Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

2 hours ago, throwback said:

Rasmussen on at halftime of Cincy-WSU game:

How does FBI investigation affect things?

- We'll pay no attention to the investigation. That's outside of our jurisdiction. Someone else has to decide those things, player eligibility, coach eligibility etc, and only then would we let it affect the selections/seedings.

Notre Dame? Returning injured player helps?

-- Every year we deal with player availability, losing players to injury or getting a player back from injury late. ND is interesting because of how good Colson is. Will be an interesting discussion.

How long does bracketing take?

-- Don't spend a lot of time on bracketing. Work more on seeding teams 1 through 68 correctly and then making slight changes to avoid conference rematches, etc. Minimal time on bracketing, maybe an hour.

What about Nebraska?

-- They're in, no question.

(Sorry I just may have dreamed or mis-heard that last one. In my defense, I don't speak bluejay.)

Bruce Rasmussen said we are in no question?  Did I read that right?

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

You're joking right? ;)

Well, he may have said it. Even though I don't speak bluejay, I've been drinking like a bluejay hanging out in the Century Link end zone with his back to the court today, so those two factors may cancel each other out and he could've said it.

Just now, royalfan said:

We would be 15 spots higher in the RPI if we had not played Delaware St.  If that doesn't speak to how pathetic that metric is, then nothing does.  

This.  So much this.  One game against an actual D1 team should not affect a metric that much when push comes to shove.  

Just like with SOS, someone who plays #1, #2, and #300 is worse off than someone who plays #99, #100, and #101 I read today.

37 minutes ago, royalfan said:

We would be 15 spots higher in the RPI if we had not played Delaware St.  If that doesn't speak to how pathetic that metric is, then nothing does.  

And the truly sad part about this is the NCAA is basically encouraging teams to not schedule the bottom feeders of D-1 and schedule D-2 instead by punishing you for even playing those teams.

Those low-end D-1 schools need those paychecks to even have an athletic program. Heck, UNO is in this spot now. So the NCAA allows these teams - almost encourages it - to jump to D-1 with the carrot of the NCAA Tournament.

But by using RPI,  it makes it far less likely that big schools will schedule them going forward, killing the low-end D-1 schools' athletic budgets, which are already hurting. 

Time to rely on a new metric or series of metrics. RPI was great in the days of needing pencil and paper to figure it out, because it's so simple. It's outdated. When you can't even figure out how to give a team a penalty for scheduling a D-2 team in your metric, it's a bad metric.

Edited by throwback

1 minute ago, throwback said:

And the truly sad part about this is the NCAA is basically encouraging teams to not schedule the bottom feeders of D-1 and schedule D-2 instead by punishing you for even playing those teams.

Those low-end D-1 schools need those paychecks to even have an athletic program. Heck, UNO is in this spot now. So the NCAA allows these teams - almost encourages it - to jump to D-1 with the carrot of the NCAA Tournament.

But by using RPI,  it makes it far less likely that big schools will schedule them going forward, killing the low-end D-1 schools' athletic budgets, which are already hurting. 

Time to rely on a new metric or series of metrics. RPI was great in the days of needing pencil and paper to figure it out, because it's so simple. It's outdated. When you can't even figure out how to give a team a penalty for scheduling a D-2 team in your metric, it's a bad metric.

I say scheduling a DII school should automatically = playing like the 400th RPI team if we had 400.  

If the quadrants used average of the 6 metrics instead of asinine RPI, here is how our quadrants would change. 

Nebraska

good

Penn St. A  q1 instead of q2 loss    

St. Johns q1 instead of q2 loss

Penn St H q2 instead of q3 win

NW q2 win instead of q3 win

Minny A q2 win instead of q3 win

Minny H q3 win instead of q4 win

Illinois A q2 loss instead of q3 loss

Illinois H q3 win instead of q4 win

Rutgers H Q3 win instead of q4 win

bad 

long beach q4 win instead of q3 win

We also would be extremely close to having a q1 road win at Wisconsin.  They are 77th in average of the metrics so possible that could still slide to a q1 win.  It is criminal how bad the Big 10 is deflated in this ridiculous RPI.  

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

According to Lunardi now 90% of the big 12 either in or 1st four out (poor ISU). We have stumbled behind Penn St, Boise St, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma St.

I can maybe see PSU.... that is a good battle there.

Boise I am like WHAT?  Notre Dame I am like WHAT?  OSU needs to lose to OU.

I get that I'm a homer, but I just can't see Penn State getting in OVER us. Their 3 quad 1 wins are all against Ohio State -- which, obviously, is impressive, but not world-beating, and that's literally the only good team they beat. Their record in the Big Ten is much lower than ours. I get that Rider isn't quite the head-scratcher it was at the time, but they still lost to them at home. They beat us in overtime at their place without our big man; we DESTROYED them at our place without theirs. We're 16 points ahead of them in RPI, 1 ahead in SOS (odd but true), and 20 ahead of them in SOR. If you make a case for them, it's purely based on the eye test, and if that's the case, we pass that too. I get that they're kind of the trendy thing right now, but I legitimately don't understand how they're getting any sort of buzz to get in over us.

This is where I currently think we sit

Big 10 is not getting 9 teams in (7)...

Kansas
Texas Tech
TCU
West Virginia
Kansas State

>>>Insert Nebraska here<<<

Two of the following are out behind Nebraska

Baylor needs a win
Oklahoma needs a win
Texas needs a two wins Iowa State and one more
Oklahoma State needs two wins Oklahoma and...

SEC is not getting not getting 9 in (7)...

Auburn
Tennessee
Missouri
Kentucky
Florida
Arkansas

Texas A&M  (Needs to beat Alabama)

>>>Insert Nebraska Here<<<

Alabama (Needs to make the championship game)
Mississippi State (Needs a quality win so needs to beat LSU and beat a good team after that too)

Pac 12 is not getting 5 in (3) maybe 4...

Arizona

USC (Needs one win in the Pac 12 tournament)
UCLA (Needs one win in the Pac 12 tournament)
Arizona State (Needs one win in the Pac 12 tournament
Utah (Needs two wins in the Pac 12 tournament)

Washington is OUT

ACC may get 9 in but I am predicting 8...

Virginia
Duke
Virginia Tech
Clemson
Miami
North Carolina
NC State

Florida State (Beat Louisville they are in, lose they are out)
Louisville (Beat Florida State they are in, lose they are out)
Syracuse (Needs two wins Wake Forest and then one more)
Notre Dame (Needs to make the championship Game)

Big East is not getting 7 in (5) maybe 6...

Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall
Creighton

Butler (May need a win, but I think they are in)

Marquette (Needs two wins in the Big East tournament DePaul and...)
Providence (Needs to beat Creighton)
Edited by big red22

33 minutes ago, big red22 said:

This is where I currently think we sit

Big 10 is not getting 9 teams in (7)...

Kansas
Texas Tech
TCU
West Virginia
Kansas State

>>>Insert Nebraska here<<<

Two of the following are out behind Nebraska

Baylor needs a win
Oklahoma needs a win
Texas needs a two wins Iowa State and one more
Oklahoma State needs two wins Oklahoma and...

SEC is not getting not getting 9 in (7)...

Auburn
Tennessee
Missouri
Kentucky
Florida
Arkansas

Texas A&M  (Needs to beat Alabama)

Alabama (Needs to make the championship game)
Mississippi State (Needs a quality win so needs to beat LSU and beat a good team after that too)

Pac 12 is not getting 5 in (3) maybe 4...

Arizona

USC (Needs one win in the Pac 12 tournament)
UCLA (Needs one win in the Pac 12 tournament)
Arizona State (Needs one win in the Pac 12 tournament
Utah (Needs two wins in the Pac 12 tournament)

Washington is OUT

ACC may get 9 in but I am predicting 8...

Virginia
Duke
Virginia Tech
Clemson
Miami
North Carolina
NC State

Florida State (Beat Louisville they are in, lose they are out)
Louisville (Beat Florida State they are in, lose they are out)
Syracuse (Needs two wins Wake Forest and then one more)
Notre Dame (Needs to make the championship Game)

Big East is not getting 7 in (5) maybe 6...

Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall
Creighton

Butler (May need a win, but I think they are in)

Marquette (Needs two wins in the Big East tournament DePaul and...)
Providence (Needs to beat Creighton)

That is way too optimistic. 

A&M is in. Very much need them to beat Alabama. 

Florida State is in. Very much need them to beat Louisville. 

Butler is in. A loss to Seton Hall will not hurt them. 

Providence is in. A loss to Creighton will not hurt them. 

Our best case scenario over the next couple days:

Atlantic 10

Rhode Island or St. Bonaventure must win conference tournament

ACC

Florida State > Louisville

UNC > Syracuse (after Cuse beats Wake Forest)
Virginia Tech > Notre Dame (after Notre Dame beats Pitt)

Nebraska above Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame

Big 12

Texas Tech > Texas (after Texas beats Iowa State...Texas probably still gets in easily)

West Virginia > Baylor

Kansas > Oklahoma/Oklahoma State winner

Nebraska above Baylor, OU/OSU loser

Big East

Villanova > Marquette (after Marquette beats DePaul)

Nebraska above Marquette

Mountain West

Need Nevada to win conference tournament

Pac-12

USC > Washington (after Washington beats Oregon State; loser of this game probably below us)

Oregon > Utah

Nebraska above 2 of of the quarterfinals losers

SEC

Texas A&M > Alabama

Tennessee > Mississippi State (after MSU beats LSU)

Nebraska above Alabama, Mississippi State

WCC

Gonzaga wins tournament

BYU > St. Mary's (semifinal)

Nebraska above St. Mary's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see 15 teams competing for 6 spots right now and in this dream scenario I could see us in 4th for those 6. Need a lot to go our way though and a lot of bubble teams to stop upsetting these "quality" teams, which continues to be the case unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, MilesDavis said:

That is way too optimistic. 

A&M is in. Very much need them to beat Alabama. 

Florida State is in. Very much need them to beat Louisville. 

Butler is in. A loss to Seton Hall will not hurt them. 

Providence is in. A loss to Creighton will not hurt them. 

Our best case scenario over the next couple days:

Atlantic 10

Rhode Island or St. Bonaventure must win conference tournament

ACC

Florida State > Louisville

UNC > Syracuse (after Cuse beats Wake Forest)
Virginia Tech > Notre Dame (after Notre Dame beats Pitt)

Nebraska above Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame

Big 12

Texas Tech > Texas (after Texas beats Iowa State...Texas probably still gets in easily)

West Virginia > Baylor

Kansas > Oklahoma/Oklahoma State winner

Nebraska above Baylor, OU/OSU loser

Big East

Villanova > Marquette (after Marquette beats DePaul)

Nebraska above Marquette

Mountain West

Need Nevada to win conference tournament

Pac-12

USC > Washington (after Washington beats Oregon State; loser of this game probably below us)

Oregon > Utah

Nebraska above 2 of of the quarterfinals losers

SEC

Texas A&M > Alabama

Tennessee > Mississippi State (after MSU beats LSU)

Nebraska above Alabama, Mississippi State

WCC

Gonzaga wins tournament

BYU > St. Mary's (semifinal)

Nebraska above St. Mary's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see 15 teams competing for 6 spots right now and in this dream scenario I could see us in 4th for those 6. Need a lot to go our way though and a lot of bubble teams to stop upsetting these "quality" teams, which continues to be the case unfortunately. 

Providence is definitely not "In" right now.  Their BPI is at 72, and SOR is borderline at 46.  They lose to Creighton they are out

Washington is out... Do yourself a favor and look past the RPI please.  Their BPI is 113 and their SOR is 73.  Washington is OUT

Edited by big red22

14 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Providence is definitely not "In" right now.  Their BPI is at 72, and SOR is borderline at 46.  They lose to Creighton they are out

Washington is out... Do yourself a favor and look past the RPI please.  Their BPI is 113 and their SOR is 73.  Washington is OUT

I follow everything that you are saying, but this isn't an exercise of who we think should be in, it's an exercise of who we think the committee will put in... Hope I am wrong. 

6 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I disagree. If you beat the #2 and #3 team in the nation you're going to get the nod even if you lose to Creighton and don't hit the 20 win mark. I remember a team that had very a similar resume to this year's Providence in 2013/14.....

20 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Believe me, I think the RPI is a crock and I don't look at it at all. Providence was a lock to me because they've beaten Villanova, Xavier, Creighton and Butler. They do have more horrible losses than I realized, so you may be right if Creighton blows them out. I still would not give us the edge over Providence, if I'm being unbiased. There are some Big 12 teams that I would, however...cough cough.

Washington has terrible numbers, but they beat Kansas on the road and Arizona. Their worst loss is better than ours. If they beat USC I could easily see them switching spots with them. Either way, it's irrelevant because I still see the Pac 12 getting 4 teams in no matter the combination (Arizona, USC, UCLA, Utah, Washington, Arizona State).

Edited by MilesDavis

Mind boggling numbers for the Big 10 teams entering Sunday games RPI vs average of the 6 metrics that the committee was supposed to use for the quadrants when coaches pushed for the quadrants.   Average first, RPI second.  Mind boggling how flawed the RPI is.  Mind boggling how stupid it is to have quadrant based on it.  

Purdue 5/10

Michigan St. 7/15

Michigan 15/13

Ohio St 19/23

Penn St 47/76

Maryland 55/70

Nebraska 56/64

Wisconsin 77/110

Indiana 86/120

Northwestern 101/165

Iowa 107/158

Minnesota 109/172