Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

19 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Some folks on here that are on the more pessimistic side are forgetting two very important things.  Minny game is a quadrant 1 win.  Bruce said as much.  And even more important is intent of schedule.  The intent of the schedule leaves us with a very good schedule.  

Bruce actually said that? That's great.

31 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Also remember that this was not the quadrant system that many coaches wanted.  The quadrant system that they wanted was an average of all the major metrics (BPI, KPI, KenPom, SOR, SOS, and RPI).

Decent point here. The committee sheets place these into a pair of 3-metric averages. RPI, KPI and SOR are together: Nebraska is 53. The other three BPI, KenPom, Sagarin: 61. Also the sheet shows the overall average of both.

There's still a lot of variables in play.  I personally am going to try to wait until after the B1G Tourney before I put too much weight into our chances of getting in.  For me the speculation has devolved from something that was fun to chat about into something that makes me anxious and angry.  

4 minutes ago, hhctony said:

Decent point here. The committee sheets place these into a pair of 3-metric averages. RPI, KPI and SOR are together: Nebraska is 53. The other three BPI, KenPom, Sagarin: 61. Also the sheet shows the overall average of both.

We would be in the 30's or low 40's without Marist, Delaware St., Stetson and Eastern Illinois in the equation.  Then add in Minnesota being a Quad 1 win, guess what we're sitting right by the 6-8 seeds at that point.  The data sheets royally screwed us this year, and I think Bruce knows it!

You know the crazy thing, that might contribute to the argument about why the RPI is nonsense, is that on Dec. 5, the day we played them (so not factoring in their loss to us), Minnesota was actually #43 RPI...when they were a top-15 team in the country. Technically, that would still only be a Quad 2 win if they factored the RPI at the time the game was played.

The one that drives me batty is Northwestern. On the day that game was played, they were #75 RPI, which makes THAT one a Quad 1 win under the same parameters. But a., clearly that win is not the same as beating Minnesota (even at home), and b., Northwestern has also tanked but no one really talks about that. But if we're hoping the committee gives us extra credit for Minnesota, we could make a case for getting a little extra love for Northwestern too.

The question that I have is how much do these bracket wonks take into consideration the eye test? There's way too many games for them to watch all the games. The computers don't put the Huskers in a favorable light, there's no real getting around that. They can certainly help themselves here over the weekend. But Ras has said over, and over, and over, and over and over again that the eye test will factor in. We don't know to what degree, but it will be considered. If that's true, that it's a blend of both, then I have to think NU's in better shape than most twitter pundits are spouting, because the eye test, NU passes that with flying colors. Win a couple games in New York, though, please. The stress is gonna be unbearable otherwise...

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Some folks on here that are on the more pessimistic side are forgetting two very important things.  Minny game is a quadrant 1 win.  Bruce said as much.  And even more important is intent of schedule.  The intent of the schedule leaves us with a very good schedule.  

One other thing that I believe plays into our intent of schedule is that the condensed Big Ten schedule that made us play Boston College, Michigan State, the good Minnesota, Creighton, and Kansas in basically a 2 week span made things difficult. 1) It took away a chunk of open dates to add to the difficulty of non-conference scheduling and 2) the toughness of that stretch increased the risk of scheduling another juggernaut making it almost suicidal. We simply could not take the risk, especially with other factors involved including the coach and his standing. This is all separate from the fact that we just got completely screwed when it came to the ability of some of our lesser foes to actually play basketball and the perception of the Big Ten this year 

Just now, HuskerActuary said:

Not a very encouraging update. Among the brackets updated today, we are in 5 out of 55 brackets, or 9%. Very little chance we are in with a loss on Friday unless Bruce throws us a bone.

Meh... I take these brackets with a grain of salt.  They are very widely scattered, they are very conference oriented at times, and they are very biased at times.  I'll defer to the people that actually make the bracket.

I'm more encouraged with the committee and what Bruce has previously said than I am with BM.  That's good news because BM doesn't matter one tid bit in the end.

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

Not a very encouraging update. Among the brackets updated today, we are in 5 out of 55 brackets, or 9%. Very little chance we are in with a loss on Friday unless Bruce throws us a bone.

Most all those are metrics based which is not the only piece of the equation. If we are getting in it will be because of the committee members actually using the eyeball test and understanding the Big10 is not the worst conference in the history of college basketball.

26 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The first one is irrelevant, but funny tweet.  The next two need to be PINNED ON THE COMMITTEE'S WALL!!!

They are so telling.  Hey Ken Pomeroy if the Big 10 sucks so bad.  Why is it that when the meat of Conference season started the Big 10 was good enough that we would go 7-11.  Then here we sit at 6 games better then you thought, and now the Big 10 is complete crap??? Seriously "F" you and both those other A$$ clowns too... Lunardi and Rosie's husband!

Edited by big red22

45 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

my question is do they look at number of games played that count towards RPi...if one team is 23-10 and another is 18-13...Shouldn't they compare only 31 games and throw out the 2 lowest games (IE one team scheduled Division 1 schools while another chose to schedule D2 exibitions games.

No, they don't look at this today. It's on the school to schedule more intelligently when it comes to the RPI. And it's a crime when schools don't do it right.... like Nebraska this year (before I get all of the replies, I'm only talking non-conference, I know the Big Ten conference schedule is being unfairly devalued by the RPI, etc etc)

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Meh... I take these brackets with a grain of salt.  They are very widely scattered, they are very conference oriented at times, and they are very biased at times.  I'll defer to the people that actually make the bracket.

Right, but for all of the reasons you say, we should also be on the good end of some of those. And we're not.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Most all those are metrics based which is not the only piece of the equation. If we are getting in it will be because of the committee members actually using the eyeball test and understanding the Big10 is not the worst conference in the history of college basketball.

Bracket Matrix is in the top 10% of predicted brackets using the last five years (link). And the guy who is #1 still has us as the sixth team out, updated as of this morning. These aren't just a bunch of yahoos throwing darts (well, a few are)... but the results of past predictions are right there in the link.

2 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Bracket Matrix is in the top 10% of predicted brackets using the last five years (link). And the guy who is #1 still has us as the sixth team out, updated as of this morning. These aren't just a bunch of yahoos throwing darts (well, a few are)... but the results of past predictions are right there in the link.

I glanced at it and it looks like they're coming up with some sort of composite score and the lowest variance wins. Does this have more weight on picking the most accurate seeding? Or predicting the field of 68?

Only reason it matters for us this year is I'd rather have a more accurate forecast for the field of 68.