP leading off Sports Center with a Nebrasketball reference. National guys tweeting about us. That's huge, because it means committee members will be paying close attention to us over the next month. We need them to see how good we are.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

1 hour ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Not saying that there isn't a bias towards big-name programs, but if they had our exact resume they would certainly be teetering the line. I do agree that they'd have an edge over us, though. But I also think some people don't understand how important it is to have a top 50 RPI. Your resume is automatically in question if you're out of the top 50. It becomes even more skeptical when you're 0-5 in Quad 1 games.

I definitely feel better after last night for a couple reasons. First, because our RPI jumped more than I expected. It'll be interesting to see where we're at a week from now before we play Minnesota. Even better news is that Minnesota's early season success is helping their RPI, which means we can hope for another 8-10 spot jump if we beat them.

Then the second reason for my renewed optimism is the national publicity we're getting. SVP leading off Sports Center with a Nebrasketball reference. National guys tweeting about us. That's huge, because it means committee members will be paying close attention to us over the next month. We need them to see how good we are.

RPI Forecast is pretty accurate. Predicting how our RPI changes game by game doesn't seem to add a lot of value to me, but these end-of-season RPI projections should be pretty accurate (I think it's likely that wins and losses by our opponents differently than what RPI Forecast projects will even out for the most part): Link

11 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

RPI Forecast is pretty accurate. Predicting how our RPI changes game by game doesn't seem to add a lot of value to me, but these end-of-season RPI projections should be pretty accurate (I think it's likely that wins and losses by our opponents differently than what RPI Forecast projects will even out for the most part): Link

Interesting. Thanks, fellow Actuary (pun not intended). ;)

I don't agree at all with their projection that we'll finish 3-3. I think at the very worst we finish 4-2, with 5-1 being the most likely.

On the other hand, I must say their RPI projections given each end-of-season record seems to be pretty much in line with what I expected. I figured 22-9 would put us in the mid-50s. Would have to assume we end up with the 4 seed in that instance, then we'd play Michigan in a 4-5 matchup. Win and our RPI would be top 50 and we'd be a lock. Lose and we'd be sweating it out at 22-10 with a mid-to-high 50s RPI and a lack of quality wins.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

19 hours ago, nustudent said:

Fact of the matter is....we're unfortunately being dealt some bad luck.   Nothing we can really do about it.   It happens.   It happens elsewhere.  It's not exclusive to us.   Every year there is a deserving team left out because their SOS or RPI isn't ideal.   It just might be us.  The bad luck stems in the fact that some teams we scheduled, just didn't pan out to be as good as expected.   We have a few patsys....but every team does.   It's not like we didn't make an effort.   Gavitt Game, ACC/Big 10 challenge, Kansas, Creighton, Orlando Tourney is over 50% of our non-con.   This isn't a deal where Doc scheduled the entire SWAC as his non-con and that was it.   We made an attempt and it didn't work in our favor.  Just as in last year, the non-con was probably a bit more difficult than expected.

Minnesota and St. John's tanking hurts.   Couldn't expect that.   Can't fault our non-con schedule.   It was strong enough, especially had we beaten UCF. 

To me..the UCF loss is the biggest killer.   Kansas is better than we are.  Even though we could have won, I can still accept that loss.   Penn State is a quality team on the road.   Creighton is a quality team on the road.   Even St. John's at the time was a quality team on the road.    UCF was a neutral site game against a team that we are better than.   And the loss cost us a big difference in quality of opponents the next two games as well.   That one haunts me more than any of the others.

Yep, the UCF game really hurt...not just because it's a team we are more talented than but it would have given us a schedule of UCF/W Virginia/SJU.  Avoiding Marist(300+RPI) and Long Beach would have been really nice. 

10 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Interesting. Thanks, fellow Actuary (pun not intended). ;)

I don't agree at all with their projection that we'll finish 3-3. I think at the very worst we finish 4-2, with 5-1 being the most likely.

On the other hand, I must say their RPI projections given each end-of-season record seems to be pretty much in line with what I expected. I figured 22-9 would put us in the mid-50s. Would have to assume we end up with the 4 seed in that instance, then we'd play Michigan in a 4-5 matchup. Win and our RPI would be top 50 and we'd be a lock. Lose and we'd be sweating it out at 22-10 with a mid-to-high 50s RPI and a lack of quality wins.

Cool, I agree with all of that. I wasn't promoting their W/L projections but rather the RPIs based on a specific end-of-season record.

There have been 21 brackets on Bracket Matrix that have been updated since our win at Wisconsin. Here's where we stand on all of them, in alphabetical order.

131Sports: Sixth team out

Best Damn Bracket Period: "next five out" (i.e. between sixth and 10th team out)

Bracketologist3: Not included in first eight teams out

BracketWAG: Somewhere between fifth and 19th team out

Bracketodds: 1 of 15 teams considered for at-large bid but not in field

BracketResearch: Not in first eight out

Busted Bracketology: 21st team out

Daily Bracket: Not included in first four out

Eye on the Tournament: Not included in first six out

Haslametrics: Sixth team out

Jason Wells Bracketology: Included in tournament as 10 seed

MM: Sixth team out

RealtimeRPI: Not included in tournament

RSN Bracketology: 13th team out

Ruckles Bracket: Sixth team out

Sporting News: Somewhere between fifth team out and 15th team out

TeamRankings: Not included in tournament

Tourney Worthy: Not included in tournament

T-Rank: 13th team out

Weber: Not included in tournament

YUSAG Bracketology: 15th team out

Edited by HuskerActuary

49 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

There have been 21 brackets on Bracket Matrix that have been updated since our win at Wisconsin. Here's where we stand on all of them, in alphabetical order.

131Sports: Sixth team out

Best Damn Bracket Period: "next five out" (i.e. between sixth and 10th team out)

Bracketologist3: Not included in first eight teams out

BracketWAG: Somewhere between fifth and 19th team out

Bracketodds: 1 of 15 teams considered for at-large bid but not in field

BracketResearch: Not in first eight out

Busted Bracketology: 21st team out

Daily Bracket: Not included in first four out

Eye on the Tournament: Not included in first six out

Haslametrics: Sixth team out

Jason Wells Bracketology: Included in tournament as 10 seed

MM: Sixth team out

RealtimeRPI: Not included in tournament

RSN Bracketology: 13th team out

Ruckles Bracket: Sixth team out

Sporting News: Somewhere between fifth team out and 15th team out

TeamRankings: Not included in tournament

Tourney Worthy: Not included in tournament

T-Rank: 13th team out

Weber: Not included in tournament

YUSAG Bracketology: 15th team out

Goodness, who would have thought that there are this many experts.  I believe Husker Hoops Central should officially start their own bracketology to compete with the myriad of others in existence.  We can assist in making this thang happen this season.

I am not worrying about whether we are in brackets right now.  There are a number of schools being discussed for at large bids that have around the same number of losses as Nebraska.  But all of these schools have 9-10 games left to play while Nebraska has 6 winnable games.  If any of those schools have 3 or more losses in the next 9-10 games, Nebraska should be part of the conversation more and more.

The mental make up of this team compared to a year ago is incredible.  This year Nebraska has swept Michigan and Wisconsin (2-16 against both schools since entering the BIG).  Keep it up, finish 14-4, and Nebraska is dancing.    

32 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Maybe he's thinking it's either 50% Maryland or it's 50% nobody?

Thats the vibe I got reading that. Also @HuskerFever I'm starting to share your concern with us having less games to play than the rest of this field. Last night kind of proved it. A bubble team like Georgia for example gets a big win and moves ahead of us in bubble talk and our Wisconsin win seems all but forgotten.