uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 20, Illinois

Norm Peterson

uneblinstu is unavailable tonight, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling talking about what a horrible game we had on the boards, and how we should have blown them out, and how it was far closer than it should have been. But, in spite of all that, losing that lead on a 4-point play with 8 seconds left and then having James Palmer shoot a running 3-pointer at the buzzer was probably about as fun a way to win that game as you could have scripted it.

I'll take it.

Bring on Michigan.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

uneblinstu is unavailable tonight, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling talking about what a horrible game we had on the boards, and how we should have blown them out, and how it was far closer than it should have been. But, in spite of all that, losing that lead on a 4-point play with 8 seconds left and then having James Palmer shoot a running 3-pointer at the buzzer was probably about as fun a way to win that game as you could have scripted it.

I'll take it.

Bring on Michigan.

And ... scene.

Edited by jayschool

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

Roby is going to be scary over the next few years.  I'm so glad he's a Husker!

I see Isaiah taking a Tai Webster-esque leap forward next season.  Would love to see him try to start trying to drive the ball a bit, a la James Palmer.  He needs to be able to attack the glass off the dribble, and I think he can, we'd just all like to see it in a game.

Second thing he needs is to get comfortable taking perimeter shots.  Catch-and-shoot 3 pointers.  

And, lastly, I want to see him with a Shavon Shields mid-range game where, if they cut off the drive, he can elevate and score from 10-15 feet.

I think Isaiah can do all of those things.  I think the team needs him to do all of those things if we want to take that next step forward.  He's a kid with so many tools but he needs to develop a scoring mentality where he wants the ball in his hands and wants to make things happen.

This 5-game stretch included losses at Purdue and Penn State and home wins against Wisconsin and now Illinois.

I had us going 3-2 this set, which means we have to hold serve at home against Michigan.

Michigan is going to be a huge test for us.  Win it, and the computers are going to have to start rethinking the end to our season.

3 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Anyone eise find it a tad bit odd in a game where we didn't play well AND with no Jordy AND with foul trouble AND after playing almost the entire second half at Penn State (including OT) that Jack McVeigh couldn't even get on the floor one time tonight? Very odd. 

Yep. It was odd. But it all evened out.

2 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Anyone eise find it a tad bit odd in a game where we didn't play well AND with no Jordy AND with foul trouble AND after playing almost the entire second half at Penn State (including OT) that Jack McVeigh couldn't even get on the floor one time tonight? Very odd. 

Yes was thinkinking that when we couldn’t buy a 3 that maybe we should give him a chance and especially at end of first half with all the foul trouble....

5 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Nope - similar to Tanner, Illinois was to athletic for Jack. 

Not sure why in a game we were getting killed on the boards, the kid brought in to provide help on the boards never saw the floor after about the under 8 minute timeout.

3 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

McVeigh isn't a ball handler and we weren't in need of a spark tonight. Michigan and their slower length might make sense for a guy like Jack.

13 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Rebounding was ???. 

Part of that was playing 4 guards at points...a combination of wanting to limit turnovers and Copeland being in foul trouble early. We only had 10 turnovers which is great against Illinois...those 18 offensive rebounds were killer though.