Ohio State

nuhusker7

Ohio State won Saturday at Madison Square Garden, beating (a declining) Minnesota 67-49.

Like Tim says, that should be good news for us. Ohio State won't be overlooking us, but they won't be smarting coming off a loss either. They are already well-positioned for going dancing and therefore have less to play for than we do: i.e. a loss to (a rising) Nebraska will not hurt their prospects nearly as much as a Win would enhance our outlook.

Edited by Red Don

I am watching these football games today, but I am thinking about tomorrow night. I think our 1-3-1 can frustrate them for many of the reasons it frustrated Michigan, but I watched their game yesterday and they seem to rely a lot on interior and inside to outside passing that I think our normal doubling on their big men can take away or at least make more difficult. Rebounding is going to be a chore either way. I do think we can keep their scoring in check enough to have more than a decent chance. What we can’t do is let any sort of run they make take us out of it mentally, because they will probably find a way to put together decent strings of production.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

I am watching these football games today, but I am thinking about tomorrow night. I think our 1-3-1 can frustrate them for many of the reasons it frustrated Michigan, but I watched their game yesterday and they seem to rely a lot on interior and inside to outside passing that I think our normal doubling on their big men can take away or at least make more difficult. Rebounding is going to be a chore either way. I do think we can keep their scoring in check enough to have more than a decent chance. What we can’t do is let any sort of run they make take us out of it mentally, because they will probably find a way to put together decent strings of production.

I don't remember us playing any zone against Michigan???  I thought we manned up all night.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

We didn't need to do anything else.  That was the beauty of that game.

I swore I remembered I us mixing it in occasionally and it leading to a couple miss matches and forced shots late in the shot clock.  Maybe it was just good switching on screens that led to the mismatches.  Either way, I think our ability to disrupt timing in this game can be effective as it was against Michigan, just need to disrupt on the inside maybe more so than on the perimeter the way they work inside to out at times.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

I swore I remembered I us mixing it in occasionally and it leading to a couple miss matches and forced shots late in the shot clock.  Maybe it was just good switching on screens that led to the mismatches.  Either way, I think our ability to disrupt timing in this game can be effective as it was against Michigan, just need to disrupt on the inside maybe more so than on the perimeter the way they work inside to out at times.

If I remember correctly we came out in the 1-3-1 a couple of times out of timeouts or dead balls - but just played it for one possession and then went back to man.

They haven't played anyone to a close game at home where they've won them all except for the time that Clemson came in and throttled them.

They're a get back on defense after a team when the shot goes up so they seem unlikely to try and exploit our rebounding issues unless they're down. The caveat is that you need to get a body on whomever is playing center.

19 hours ago, Red Don said:

Ohio State won Saturday at Madison Square Garden, beating (a declining) Minnesota 67-49.

Like Tim says, that should be good news for us. Ohio State won't be overlooking us, but they won't be smarting coming off a loss either. They are already well-positioned for going dancing and therefore have less to play for than we do: i.e. a loss to (a rising) Nebraska will not hurt their prospects nearly as much as a Win would enhance our outlook.

Less to play for?  They have more to play for than Nebraska.  They are playing for a conference championship!

13 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

Less to play for?  They have more to play for than Nebraska.  They are playing for a conference championship!

Hell, at this point I think they can reasonably say they have a 1 seed to play for!  KenPom gives them a 2.3% shot at finishing the season unbeaten in the B1G (which is huge at this point) and if they do that plus run to the tournament final I think they're pretty solidly on the 1 line.  That, my friends, is PLENTY of motivation for them:

Mon Jan 22   67 Nebraska W, 75-63 67 86% Home   ×  
Thu Jan 25   63 Penn St. W, 76-64 69 85% Home   ×  
Tue Jan 30   97 Indiana W, 77-63 66 90% Home   ×  
Sun Feb 4   105 Illinois W, 79-64 70 92% Home   ×  
Wed Feb 7   2 Purdue L, 76-66 67 19% Away   × a.gif
Sat Feb 10   101 Iowa W, 84-69 69 92% Home   ×  
Thu Feb 15   63 Penn St. W, 72-68 69 66% Away   × a.gif
Sun Feb 18   27 Michigan L, 66-65 63 49% Away   × a.gif
Tue Feb 20   117 Rutgers W, 72-56 66 92% Home   ×  
Fri Feb 23   97 Indiana W, 73-66 66 75% Away   × b.gif
Projected record: 24-7 15-3  
Chance of unbeaten record:   2.3%

Win all the games they should win (and their "should win games" are basically layups for them at this point) and pull off a big upset at Purdue and win a coin-flip at Michigan and they're there.

Edited by 49r

On 1/19/2018 at 2:07 PM, 49r said:

How much of an advantage/disadvantage will it be for us to have coach Lewis on the bench for this one?  Gotta be worth something, right?

Miles noted he has the scout on this one.  I think defensively we can hold them in check.  Can the L.E.W.I.S. system provide enough offensive power?

51 minutes ago, 49r said:

Hell, at this point I think they can reasonably say they have a 1 seed to play for!  KenPom gives them a 2.3% shot at finishing the season unbeaten in the B1G (which is huge at this point) and if they do that plus run to the tournament final I think they're pretty solidly on the 1 line.  That, my friends, is PLENTY of motivation for them:

Win all the games they should win (and their "should win games" are basically layups for them at this point) and pull off a big upset at Purdue and win a coin-flip at Michigan and they're there.

Spot on and very true but the reality is that OSU's chances of going undefeated in the BIG will be exactly 0% in roughly 10 and a half hours.  So, to hell with KenPom's prediction!

1 hour ago, 49r said:

They could realistically go 16-2 in the conference and go into the conference tournament only having 2 wins vs. teams that will be in the NCAA's (Michigan and Michigan State), assuming that they lose at Purdue and Michigan and that Nebraska and Maryland end up on the wrong side of the bubble.