Potential Transfer Rule changes

hhcmatt

There’s already a transfer epidemic as it is.  Why do we want more?  How is a team supposed to create any success with this rule?  Players who turn out to be really good will leave for greener pastures.

I don’t like it.  I like the way it is with redshirting.  Really interesting if this all plays out.  You will have some teams having to completely rebuild from scratch some years.

22 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Assuming this happens the real question is: Does this help or hurt Nebrasketball?

It would make it extremely difficult to rely on recruiting four year players, at all, unless it's someone who is a local recruit or has a family connection to the school.  If someone doesn't play much as a freshman, they will be even more likely to transfer to a lesser conference.  If you do find a diamond in the rough who comes in and is surprisingly good, he'll be way more likely to transfer to a place that's in the tournament most years.  We haven't had much success with four year players as it is.

Also, if you do make a coaching change, you'd better make sure the new guy knows what he's doing right off the bat or you might be filling your roster the first year with walkons and football players.

I think it would hurt us more than help us...

Imagine if in April, Watson 'hears' that Kansas could really use a point guard so he bolts-- than after Villanova loses three early guys to the draft, Roby decides to go play there. Palmer says F it and bolts to USC and Copeland decides were going to suck so he goes back to NC State....

3 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

I think it would hurt us more than help us...

Imagine if in April, Watson 'hears' that Kansas could really use a point guard so he bolts-- than after Villanova loses three early guys to the draft, Roby decides to go play there. Palmer says F it and bolts to USC and Copeland decides were going to suck so he goes back to NC State....

I think the proposed rule still requires a redshirt year if a guy transfers a second time, unless he graduates.  So in the scenario you give Palmer and Copeland would have to graduate first.  But, those are the types of things that will happen.  This rule sure as hell won't hurt a team that's already at the top - if they have an unforeseen opening on their roster this gives them quite the pool of free agents to fill the void.

I don't like to bring football into the mix during basketball season, but it makes for a good example this year.

Think of UCF, whose head coach just left. That program could go from a 13-0 team to a team with no returning coaching staff AND players who leave a sinking ship to other programs within seconds. That's not fair for the university. And that's far more flexibility than the NFL (or NBA) even had for its players!

I think it is an opportunity to greatly help Nebraska. This evens the playing field for the bottom half of the power 5 conferences. Basically, the team with the best Athletic Director and General Manager of the basketball/football program will be successful. Finding holes in the market, under-valued players, etc... 

This could effectively kill mid-major basketball, however. 

Just now, basketballjones said:

I think it is an opportunity to greatly help Nebraska. This evens the playing field for the bottom half of the power 5 conferences. Basically, the team with the best Athletic Director and General Manager of the basketball/football program will be successful. Finding holes in the market, under-valued players, etc... 

This could would effectively kill mid-major basketball, however. 

FIFY

Mike Daum wouldn't be at SDSU, and all of these diamond in the rough players would be at Power 5 programs to get their "exposure."

Just now, hskr4life said:

FIFY

Mike Daum wouldn't be at SDSU, and all of these diamond in the rough players would be at Power 5 programs to get their "exposure."

I mean the good program runners would still be able to find inefficiencies in the market, and get the guys who bounce out of the major programs for academic/behavioral issues. And you never know, some dude who bounced out of UNC that fell to Nebraska, might fall again - but all the talent is still there and just needed the right fit? 

Just now, basketballjones said:

I mean the good program runners would still be able to find inefficiencies in the market, and get the guys who bounce out of the major programs for academic/behavioral issues. And you never know, some dude who bounced out of UNC that fell to Nebraska, might fall again - but all the talent is still there and just needed the right fit? 

True.  I mean programs like Wichita State I think would still be high profile enough for most players.  But those hoping to establish anything long term like WSU has done would have a much more difficult, if not impossible, time doing it.

26 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'd mostly agree with this with the caveat that since we never seem to start out quickly and always have to figure it out as we go along it would just add another level of chaos.

This is something that Rick Telander posited in his book "The  Hundred Yard Lie" back in  1989:

Let's just end the charade that major-college football and men's basketball at the top 100 universities has anything to do with academics. Make the NFL and NBA pay for the development of these players, and give the players vouchers to attend school now or after their playing careers are done. You can still have a team called the "Nebraska Cornhuskers" playing at PBA or Memorial Stadium, but the players aren't necessarily students at the local university. They're apprentices learning how to play professional basketball or football, earning a stipend ($50,000 per year?) to do so, and moving up to the big time (or moving back to the real world/school with the rest of us) when they prove ready. True "college" football and basketball would be played at what are now the mid-majors, FCS and lower-division schools.

Edited by jayschool

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

This is something that Rick Telander posited in his book "The  Hundred Yard Lie" back in  1989:

Let's just end the charade that major-college football and men's basketball at the top 100 universities has anything to do with academics. Make the NFL and NBA pay for the development of these players, and give the players vouchers to attend school now or after their playing careers are done. You can still have a team called the "Nebraska Cornhuskers" playing at PBA or Memorial Stadium, but the players aren't necessarily students at the local university. They're apprentices learning how to play professional basketball or football, earning a stipend ($50,000 per year?) to do so, and moving up to the big time (or moving back to the real world/school with the rest of us) when they prove ready. True "college" football and basketball would be played at what are now the mid-majors, FCS and lower-division schools.

He knew about PBA all the way back in 1989?

Impressive!!!

;)

All jokes aside, is he proposing that the NFL take over major college football, or is he simply saying the NFL should pay for it?

Edited by atskooc

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

He knew about PBA all the way back in 1989?

Impressive!!!

;)

All jokes aside, is he proposing that the NFL take over major college football, or is he simply saying the NFL should pay for it?

Both. I've paraphrased, of course, and added modern references as well as the idea that basketball could adopt the same plan. The idea was to just get rid of the hypocrisy and call major college football what it is: a developmental league for the big boys. If we're going to go the way of free agency, then why not? The NFL could pay, but also would then have some say in how players are allotted and placed. The voucher could be good anywhere within that system of major universities.

Edited by jayschool

Hey, look! It's an awesome fire! Anyone got any gasoline? 

I can't imagine this change would get a lot of institutional support. Or maybe it will. It acknowledges that many of these kids will jump ship at the first sign of resistance, and if it's going to happen anyway, maybe that at least stops wasting a year or two in between stints and just gives in to the inevitable. 

I'm with the grumpy old man contingent here: transfers have to be made harder.  We're not doing any of these athletes a service by making it so that decisions on commitments are so....optional. It's like sports are becoming a video game where if you don't like how you just played, you reload a save and try it again. Repeatedly.