Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

The bracket matrix is and has been drunk for about a week now. Almost every team around us has lost, if not multiple times, RECENTLY, and only shuffled behind us or up between each other ahead of us. It's a conspiracy, I'm calling it folks!! :D

Just have to go out and win in the big apple. This whole thing is as ridiculous a dance as the BTT being in New York.

welp, at least we're in that pack. jlAMkyy.jpg

Just now, big red22 said:

More than Washington?  Syracuse is the only one ahead of us that can make a case, and it is not a good one!

Washington stinks, but they do have that win on the road against KU in their pocket along with a sweep of ASU and Arizona.  Mississippi State got clobbered last night and should drop out until they win at least 1-2 more.  Marquette is terrible the last few weeks and shouldn't be in anything.  UCLA just lost to both Colorado and Stanford.  They should 100% be out.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Washington stinks, but they do have that win on the road against KU in their pocket along with a sweep of ASU and Arizona.  Mississippi State got clobbered last night and should drop out until they win at least 1-2 more.  Marquette is terrible the last few weeks and shouldn't be in anything.  UCLA just lost to both Colorado and Stanford.  They should 100% be out.

This is why I love doing this kind of stuff. I kind of lean UCLA over Washington right now. Bruins have Arizona and Kentucky wins HTH over Washington. The Arizona, Sun Devil sweep for Washington was at home. 1/2 game lead in standings. Who knows, right? The beauty of the human element.

Just now, hhctony said:

This is why I love doing this kind of stuff. I kind of lean UCLA over Washington right now. Bruins have Arizona and Kentucky wins HTH over Washington. The Arizona, Sun Devil sweep for Washington was at home. 1/2 game lead in standings. Who knows, right? The beauty of the human element.

Right.  I mean if we're being honest I got the Huskers in over all of those teams. (Washington, UCLA, Marquette, Mississippi State)

:ph34r::rolleyes:

I live in OKC and listen to a lot of sports talk radio during the workday.  They just had a discussion about OU and their tournament resume.  Most people around here (even the biggest homers) don't think OU looks like a tourney team right now.  Some will argue the overall resume and metrics will get them in, some don't think they pass the eye test and are on the bubble and will need to right the ship and win a couple more to feel safe.

They were going over the bubble teams and one of the guys brought up Nebraska and said compared to OU there was no way OU belonged in over Nebraska and he thought between the two we had a better shot to get in. 

It was interesting to listen to them to go over our resume. One guy thought OU would get in over us, the other thought we were a lock. I would classify both of them as "Pro OU" guys in general (both OU grads/fans/supporters).  Said it wasn't our fault we didn't get to play MSU/Purdue/OSU at home.  Mentioned the 1 point loss to KU.  Blowing out Michigan. Said our schedule didn't give us enough opportunities for our metrics to look favorable, but there's no way the committee was leaving out the 4th place team in the Big 10.  He finally got the other guy to come over to his side and admit that when push came to shove we'd probably get in.  One line he had was at the end of the day the committee has eyes and they'll use them.

They also had Gotleib call in just after their discussion and asked him to pick who had the better chance to get in.  He didn't give a flat out answer but made it sound like it would be hard to take OU the way they're playing over a team with 13 wins in the Big 10.

It sounded an awful lot the kind of discussion the committee would have.  They kept saying at the end of the day when a team has 22 wins (13 in conference) in a major conference they deserve to get in over teams that can't even go .500 in their own league.

1 minute ago, tjp21 said:

I live in OKC and listen to a lot of sports talk radio during the workday.  They just had a discussion about OU and their tournament resume.  Most people around here (even the biggest homers) don't think OU looks like a tourney team right now.  Some will argue the overall resume and metrics will get them in, some don't think they pass the eye test and are on the bubble and will need to right the ship and win a couple more to feel safe.

They were going over the bubble teams and one of the guys brought up Nebraska and said compared to OU there was no way OU belonged in over Nebraska and he thought between the two we had a better shot to get in. 

It was interesting to listen to them to go over our resume. One guy thought OU would get in over us, the other thought we were a lock. I would classify both of them as "Pro OU" guys in general (both OU grads/fans/supporters).  Said it wasn't our fault we didn't get to play MSU/Purdue/OSU at home.  Mentioned the 1 point loss to KU.  Blowing out Michigan. Said our schedule didn't give us enough opportunities for our metrics to look favorable, but there's no way the committee was leaving out the 4th place team in the Big 10.  He finally got the other guy to come over to his side and admit that when push came to shove we'd probably get in.  One line he had was at the end of the day the committee has eyes and they'll use them.

They also had Gotleib call in just after their discussion and asked him to pick who had the better chance to get in.  He didn't give a flat out answer but made it sound like it would be hard to take OU the way they're playing over a team with 13 wins in the Big 10.

It sounded an awful lot the kind of discussion the committee would have.  They kept saying at the end of the day when a team has 22 wins (13 in conference) in a major conference they deserve to get in over teams that can't even go .500 in their own league.

The thing about OU is, will anyone say "How did OU not get in?!" if they are left at home. I think everyone will know why OU isn't in. There will be teams with plenty to complain about if they are not in come selection Sunday, OU is not one of those teams. Going 3-10 in probably the most critical juncture of your season is the only reason the committee needs to give. 

8 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I see Palm has Alabama and Texas above us still. I can see Palm on selection sunday, he will be leading the "Texas, Alabama snubbed - Nebraska gets committee gift" charge. 

This clown doesn't even have us in the "Next 4 out".  How anyone listen's to him is beyond me?

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Palm has Rhode Island as a 5 seed and Michigan as a 6 seed - after RI's 30 point loss to St Joes. I swear this dude doesn't even watch the games.

I honestly don’t think many actually watch the games. You never hear specifics out of any of them. Just usually a broad brush about the conference a teams in.

At this point I see no way Texas, Syracuse, Providence, Oklahoma, Mississippi St., Alabama, UCLA, and Marquette can be taken ahead of us.  These Bracketotologist's can spin it any way they want too, but the teams I just listed are losing the ball games that they "needed" to win.  We won the ball games we "needed" to win.  That is the difference! If we beat Michigan we should be in and seeded ahead of any of the teams listed above.

Other teams

• Arizona St. = SOR is 55, IMO they should be in, but not ahead of Nebraska
  • USC = SOR is 56, IMO they should be in, but not ahead of Nebraska
  • Utah = Out BPI is 80, As much as Lunardi and Palm keep putting them ahead of us they are not even a threat right now
  • Washington = Out BPI is 108, As much as Lunardi and Palm keep putting them ahead of us they also are not even a threat right now
  • Missouri = Should be in around the same seed as Nebraska
  • Baylor = Play in Game if they beat Kansas State, Out if they lose
  • Kansas State = 11 Seed bye if they beat Baylor, Play in game if they lose
  • Texas A&M = Should be in with a similar seed to us
  • Georgia = Out... No chance without winning the tournament
  • LSU = Out... No chance without winning the tournament
  • Boise State = Needs to win their tournament to get in IMO
  • St. Bonaventure = They should be in, but seeing how the committee left out St. Mary's in 2016 with a 27-5 record, a BPI of 39, a RPI of 40 and SOR of 39 I don't see them getting in.

So with that list

Should be in

Missouri

Kansas State  

Texas A&M

Arizona State

USC

Might be in

St. Bonaventure

Boise State

Baylor

Oklahoma

Providence

Mississippi State

Should be out

Texas

Syracuse

Alabama

Marquette

UCLA

Out

LSU

Georgia

Utah

Washington

From Eric Bossi, today, at Rivals:

Finally there is Nebraska. I get it, the Huskers don't have very many impressive wins on their schedule. But, they did go 13-5 in the Big Ten and won 22 games. In my mind that should make them a lock for the NCAA Tournament over some of these teams I see projected to make the field with losing conference records. How far do Tim Miles and the Huskers have to make it to lock up a bid? Would the committee really leave out a team with that kind of record in a major conference?

1 minute ago, Swan88 said:

From Eric Bossi, today, at Rivals:

Finally there is Nebraska. I get it, the Huskers don't have very many impressive wins on their schedule. But, they did go 13-5 in the Big Ten and won 22 games. In my mind that should make them a lock for the NCAA Tournament over some of these teams I see projected to make the field with losing conference records. How far do Tim Miles and the Huskers have to make it to lock up a bid? Would the committee really leave out a team with that kind of record in a major conference?

Apparently, this guy thinks we need 2 wins (preferably Mich and Mich St) to even have a realistic chance. So disheartening. We may need to make the championship game to get in, hope I'm wrong!

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-basketball-bracketology-big-ten-tournament-ncaa-stewart-mandel

26 minutes ago, big red22 said:

At this point I see no way Texas, Syracuse, Providence, Oklahoma, Mississippi St., Alabama, UCLA, and Marquette can be taken ahead of us.  These Bracketotologist's can spin it any way they want too, but the teams I just listed are losing the ball games that they "needed" to win.  We won the ball games we "needed" to win.  That is the difference! If we beat Michigan we should be in and seeded ahead of any of the teams listed above.

Other teams

• Arizona St. = SOR is 55, IMO they should be in, but not ahead of Nebraska
  • USC = SOR is 56, IMO they should be in, but not ahead of Nebraska
  • Utah = Out BPI is 80, As much as Lunardi and Palm keep putting them ahead of us they are not even a threat right now
  • Washington = Out BPI is 108, As much as Lunardi and Palm keep putting them ahead of us they also are not even a threat right now
  • Missouri = Should be in around the same seed as Nebraska
  • Baylor = Play in Game if they beat Kansas State, Out if they lose
  • Kansas State = 11 Seed bye if they beat Baylor, Play in game if they lose
  • Texas A&M = Should be in with a similar seed to us
  • Georgia = Out... No chance without winning the tournament
  • LSU = Out... No chance without winning the tournament
  • Boise State = Needs to win their tournament to get in IMO
  • St. Bonaventure = They should be in, but seeing how the committee left out St. Mary's in 2016 with a 27-5 record, a BPI of 39, a RPI of 40 and SOR of 39 I don't see them getting in.

So with that list

Should be in

Missouri

Kansas State  

Texas A&M

Arizona State

USC

Might be in

St. Bonaventure

Boise State

Baylor

Oklahoma

Providence

Mississippi State

Should be out

Texas

Syracuse

Alabama

Marquette

UCLA

Out

LSU

Georgia

Utah

Washington

Oklahoma still being projected to make it just blows my mind. I get they have some Tier 1 wins, but the eye test has not been kind to them lately. They have looked atrocious the last 3 weeks!

Edited by Lifetimesker

6 minutes ago, Lifetimesker said:

Apparently, this guy thinks we need 2 wins (preferably Mich and Mich St) to even have a realistic chance. So disheartening. We may need to make the championship game to get in, hope I'm wrong!

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-basketball-bracketology-big-ten-tournament-ncaa-stewart-mandel

This guy is a tool.  Anyone thinking we need to make the championship game is wrong.  Flat out wrong.  Period.  I could see a case for having to beat Michigan.  I am on the fence that we already clinched the play in game with a loss to Michigan.  However, in no way will I ever be on the fence about having to make the championship.