Current Husker Most Likely To Play In The NBA

hhcdave

I think three players have a shot, and it is in this order

1. Roby (I think his chances of getting drafted are better than 50%... Most gifted basketball player I have seen come through here in a LOOOOONG time!  When he is a Senior this will be his team and he will have the green light.  I have a feeling a lot of opponents are going to know what Roby's balls taste like, because... well... you saw the picture.  We are going to see a lot more of that down the road!)

2. Copeland (I think the chances of him getting drafted is around 20%, he would be right there with Roby if he would be more aggressive with the ball in his hand.  He settles a lot on his shot, and I think he should drive the ball a lot more especially at 6'9.  He has the size, build and the intangibles to do something in the league)

3. Palmer (If he starts to make better decisions he has an outside shot, he has a knack for making clutch shots.  He reminds me a lot of Petteway, but makes more mistakes and also makes poor decisions when driving the ball.  He is like a double edged sword... He can make shots no one else can, but sometimes those shots turn into really ugly turnovers.)

I love Watson and think he may be the most important player on the team, but he needs to have better vision and his size will be too much to overcome.  He will be great if he plays overseas, but I don't see him getting drafted

Don't know enough about Nana, but with his skill set I feel he has potential.  No way of knowing until he plays a little bit.

Edited by big red22

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Don't know enough about Nana, but with his skill set I feel he has potential.  No way of knowing until he plays a little bit.

Future NBA players (with the possible exception of those over 7 feet tall) do not sit the bench or redshirt.   If he was a potential NBA guy, he would be playing.   Our coaches may not be coach of the year candidates, but they know enough  to play the pros.  

On 1/15/2018 at 6:15 PM, hhcdave said:

Who do you think it is?

I'm going to say Mr. Roby is the most likely current Husker to break our current NBA drought.

Man, it seems like just yesterday, in Danny's last year, we had the most current players in the NBA of any Big 12 school. Would like to see us get more as it means current success with tournament appearances AND a continued uptick in recruiting.

Look forward to reading your thoughts on this topic.

Roby. Yep, that's the guy.

3 hours ago, big red22 said:

Shavon had a great career at Nebraska, but seriously Roby is on another level in athletic ability. 

Points? 

Why is it all about points? 

Roby can do everything as a sophomore, but his game isn't polished yet.  I don't remember ever seeing Shields crotch in someone's face when attempting a dunk either?  Roby has the intangibles... Shields did not.  If you can't see it you aren't looking very hard!

Shavon had the intangibles to be really good for his size, while Isaiah has all of the tangibles as far as freakish physical characteristics.

Roby and it’s not even close. Someone on another thread mentioned he is our version of a unicorn and that is exactly right. His combination of length, athleticism and overall skill set is off the charts. 

Unfortunately Copeland is too stiff (probably related to his back problems and surgery) and not strong enough. He has a slight a frame and can’t shoot well from deep. Form is terrible (shooting hand on side of ball, way too flat, etc). His legs are skinny and he’s a 4th year player.  Roby is 10X better athlete than Copeland, moves better/quicker, jumps higher, is more fluid and  is already bigger and stronger. Roby is just a pup. Look at how much he bulked up on just one year in the weight room. Next game look closely at Roby’s size compared to Copland.  Roby is bigger, his legs are thicker and he will continue to mature and get even stronger. He said in a recent interview the goal is to get to 240 and I think he will. His current stats are irrelevant, that’s mostly a result of massive underuse by Miles. If he shot 10-20 tines a game and had plays run for him like Copeland (which he should IMO) he would be putting up big numbers. NBA scouts will find him regardless and besides he will start putting up numbers soon enough. Biggger question may be whether he stays all 4 years. 

Palmer is intriguing but I don’t see him making it. Hope I’m wrong on him seems like he works hard and he certainly has NBA length for a guard but he will really have to improve his NBA 3 point shot to make it. 

Absolutely love Watson but he’s too small and does not have lethal NBA range which would be needed. 

Edited by NUdiehard

5 hours ago, HB said:

Future NBA players (with the possible exception of those over 7 feet tall) do not sit the bench or redshirt.   If he was a potential NBA guy, he would be playing.   Our coaches may not be coach of the year candidates, but they know enough  to play the pros.  

Last year Roby was 8th on the team in minutes played and only averaged 3.1 points/game and before last night was still only averaging 19 minutes per game his year.. Not saying Nana is Roby most likely is not but I will still wait until I actually get to see him play to make that judgment. No doubt he is very raw but his explosive leaping ability is impressive even by NBA standards and it is said he is a goodshooter. 3 and D players are the rage in the NBA right now even if they can’t dribble or pass particularly well. At this point I just hope we all get to see him play and develop here considering our track record of transfers. 

Nana should have redshirted.  It was his decision to not.  We all knew going in that this was the deepest bench in many years.  He hasn’t shown a whole lot in mop up duty anyways.  Nana should have redshirted.  I hope he stays, but if he decides to transfer, it’s not on Miles for not playing him.

11 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Nana should have redshirted.  It was his decision to not.  We all knew going in that this was the deepest bench in many years.  He hasn’t shown a whole lot in mop up duty anyways.  Nana should have redshirted.  I hope he stays, but if he decides to transfer, it’s not on Miles for not playing him.

I have no inside info, but hopefully Nana will realize that both Taylor and Gill (combined 50ish minutes a game) are seniors, therefore will be gone after this season. He possess a similiar size as Taylor and allegedly is a good 3pt shooter, like Gill. Seems that with a good offseason he could slide into one of their roles.

6 minutes ago, khoock said:

I have no inside info, but hopefully Nana will realize that both Taylor and Gill (combined 50ish minutes a game) are seniors, therefore will be gone after this season. He possess a similar size as Taylor and allegedly is a good 3pt shooter, like Gill. Seems that with a good offseason he could slide into one of their roles.

Thomas Allen will assume a bunch of those minutes, too.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Thomas Allen will assume a bunch of those minutes, too.

Miles also said Xavier Johnson will likely contribute immediately, so he will be taking some minutes as well.

However if Nana works hard and improves he has every shot in the world to get some real playing time next year. But I would say the same thing about Thor. It just depends on how they each develop.

1 minute ago, khoock said:

Yes Allen will probably get 10-15 additional minutes on top of what he already has. That still leaves a good chunk of minutes for either Nana, Thor, Xavier Johnson or anyone else they bring in to grab.

Maybe. Or we run a tighter rotation.

1 minute ago, nuhusker7 said:

Miles also said Xavier Johnson will likely contribute immediately, so he will be taking some minutes as well.

However if Nana works hard and improves he has every shot in the world to get some real playing time next year. But I would say the same thing about Thor. It just depends on how they each develop.

Of course he does. Miles is really high on those guys.

42 minutes ago, khoock said:

I have no inside info, but hopefully Nana will realize that both Taylor and Gill (combined 50ish minutes a game) are seniors, therefore will be gone after this season. He possess a similiar size as Taylor and allegedly is a good 3pt shooter, like Gill. Seems that with a good offseason he could slide into one of their roles.

Both nana n Thor were dumb to not redshirt and would be dumber to transfer w the majority of minutes gone at the two guard, also if palmer were to leave they both have the size to play the three gaurd so hopefully by not redshirting they don’t transfer but we will see. As for Allen I just don’t think miles is comfortable with him at the 2 due to his size, that or he knows he’s coaching for his job n doesn’t want a freshman out there.

5 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Both Nana n Thor were dumb to not redshirt and would be dumber to transfer w the majority of minutes gone at the two guard, also if Palmer were to leave they both have the size to play the three guard so hopefully by not redshirting they don’t transfer but we will see. As for Allen I just don’t think miles is comfortable with him at the 2 due to his size, that or he knows he’s coaching for his job n doesn’t want a freshman out there.

Maybe, but he's also the 4th player in a 4 player guard rotation with an borderline all-conference PG (well, probably not now, but he was thought of at that level coming into the season) and two seniors. I've heard Miles say more than once he'd like to find more minutes for Allen.

I actually really like the way we have used Allen this year.  We have stuck him out there when we’ve needed him, pulled and sat him when he was playing like a Freshman, and let him go when he was playing well (KU).  I think Miles has done a great job and I also think Allen will be a better player for it.  He didn’t have to be thrust into action like in recent past (Tai, Shavon, Ect.). I think we see a nice jump next year from Allen.

3 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Both nana n Thor were dumb to not redshirt and would be dumber to transfer w the majority of minutes gone at the two guard, also if palmer were to leave they both have the size to play the three gaurd so hopefully by not redshirting they don’t transfer but we will see. As for Allen I just don’t think miles is comfortable with him at the 2 due to his size, that or he knows he’s coaching for his job n doesn’t want a freshman out there.

I will bet GW and T Allen are your starting guards next year. Think X if he is as good as it appears will back up GW at the point and I think either Nana or Thor will back up Allen / Palmer.  Probably leaves one of them not getting a ton of minutes next year as well but who knows.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Miles comments about Xavier Johnson are irrelevevant. I believe he said almost the exact same thing about Nana and so far he has only played in 6 games.

I think Xavier will be Alil higher regarded by this spring than nana was but you could be right, I see him playing a similar role to what Allen is currently doing. If everyone returns for next year it could look similar to

watson/xavier

allen/nana/thor

palmer

copeland

roby/Jody/Borchardt 

w possibly another grad transfer big for depth. I see mcveigh leaving if he is set to graduate in May. That would be a pretty talented roster to build upon what we hope is a post season run this year

I don't see Palmer's game translating to the NBA. He has excellent size and length, but he's not particularly explosive and he's not nearly a consistent enough shooter from the perimeter. Add in that he can get to the rim whenever he wants but can't always finish, and I'm not sure what he does for you at that level. He doesn't look like a plus passer, rebounder or defender, so he has to be an efficient scorer and he's just not.

Isaac Copeland isn't anywhere close from what I've seen. His tools aren't anything special at the NBA level and he has three years now of not being able to shoot after one year of shooting well at a lower volume. 

Isaiah Roby is the best bet based on his physical tools and potential skill set, but he has a ways to go. He's not really great at any one thing offensively. His shooting, ball-handling and ball-security all need significant improvement (although he's already done some of that). His defensive potential alone and solid-looking stroke should be enough to entice some NBA scouts down the road but he has the potential to be more for sure.

As for running plays for him, if Roby could be a No. 1 option Miles would be doing just that. He's not there yet, both in skill level and in mind-set. He's still young. Give him time.