uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 21, Michigan

hhcmatt

To-do list

• Beat all B1G teams at least once
  • Signature Win
  • Make NCAA Tournament
  • Win NCAA Tournament Game(s)

I thought after killing Michigan St that Michigan had gotten their bad game out of their system vs. Maryland. However, the Wolverines mostly looked like they didn't want to be there with only Charles Matthews aggressively getting to the rim.  Michigan started to get some momentum to start the second half but Roby's steal on a lazy inbound pass put Nebraska back on track and we never looked back.

On to the hits

• James "Max Efficiency" Palmer with 19 points on 8 shots!  He really closed things out at the end as he had more FT attempts than all of Michigan, constantly driving to the hoop
  • Watson not doing much shooting but basically kept the ship steady as was part of the reason we finished with only 9 turnovers
  • Roby with yet another good game against Michigan and with Copeland was part of the  stifling defense on a uninterested Wagner.
  • Copeland with some big tough buckets to start the game tonight and was very aggressive starting down low with his back to the basket
  • Gill finally got some baskets at the rim and hit key 3 point shots, making 2 of our 5
  • Allen with an off night and got pulled at one point for a careless turnovers. The life of a freshman
  • Duby came in and immediately draws a foul. Had a nice block but overall his 2 minutes were a wash
  • Jordy with a huge round of applause and a nice assist to Roby for a dunk right off the bat. He was solid but obviously this was a team we wanted to go small against.

2 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

still a long ways to go, but i think this win gives us a realistic path to the tourney.

6-4 plus a B1G tourney win would probably get us in. that seems doable

I think you break it down a bit farther.  4 of the next 5 are on the road.  Go 3-2 in that stretch and then we're talking!  We only have 1 true road win this year, that number has to rise to be considered.

14 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

One of the BTN guys said that Nebraska came out and punched Michigan in the mouth.  I think what he meant to say is that we punched them in the mouth, curb stomped them, kneed them in the ribs, and then kicked them in the balls for good measure!

Some times I should be allowed more than one up vote

Defense won this game and there is merit to Michigan being tired and flat.  Offensively, we had more movement and hard cuts, slip screens etc. than any other game.  Doubtful that we can produce the same energy against Ohio St in Columbus.  We can execute and defend and if so can be in the game.

3 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

The most satisfying thing I will take from this win is that this was no fluke.  We were legitimately better.  Lets string these performances together consistently please.

I really think our Huskers now believe they're good enough to beat good teams. It did take a few heartbreaking losses in December & a nice close W over the Illini for them to figure out that they can, in fact, get-r done !!!

4 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

The most satisfying thing I will take from this win is that this was no fluke.  We were legitimately better.  Lets string these performances together consistently please.

The only other thing to add... once we had a lead, we didn't let up and let the lead slip away from us. We went into the locker room at half with an 11 point lead and then won every five minute segment for the rest of the game!

21 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

still a long ways to go, but i think this win gives us a realistic path to the tourney.

6-4 plus a B1G tourney win would probably get us in. that seems doable

at the very least, just some great positive signs for our program! I don't even care if we make the tourney, my standards aren't there yet. Just have to put up a fight, get a lot of W's, and stay respectable. So that teams start to have to give it a second thought and we don't get stomped by Creighton every year. Baby steps!

But I like where your head's at!

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The only other thing to add... once we had a lead, we didn't let up and let the lead slip away from us. We went into the locker room at half with an 11 point lead and then won every five minute segment for the rest of the game!

It did tighten for a little bit at 33-25, but Nebraska re-focused & extended its lead. Michigan really never threatened after Evan Taylor ripped the hearts outta the Wolverines !!!! I loved it.