Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

"If we're just going to talk metrics, then there is no need for a committee and there is no need for a committee member to watch the game."

"Metrics won't tell you what happened in a game."

"The reality is the difference between the 20th best team and the 60th best team is paper thin."

"A lot of times you figure out that your first thought isn't your best thought.  You rely too much on the metrics."

"We're not putting the best 68 teams in."

"We don't pay a lot of attention to that stuff(Joe Lunardi, Bracket Matrix).  The reality is that my wife probably selects the 68 teams just as good as Joe Lunardi.  Really we're talking about 5-8 teams in determining whether they are in or not."

"Big 10's a good example of that this year.  They didn't get a lot of opportunities to play Tournament caliber teams."

"The basketball coach in me evaluates teams on whether you get more shots or better shots.  I look at games more from a scouting perspective."

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

"If we're just going to talk metrics, then there is no need for a committee and there is no need for a committee member to watch the game."

"Metrics won't tell you what happened in a game."

"The reality is the difference between the 20th best team and the 60th best team is paper thin."

"A lot of times you figure out that your first thought isn't your best thought.  You rely too much on the metrics."

"We're not putting the best 68 teams in."

"We don't pay a lot of attention to that stuff(Joe Lunardi, Bracket Matrix).  The reality is that my wife probably selects the 68 teams just as good as Joe Lunardi.  Really we're talking about 5-8 teams in determining whether they are in or not."

"Big 10's a good example of that this year.  They didn't get a lot of opportunities to play Tournament caliber teams."

"The basketball coach in me evaluates teams on whether you get more shots or better shots.  I look at games more from a scouting perspective."

Hopefully he's not just pandering to the listeners with those quotes.  Because if he means them, then we should already be a lock.

4 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Hopefully he's not just pandering to the listeners with those quotes.  Because if he means them, then we should already be a lock.

Why would he?  The only thing he said that didn't sound great is that there is 10 people on that committee and they all have different ways of doing things.  If the other 9 are Joe Lunardi or Jerry Palm we are screwed!

27 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I will say he did say something to the effect that “Each member has their own way of looking at things and when they present something of note, it can change minds in the room about how things are viewed.”  

So let’s hope the eye ballers can change the metrics minds and not the other way around.

No wonder why we haven't gotten any respect this season! We've been performong well below and above expectations all season.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2018/2/26/17027128/big-ten-recap-power-rankings-big-ten-tournament-field-madison-square-garden-btt-championship

"The Big Ten regular season is over, and the seeds are set. Many teams surprised for different reasons, with Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Iowa performing well below expectations before the season, while Nebraska, Ohio State, and yes, Penn State, performed above expectations."

14 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

No wonder why we haven't gotten any respect this season! We've been performong well below and above expectations all season.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2018/2/26/17027128/big-ten-recap-power-rankings-big-ten-tournament-field-madison-square-garden-btt-championship

"The Big Ten regular season is over, and the seeds are set. Many teams surprised for different reasons, with Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Iowa performing well below expectations before the season, while Nebraska, Ohio State, and yes, Penn State, performed above expectations."

Now I see where Joe and Jerry get it.

After looking at the SOR and how it matches past brackets I have a feeling that the following list is going to be pretty accurate

Bolded Teams are Locks and we are one of them :) 

I will redo this after every SOR update

As of Today...

ACC - 9

Virginia (1 Seed)

North Carolina (2-3 Seed)

Duke(2-3 Seed)

Clemson(4-5 Seed)

Miami(6-7 Seed)

Virginia Tech(6-7 Seed)

NC State(8-9 Seed)

FSU(9-10 Seed)

Louisville(10-11 Seed)

Syracuse(Play in or Out) Needs 2 more good wins

Notre Dame(Out) Needs to win the ACC Tournament

Big 12 - 6

Kansas (2-3 Seed)

Texas Tech(4-5 Seed)

West Virginia(4-5 Seed

TCU(5-6 Seed)

Oklahoma(7-8 Seed)

Kansas State(7-8 Seed)

Texas(11-12 Seed) or (Out) Pending PAC 12 love by the committee

Baylor(11-12Seed) or (Out) Pending PAC 12 love by the committee

Big East - 5
Villanova (1-2 Seed)

Xavier (1-2 Seed)

Creighton(6-7 Seed)

Seton Hall(6-7 Seed)

Butler(8-9 Seed)

Providence(11-Out) Needs to win out and a win in the tournament

Marquette(11-Out) Needs to win out and a couple wins in the tournament

Big 10 - 5

Michigan State(1 Seed)

Purdue(2-3 Seed)

Ohio St(3-4 Seed)

Michigan(3-4 Seed)

Nebraska(9-10 Seed)

Maryland(Play in or Out) Needs to beat Wisconsin and Michigan State

Penn State(Out) Needs to win the Big 10 Tournament

SEC - 6

Tennessee(2-3 Seed)

Auburn(2-3 Seed)

Kentucky(4-5 Seed)

Arkansas(8-9 Seed)

Texas A&M(9-10 Seed)

Florida(10-11 Seed)

Mississippi State(11-Out) Needs a win in the tournament and Florida to lose

Missouri(Play in or Out) Needs to win 2 more

Alabama(Out) Needs to win 3 more games

Georgia(Out) No Chance without winning the SEC Tournament

LSU(Out) No Chance without winning the SEC Tournament

Pac 12 - 1

Arizona(5-6 Seed)

USC(11-Out) They are the second highest rated PAC 12 team according to SOR and that is Number 54.  Do they get Texas's spot because of the out cry PAC 12 will have?

Arizona State(11-Out) See USC, but do they get Baylor's?

UCLA(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

Utah(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

Washington(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

Oregon(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

I'm telling you right now the PAC 12 is gonna get f***ed!!!

46 minutes ago, big red22 said:

After looking at the SOR and how it matches past brackets I have a feeling that the following list is going to be pretty accurate

Bolded Teams are Locks and we are one of them :) 

I will redo this after every SOR update

As of Today...

ACC - 9

Virginia (1 Seed)

North Carolina (2-3 Seed)

Duke(2-3 Seed)

Clemson(4-5 Seed)

Miami(6-7 Seed)

Virginia Tech(6-7 Seed)

NC State(8-9 Seed)

FSU(9-10 Seed)

Louisville(10-11 Seed)

Syracuse(Play in or Out) Needs 2 more good wins

Notre Dame(Out) Needs to win the ACC Tournament

Big 12 - 6

Kansas (2-3 Seed)

Texas Tech(4-5 Seed)

West Virginia(4-5 Seed

TCU(5-6 Seed)

Oklahoma(7-8 Seed)

Kansas State(7-8 Seed)

Texas(11-12 Seed) or (Out) Pending PAC 12 love by the committee

Baylor(11-12Seed) or (Out) Pending PAC 12 love by the committee

Big East - 5
Villanova (1-2 Seed)

Xavier (1-2 Seed)

Creighton(6-7 Seed)

Seton Hall(6-7 Seed)

Butler(8-9 Seed)

Providence(11-Out) Needs to win out and a win in the tournament

Marquette(11-Out) Needs to win out and a couple wins in the tournament

Big 10 - 5

Michigan State(1 Seed)

Purdue(2-3 Seed)

Ohio St(3-4 Seed)

Michigan(3-4 Seed)

Nebraska(9-10 Seed)

Maryland(Play in or Out) Needs to beat Wisconsin and Michigan State

Penn State(Out) Needs to win the Big 10 Tournament

SEC - 6

Tennessee(2-3 Seed)

Auburn(2-3 Seed)

Kentucky(4-5 Seed)

Arkansas(8-9 Seed)

Texas A&M(9-10 Seed)

Florida(10-11 Seed)

Mississippi State(11-Out) Needs a win in the tournament and Florida to lose

Missouri(Play in or Out) Needs to win 2 more

Alabama(Out) Needs to win 3 more games

Georgia(Out) No Chance without winning the SEC Tournament

LSU(Out) No Chance without winning the SEC Tournament

Pac 12 - 1

Arizona(5-6 Seed)

USC(11-Out) They are the second highest rated PAC 12 team according to SOR and that is Number 54.  Do they get Texas's spot because of the out cry PAC 12 will have?

Arizona State(11-Out) See USC, but do they get Baylor's?

UCLA(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

Utah(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

Washington(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

Oregon(Out) Needs to win the PAC 12 Tournament

I'm telling you right now the PAC 12 is gonna get f***ed!!!

My Thoughts:

there is no way we are a 9 or 10 seed...  I wish it was true but just don't see it.  Beat Michigan and maybe I'd buy a 10 seed.

I Agree with how you have ACC and Big 12 although TCU seems a bit high.

Pac 12- I believe USC and Arizona st will get in. 

SEC I have no IDEA!!

11 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

My Thoughts:

there is no way we are a 9 or 10 seed...  I wish it was true but just don't see it.  Beat Michigan and maybe I'd buy a 10 seed.

I Agree with how you have ACC and Big 12 although TCU seems a bit high.

Pac 12- I believe USC and Arizona st will get in. 

SEC I have no IDEA!!

Like I said I'm I am just basing it off of history of the SOR.  Which has been damn near spot on with the committee for the last 5 years

7 hours ago, big red22 said:

I went down the list of conferences and here is how I see it at this point

( ) = Teams IMO we "should" be selected ahead of at the end of the regular season. Even if they win or lose the rest of their games 

AEC - 1

AAC - 1

A10 - 1(2) St. Bonaventure

ACC - 9(11) Syracuse, ND

Big 10 - 6(8) Texas, Baylor

Big East - 5(7) Providence, Marquette

Big Sky - 1

Big South - 1

Big 10 - 5

Big West - 1

CAA - 1

C-USA - 1(3) Western Kentucky, Old Dominion

Horizon - 1

IVY - 1

MAAC - 1

MAC - 1

MEAC - 1

MVC - 1

MWC  - 1(2) Boise State

NEC - 1

OVC - 1

PAC 12 - 2(7) UCLA, Oregon, Arizona St.(7-9), Washington, Utah

Patriot - 1

SEC - 6(11) Alabama, Missouri, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M

Southern - 

S

Summit - 1

Sun Belt - 1

WCC - 2

WAC - 1

9 of those teams have wins versus other Big 10 teams. Not sure what 4 or 5 wins in those 9 games would mean right now.

5 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

No. All of those metrics take the quality of the opponent into account.

What do you do for fun, go around to grade schools and tell kindergartners that Santa is a hoax?

I am saying most of the teams on that list that got left off are mid majors at best, which we are not so it is not apples to apples. Lets make a deal I will not respond to you and you do likewise? You should also listen to Bruce today, said at one point his wife can pick better than Lunardi and his ilk.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

What do you do for fun, go around to grade schools and tell kindergartners that Santa is a hoax?

I am saying most of the teams on that list that got left off are mid majors at best, which we are not so it is not apples to apples. Lets make a deal I will not respond to you and you do likewise? You should also listen to Bruce today, said at one point his wife can pick better than Lunardi and his ilk.

WAIT THERE IS NOOOOO SANTA?

2 minutes ago, northwillriseagain said:

Lunardi moves Oklahoma from an 8 to a 10 seed. Also moved Alabama to a 10. Really Showed them that losing is bad! :blink: 

Literally read this on yahoos bracketolotgy.

BIG12 17-13 60 17 5-8 Pulverized by Kansas without Mo Bamba. Ignore losses. Focus on Ws.

Wins don't matter, losses don't matter - literally focus on quality wins. If you are 10-18 but have 10 tier one wins, you're a good team in these peoples minds.

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Literally read this on yahoos bracketolotgy.

BIG12 17-13 60 17 5-8 Pulverized by Kansas without Mo Bamba. Ignore losses. Focus on Ws.

Wins don't matter, losses don't matter - literally focus on quality wins. If you are 10-18 but have 10 tier one wins, you're a good team in these peoples minds.

That’s how’s I’m seeing it.

Lunardi didn’t drop Texas at all either btw.

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Also as a former athlete/coach "Ignore Losses" is literally the most cringeworthy thing I have ever read when discussing sports. Don't freaking ignore losses.

To me, losses are what you need to focus on. A good team won’t have many, or many rough ones. Bad teams will be inconsistent.

the whole not judging how a team finishes is stupid too, some teams, like Nebraska, had no chemistry until they had a bunch of games under their belt. 

I hate the selective reasoning that they always use to use to push agendas for the teams they want in.

And balance this out by what I have heard television announcers state this year (and one of them was HOF Bill Walton) 1. the Pac 12 deserves to get 10 teams in this year. The most competitive games in America are played in that league 2. There is no such thing as a bottom 5 teams in the Big 12 this year. They all deserve the same consideration for the NCAA bids... I realize that pot is legal on the west coast now, but I wasn't aware the trend had reached the Midwest yet.

Izzo seems to think that we're already in. He's basing that off of a combination of analytics and the eye test. Or he wants to make their 27  point win look more impressive... either way, the more recognition, the better!

“Everybody’s into the analytics. I’m into the eye test. There’s probably a happy medium. But in my eye test I think Nebraska is definitely an NCAA Tournament team, with that kind of record and those kind of numbers,” Izzo told reporters. “Even the analytics does that – the strength of schedule thing can get skewed by so many different ways. But yeah, I think there’s no question that Nebraska is (in).”

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/tom-izzo-nebraska-basketball-ncaa-tournament-resume-bracketology

Edited by Ben Zobrist

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Put St. John's in the tourney.