Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

I don't know how I didn't see this before, but Washington is currently on Bracket Matrix as an 11 seed. Here are their predictive metrics that will show up on their team sheet:

BPI: #127

KenPom: #103

Sagarin: #98

WOW. They have had some huge blowout losses and close wins resulting their RPI, W/L record, etc appear good enough for a bubble team.

7 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Not a chance in hell Texas would be able to win all the games we have during this streak.  

I agree. I know they have some good wins, but man....it is freaking hard to justify a team with a .384 conf winning percentage and a worse RPI over us. Even if you are in a tough league, at the very least a .500 win pct should be cutoff. 

Assuming Nebrasketball is clean, the Committee might want to make sure we get in.  Here’s why.

The FBI thing is getting scary for the entirety of College Basketball—up to 50 teams could be affected!!!
Here are excerpts from this week’s Yahoo article that created the stir:

what’s becoming increasingly clear . . . is that the breadth of potential NCAA rules violations uncovered is wide enough to fundamentally and indelibly alter the sport of college basketball.

The soundtrack . . . is essentially a ticking time bomb, which will inevitably explode. It will impact every major conference, Hall of Fame coaches, a score of current top players and some of the nation’s most distinguished and respected programs.

“When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances. . . . The most fascinating and tricky variable here is time.

Assuming Nebrasketball is clean (this seems like a reasonable assumption so far), Tim Miles & Co. have probably achieved this year the greatest level of job security imaginable.  
Look at it this way: they’ve managed to create a Tournament-level team, while playing by-the-book, in competition with 50 programs who aren’t. That’s a huge achievement and worthy of great celebration and reward! Heck, that’s worthy of the same reward-level as at least a Sweet 16 or even a Final Four appearance.
If the scandal plays out anywhere near what the Yahoo article describes, and if Nebrasketball is clean under Miles & Co., the future is very bright for Nebrasketball.
If, on the other hand, we aren’t clean, . . .

23 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

This all sounds really good for Nebrasketball.

"We also need to talk about losses. While we refer to 1st and 2nd quadrant wins, we also need to refer to losses (or lack of losses) in the 3rd and 4th quadrants. Winning the games you are supposed to win is more difficult in a 30+ game schedule than some might think."

"In Nebraska's case specifically, the committee will also discuss the first Minnesota game where Minnesota was closer to full strength, and the fact that Nebraska played Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State only on the road. "

"I would say that Nebraska's non-conference schedule was more challenging to Nebraska than Michigan State's was to Michigan State, even though Michigan State played Duke, North Carolina, UConn and Notre Dame a two-week period). "

59 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Well, yeah...that's just, like...his *opinion* man!

55 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Good insight into the process

To me the biggest takeaway was this

image.png

At this point we're just concerned about making the tournament as opposed to seeding.

If you look at the bracketology results there are often times that a team isn't picked to make the tournament by most but is selected by the committee (sometimes it's none....sometimes it's 2)

Thus, I would put a lot of weight into the number of people picking us to be in the tournament (after our regular season is over) but know that if it's questionable that we might get in despite the projections or might miss despite the projections. Clear as mud?

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

This all sounds really good for Nebrasketball.

Wouldn’t put much stock in any team-specific comments.  Acknowledging legitimate arguments a team might have is good information management: if a team is left out, they need to know that all factors in their favor were duly considered.

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Assuming Nebrasketball is clean, the Committee might want to make sure we get in.  Here’s why.

The FBI thing is getting scary for the entirety of College Basketball—up to 50 teams could be affected!!!
Here are excerpts from this week’s Yahoo article that created the stir:

what’s becoming increasingly clear . . . is that the breadth of potential NCAA rules violations uncovered is wide enough to fundamentally and indelibly alter the sport of college basketball.

The soundtrack . . . is essentially a ticking time bomb, which will inevitably explode. It will impact every major conference, Hall of Fame coaches, a score of current top players and some of the nation’s most distinguished and respected programs.

“When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances. . . . The most fascinating and tricky variable here is time.

Just a little more than what I posted on page 26 of this thread. Close to 50 programs getting in trouble would make the NCAA tourney look like the NIT and CBI combined.

19 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Why would you cheer for that?

Yeah, certainly not something to be celebrated. I will say however that it does impact my perception one way or another.

If they are involved in cheating then it's easy for me to write off that program. But it also goes against the high standards and pride I have about Nebraskan's ethical code.

And if it comes out that they don't cheat...man oh man. You've got to respect what they've been able to do with that program.

15 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

And if it comes out that they don't cheat...man oh man. You've got to respect what they've been able to do with that program.

Ha!  Jay on a Husker Board.  Many on this board don’t share your gushing.

But as long as we’re doing hypotheticals, your school was thoroughly in bed with a guy charged by the FBI with felony misbehavior and total disregard for rules.  So, we all might all keep our powder dry for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Ha!  Jay on a Husker Board.  Many on this board don’t share your gushing.

But as long as we’re doing hypotheticals, your school was thoroughly in bed with a guy charged by the FBI with felony misbehavior and total disregard for rules.  So, we all might all keep our powder dry for awhile.

Fever isn't a Jay fan.

6 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Very good to read. Really makes the metrics only guys on here take a second look. Non con SOS is not really a factor, they look at each game individually, No bad losses is a big factor, etc. 3 more wins, just get them somehow.

Edited by Art Vandalay