uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 20, Illinois

Norm Peterson

9 hours ago, HB said:

Just an absolutely pathetic call on the Illini 3 pointer.  So weak.  Conference is a joke.  Heads should roll for weak ass shit like that. Didn't matter, but you can't make that call.  He misses it and that guy gets 3 free throws in our gym.  I am flat out fed up.  

Agree and I thought the TV guys were a joke about it.  They went on and on about Gill getting FTs when he got fouled on his three claiming little contact, and there was a whole heck of a lot more contact on that than Finke's.

24 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that on a 1-and-1 FT attempt by Palmer at the end all of the guys were back to play defense. 

I can tell you it got mentioned a lot in my section at the time.   Folks were not amused.  It got further comment at the bar after the game.

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

uneblinstu is unavailable tonight, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling talking about what a horrible game we had on the boards, and how we should have blown them out, and how it was far closer than it should have been. But, in spite of all that, losing that lead on a 4-point play with 8 seconds left and then having James Palmer shoot a running 3-pointer at the buzzer was probably about as fun a way to win that game as you could have scripted it.

I'll take it.

Bring on Michigan.

Thanks, Norm!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think Palmer played all that well.  Yes he scored a lot of points, but most of those came on plays where a teammate made a great play to set him up.  When he was asked to make a play, bad things happened...other than the one glorious exception with 0.3 seconds left. 

Copeland played like a guy trying to not pick up any fouls on rebounds.  Just didn't hit the boards with any conviction.  I started focusing on him anytime a shot went up, and it was almost embarrassing seeing how little effort he put in boxing out.

Roby stuffed the stat sheet and did so many extra little things that don't make it into the box score.  Take for example Palmer's dunk in the first half (the one where he curled around the right corner, took three long strides, and flushed it).  That dunk ONLY happens because Roby sealed off his defender from helping like an absolute monster.  Great seal.  Otherwise, it is likely a blocked shot.  This IMO is the best all-around game by a Husker this season.  

Evan was solid coming off the bench, but Gill was clearly off in his first start.  I'm a little curious who the starters will be against the skunkbears.

Edited by aphilso1

4 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Copeland played like a guy trying to not pick up any fouls on rebounds.  Just didn't hit the boards with any conviction.  I started focusing on him anytime a shot went up, and it was almost embarrassing seeing how little effort he put in boxing out.

Were you watching more in the second half?  He did have 2 quick and picked up his 3rd right away.

28 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Were you watching more in the second half?  He did have 2 quick and picked up his 3rd right away.

I watched the whole game, but didn't start zeroing in on Cope in rebounding situations until the second half.  He was trying so hard to not foul that he was completely ineffective by that point.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that on a 1-and-1 FT attempt by Palmer at the end all of the guys were back to play defense. 

I noticed this also at the Wisconsin game.  We were up three, with what, 0.9 seconds left, and Gill, I think, was on the line.  He missed the first of two, and I'm yelling at Miles to put rebounders in there in case he misses the 2nd and they get a chance at a heave.  He must not have heard me, because they were all at half court.  Luckily, Gill made the 2nd. 

Come to think of it, I was in the 300's, so maayyybe not surprising he didn't hear me.  ^_^

We didn’t t pass the ball inside against their zone nor ever try to get someone at the high post against the zone.  There needs to be inside out action attacking a zone, not merely passing around the perimeter. 

Roby provided some much needed effort and energy last night.  Michigan will roll if we don’t pick up our intensity.

13 hours ago, HB said:

Just an absolutely pathetic call on the Illini 3 pointer.  So weak.  Conference is a joke.  Heads should roll for weak ass shit like that. Didn't matter, but you can't make that call.  He misses it and that guy gets 3 free throws in our gym.  I am flat out fed up.  

I didn't think this staff was that bad, but I hate it when they bail out the opposing team in our house.  It happens a lot, and you know what is funny we are still winning these games despite it.  No way a whistle should have been blown there, I could see it if it was @ Illinois. 

The part that really irritated me and makes me feel more so that they are against us.  They reversed the 3 pointer to a 2 pointer before reviewing it.  I want to know the Refs name that overturned that one to a two before the review, because I don't want him in our building again!

4 hours ago, HB said:

I can tell you it got mentioned a lot in my section at the time.   Folks were not amused.  It got further comment at the bar after the game.

I would bet you anything the reason no one was trying to rebound was because they were in the bonus and he did not want to chance a silly foul like Roby got to end the first half. Not that uncommon of a strategy.

Watching the replay on the final shot, one official near the NU bench signaled a 3 on the attempt, but the ref closest to it signaled a 2 on the attempt, so that's where the confusion came in. No one overturned anything, they just disagreed.

Ref closest to it probably was screened, there were a lot of bodies in there. I think the guy who signaled the 3 saw it so clearly, he was surprised there was any question, as he started to run off the floor after the final IU shot before coming back.

I'm a little surprised they didn't stop the game to check the clock, determine if it was a 3/2, etc, before Illinois inbounded it. That certainly helped us, as Illinois had no timeouts left to draw something up. Not that they would've had a great chance to score, but looking at the replay, they probably could've put .5 or .6 on the clock had they reviewed it, enough time for a catch and shot.

That game represented everything maddening and exhilarating about the game of college basketball from start to finish. 

Huge game Thursday. If we want to be an NCAA type team, this is a game we have to win at home. Biggest conference home game since 2014 Wisconsin. Time for everyone involved to bring their A game.

I'm going to start yelling "Power" now so I'm ready for Thursday's pre-game. (Hopefully the students can bring the "Husker".)

Edited by throwback

22 minutes ago, throwback said:

I'm going to start yelling "Power" now so I'm ready for Thursday's pre-game. (Hopefully the students can bring the "Husker".)

As a current student at UNL, I can assure you that we will definitely provide the "Husker" ;). I might to try to start a fake shot clock countdown with the student section too. That's always really irritating when other teams do it. 

47 minutes ago, throwback said:

Watching the replay on the final shot, one official near the NU bench signaled a 3 on the attempt, but the ref closest to it signaled a 2 on the attempt, so that's where the confusion came in. No one overturned anything, they just disagreed.

Ref closest to it probably was screened, there were a lot of bodies in there. I think the guy who signaled the 3 saw it so clearly, he was surprised there was any question, as he started to run off the floor after the final IU shot before coming back.

I'm a little surprised they didn't stop the game to check the clock, determine if it was a 3/2, etc, before Illinois inbounded it. That certainly helped us, as Illinois had no timeouts left to draw something up. Not that they would've had a great chance to score, but looking at the replay, they probably could've put .5 or .6 on the clock had they reviewed it, enough time for a catch and shot.

That game represented everything maddening and exhilarating about the game of college basketball from start to finish. 

Huge game Thursday. If we want to be an NCAA type team, this is a game we have to win at home. Biggest conference home game since 2014 Wisconsin. Time for everyone involved to bring their A game.

I was thinking overtime when Palmer's shot went in because like you mentioned the official closest to him signaled 2 and pointed inside the arc. I then looked up and saw 64-63 on scoreboard and was hoping that was correct. Guy beside me told me he thought it was easily a 3 and right after that the replay came up and all was good in the Vault.  Was actually surprised as well that they didn't put time on the clock and give Illinois an inbounds chance.

Edited by rr52

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Officials didn't have time to stop and check how much time to put on the clock because an Illinois guy grabbed the ball and inbounded it within 2 seconds of the shot going through.

Officials getting a call correct versus Huskers in a game at PBA. Color me surprised!! If Tom Eades, Karl Hess and Ted Valentine were on the whistles I would've really been nervous. Of course NU wouldn't even had been in the game if they were reffing.

Edited by rr52