Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This is extremely telling.

This would be great for us any year before this year as this was highlighted on the team sheets. The quadrant system is overshadowing this and it might be a travesty to us if people on the committee are not exposed to this data cut. That's terrifying.

2 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Like Bilas said, these are good men on the committee but the more they tell us about how it works, the less sense it makes.  

Now I just found out each of them are assigned leagues this weekend.  That is an asinine idea.  

Same. I tried searching if any of those assignments were public but couldn't find anything. So what about the 13 other conferences who have already played their tournaments?

I found this interesting:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-leader-explains-why-even-easy-wins-matter/

"I had scheduled to come in and watch -- when we set this up before Christmas, and the expectation was six or eight teams in the Big Ten would be candidates for the tournament. I think there's a value in seeing teams in person. You see the physicality and the length. You see how they respond to things that don't go their way, maybe a call. You see a little bit more. You get a feel for the flow of the game and why the game ends up being the way it is.

It gives you a point of reference, too. If I've seen Michigan State in person, when Michigan State's playing Purdue, I've got a benchmark. So physicality, size, speed and so forth. It isn't that you have to see a team in order to get a better feel for them, but if you've seen somebody that they play it gives you a benchmark."

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Good news!!! We have officially fallen out of the Next 4 out!  According to Joe.

My favorite thing with Lunardi's unofficial updates (while the games are still going on for the night) has been his steadfast opinion about the outcome of the remaining games. A perfect example was during a Washington game (maybe it was against Oregon?) where he said at halftime "Washington is in the First Four Bye no matter if they win or lose this game."

I had a very busy week at work, so I'm just catching up on where we stand. I just compared the resumes of Nebraska versus the last four teams in on Bracket Matrix this morning - see below. Unless the committee chooses to place far more emphasis on strength of record than the other metrics, I see very little chance of an at-large at this point. 

That said, if there is one metric that is probably equated to the most "deserving", it's definitely strength of record. SOR is not a good way to evaluate who the best teams are, but it finds who is the most deserving.

large.5aa3db54200fa_NebraskaTournamentRe

53 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I had a very busy week at work, so I'm just catching up on where we stand. I just compared the resumes of Nebraska versus the last four teams in on Bracket Matrix this morning - see below. Unless the committee chooses to place far more emphasis on strength of record than the other metrics, I see very little chance of an at-large at this point. 

That said, if there is one metric that is probably equated to the most "deserving", it's definitely strength of record. SOR is not a good way to evaluate who the best teams are, but it finds who is the most deserving.

large.5aa3db54200fa_NebraskaTournamentRe

What does Wins Above Bubble look like?

39 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

What does Wins Above Bubble look like?

On my phone so I don't have that readily available, but we look good at WAB. But WAB doesn't appear on the committee's team sheets, so I didn't include it in my comparison because it doesn't seem as relevant for how the decisions will be made. What I included is the info that the committee will be looking at.

37 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

On my phone so I don't have that readily available, but we look good at WAB. But WAB doesn't appear on the committee's team sheets, so I didn't include it in my comparison because it doesn't seem as relevant for how the decisions will be made. What I included is the info that the committee will be looking at.

Thought that’s what you were doing.  I think we can all agree that for us to have a shot, we’re going to have to have the committee look outside the team sheets.

I hope they just put us in to show guys like Loonardi and Palm that they’re (the committee) the ones in charge.  That’s my personal vendetta though.  :lol:

Dakich just went to bat for us on SC with Hannah Storm.  Her question was which one of Lunardi's bubble teams could be the most dangerous if they got in (of course we weren't listed).  He chose Arizona St bc they've shown it before.  Went on talk about OU's fall from grace and then said St Mary's couldn't win 5 games in the Big 10. 

He ended by saying to be honest I wouldn't take any of the teams on that list over a 13 Big 10 win Nebraska.  They should be in over any of them.

Edited by tjp21

Updated after last night ----

I think we're up to 30 locks for the 36 at larges. Not good news.

And even worse, I think UCLA is all but a lock at this point - taking Arizona to OT probably was enough to separate them from the rest of the bubble. And I think if St Bony wins today, they're almost certainly in - not a lock but probably 80-85%, unless St Joes steals the auto bid, then St Bony is back on the bubble.

So in reality we may be down to 4 bubble bids for 14 teams if St Bony wins today. I suppose if Alabama just gets boat-raced today by Kentucky, they maybe could fall back to the bubble. Unlikely, but possible.

---

But if the committee is picking NU because of how different it is from other teams, it may not matter how many bubble spots there are left, because our resume looks so much different than every other Power 5 team on the board. Still going to be tough though. Not feeling as hopeful today after Alabama won & Nevada lost ... and I was only at 30%-35% yesterday.

I think today all the focus is on the A-10. We need St Bony to lose to Davidson, URI to beat St Joes.

All the other bubble teams are done. Since the A-10 games are in the afternoon and Alabama-Ky is this afternoon, the committee will probably have its decisions made by tonight on the full field. There are no bid stealers left in any conference tournament, other than the A-10 - all of the P5 teams still playing are safely in (maybe other than Alabama).

EDIT:: Sorry, forgot about Memphis in the AAC - they could steal a bid, as the other 3 semifinalists are safely in.

Assumed Auto Bid Champions

·         Arizona

·         Cincinnati

·         Kansas

·         Michigan

·         Rhode Island

·         Tennessee

·         Virginia

·         Villanova

At large locks

1.       Alabama

2.       Arkansas

3.       Auburn

4.       Butler

5.       Clemson

6.       Creighton

7.       Duke

8.       Florida

9.       Florida St

10.   Houston

11.   Kansas St

12.   Kentucky

13.   Miami

14.   Mich St

15.   Missouri

16.   N Carolina

17.   NC State

18.   Nevada

19.   Ohio St

20.   Providence

21.   Purdue

22.   Seton Hall

23.   TCU

24.   Tex A&M

25.   Texas Tech

26.   USC

27.   Va Tech

28.   W Virginia

29.   Wichita

30.   Xavier

As far as potential bid stealers, Rhode Island would take an at large spot if it loses in its conference tournament.

**Rhode Island (vs St Joes - semis)

Bubble (6 spots left)

1.       Arizona St – 20-11

2.       Baylor – 18-14

3.       Louisville – 20-13

4.       Marquette – 19-13

5.       Middle Tenn – 24-7

6.       Nebraska – 22-10

7.       Notre Dame – 20-14

8.       Oklahoma – 18-13

9.       Oklahoma St – 19-14

10.   Oregon – 22-12

11.   St Bonaventure (vs Davidson - semis)

12.   St Mary’s – 28-5

13.   Syracuse – 20-13

14.   Texas – 19-14

15.   UCLA – 21-11

16.   Utah – 19-11

Edited by throwback

Since the qualifiers are going to be read 1-68 in alphabetical order Sunday, here are the teams in alphabetical order still in contention. 

I'll update it again tomorrow to make it easier to follow along as the teams are announced, see which bubble teams may have been left out, if any at-large locks have been left out, etc.

KEY:

GREEN and BOLD = Automatic bids (Double slashes are tournaments still in progress - favorite listed first)

BLUE and ITALIC = Likely At-Large bid locks

RED and UNDERLINED = Bubble teams (I'm estimating there are 6 bubble spots remaining)

Alabama

Arizona // Southern California

Arizona State

Arkansas

Arkansas-Pine Bluff // Texas Southern

Auburn

Baylor

Bucknell

Buffalo // Toledo

Butler

Charleston

Cincinnati // Houston // Wichita St // Memphis

Clemson

Creighton

Duke

Florida

Florida State

Gonzaga

Hampton // North Carolina Central

Harvard // Penn // Yale // Cornell

Houston

Iona

Kansas // West Virginia

Kansas State

Kentucky

Lipscomb

LIU Brooklyn

Louisiana // Georgia State // Georgia Southern // Texas-Arlington

Louisville

Loyola-Chicago

Marquette

Miami

Michigan

Michigan St

Middle Tennessee

Missouri

Montana // Eastern Washington

Murray State

Nebraska

Nevada

New Mexico // San Diego State

New Mexico State // Grand Canyon

North Carolina

North Carolina State

North Carolina-Greensboro

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Oregon

Providence

Purdue

Radford

Rhode Island // St. Bonaventure // Davidson // St. Joseph’s

Seton Hall

South Dakota State

Southeastern Louisiana // Stephen F Austin

Southern California

St. Bonaventure

St. Mary’s

Syracuse

Tennessee // Kentucky // Arkansas // Alabama

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Christian

Texas Tech

UC Davis // UC Irvine

UCLA

Utah

Vermont // Maryland-Baltimore County

Villanova // Providence

Virginia // North Carolina

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

Western Kentucky // Marshall

Wichita State

Wright State

Xavier

Just thought of something - will teams be listed alphabetically by abbreviations or by spelling out the name?  Southern Cal fans may have a heart attack if they think their team will be listed alphabetically as Southern Cal and it appears they've been left out, but they're really listed alphabetically as USC and they'll just be announced later.

Edited by throwback