Potential Transfer Rule changes

hhcmatt

The increased turnover in coaching is fueling this move. I have heard arguments the current rules punish kids who sign with schools because of their relationship with the coach and not desire to play for the school. Think of a guy like Nate Swift who committed to Frank Solich, but then played in completely different schemes with Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini. At least 2 classes at UCF and Oregon will have had 3 head coaches by the time they graduate. I guarantee the kids who signed with FSU and Oklahoma last year truly believed Jimbo Fisher and Bob Stoops would be coaching them after their redshirt years. Heck, Willie Taggart left Western Kentucky 5 years ago and made stops at South Florida and Oregon before ending at FSU. The Western Kentucky 2013 signing class were recruited by Willie Taggart; signed and redshirted under Bobby Petrino; played for 3 years under Jeff Brohm; and played their senior years under Mike Stanford.  There is too much coaching turnover, and the kids are punished. 

It stands to reason that when a coach leaves, for whatever reason, the kid should be able to transfer without penalty. I am not sure about the current proposal though. 

4 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i don't see this affecting us that much good or bad. imagine if white had been eligible from day 1 with petteway shields and pitchford. that year could have been much different.

Maybe but in the proposed system it's also far less likely we land White in the first place. 

Not only would this open up options for players to move more it would allow certain programs more flexibility to "make room" when a guy like White does hit the market. 

Edited by Blackshirt83

I hate to admit it, but I think if we go this route, we need to give the schools some of the power back to balance things out.

I think kids should be able to lose their scholarships (especially now since it would make finding a new home easier) for lack of production.  Just as kids on academic scholarships need to keep their grades up or risk losing the money, athletes should be held to the same standard with their scholly.  You don't produce, you risk losing the 'ship.

As a fan I don't like this.  Part of the reason that I love college athletics but barely follow most professional sports is the roster stability.  Now that may sound odd at first glance, because at best a kid is only going to play for your team for 4 years.  But, historically speaking, you have been reasonably assured that when you root for a kid on your roster you know you will never have to watch him suit up for a rival team.  He's yours.  And even though he'll only be on your team for four years, he will forever be associated with your team only.  Ty Lue played for 142 NBA teams, but has only one alma mater.  He is forever a Husker.  The uptick in transfers over the last decade has changed this somewhat (cough, AWIII, cough), but generally speaking the principle holds.

As a parent I don't like this either.  If by chance one of my kids were to earn an athletic scholarship when they eventually get to college, I don't want it to be easier for them to transfer.  Transferring makes it harder to graduate in four years (or at all), and ultimately I want my kids' priority to be getting a degree.  What I love about the grad transfer rule, despite my hesitancy as a fan, is that it rewards the kids who have prioritized both their academics (by graduating on time) and team (by being willing to redshirt) first.  Those kids have absolutely earned the right to go wherever they can get accepted to.  What I don't want to see is more kids that transfer for athletic reasons and leave school with no degree.  The NCAA should be looking at ways to reduce transfers, not increase them.

If there's a change that requires savvy recruiting adjustments and a dogfight for talent, I like having Miles in our corner, especially because he now has a truly bonafide record for changing the career trajectories of transfers and giving them a B1G stage (Petteway, Pitchford, Palmer, Copeland, AWIII, Gill, Taylor).  

Edited by LK1

Most are looking at this as us fearing players will leave, but we've had a hell of a lot more positive growth due to transfers coming IN than the minimal damage caused by the ones leaving.  I mean, Jacobson and Morrow left, and the players on the court are a net gain largely because of Palmer and Copeland.  Palmer and Copeland, as a pair, are way more valuable.  

AWIII hurt a lot though, but he was a transfer to begin with and helped a lot when he was here, so I don't know what to call him.  

Edited by LK1

Just now, brfrad said:

How many players like Petteway, White, Palmer, etc. benefited from their RS years?  Maybe Terran wastes a year by avg. 5 PPG, his sophomore year instead of being an all big 10 player.

Just because players could transfer without sitting out doesn't mean they couldn't still take a redshirt year.

7 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

True, but I can tell you guys like Walter, Palmer, white, and Petteway aren't coming here if they are going to redshirt anyways

That's probably true, but guys like Nana and Thor (I know, wrong thread), can still redshirt.

Just now, hskr4life said:

I think the redshirt would become non-existent.  If you're not getting PT, you are just going to transfer to somewhere where you will and get to play right away.  I think we see far less commitments to teams, and redshirts if this happens.

This is probably also true.