Current Husker Most Likely To Play In The NBA

hhcdave

Who do you think it is?

I'm going to say Mr. Roby is the most likely current Husker to break our current NBA drought.

Man, it seems like just yesterday, in Danny's last year, we had the most current players in the NBA of any Big 12 school. Would like to see us get more as it means current success with tournament appearances AND a continued uptick in recruiting.

Look forward to reading your thoughts on this topic.

1 hour ago, hhcdave said:

I'm going to say Mr. Roby is the most likely current Husker to break our current NBA drought.

Roby has certainly built on his size and he's been competing with some of the best in the P5. If I sized him up with Petteway, Shields, or AWIII, I just don't see it yet. But the kids' got time. And he's improved year over year.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

You can if you want that stink on you ;).

I kid...AWIIII makes the NBA and huskers.com probably puts it on the front page

I never was salty about him transferring, honestly, so I'll gladly claim him.  To me, it's once a Husker, always a Husker.

But I do respect that others are not so forgiving.

My timing for the original post couldn't have been better. Tonight was Robys coming out party. He single handedly won us this game with big play after big play. 

His freakish athletic ability was on full display on the almost Michael Jordan dunk. 

His handles on full display with both hands. 

His basketball IQ - which is through the roof. 

Getting 10+ rebounds undersized at the 5. 

He is going to be BY FAR the best player of the Miles era - first team all big 10 as a senior - and a late first round NBA pick. He is grounded and won't stop working. 

2 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

My timing for the original post couldn't have been better. Tonight was Robys coming out party. He single handedly won us this game with big play after big play. 

His freakish athletic ability was on full display on the almost Michael Jordan dunk. 

He is going to be BY FAR the best player of the Miles era - first team all big 10 as a senior - and a late first round NBA pick. He is grounded and won't stop working. 

I agree with all of this except for the late first round part.  He's going in the lottery.

4 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

That was awesome. It reminded me of a combo of MJ in the 80s dunking over Tree Rollins of the Hawks and LeBron the way he cocks the ball back on his jams.

Love Isaiah, but his career high in scoring is 12 points and he's a sophomore. Projecting him to a first round draft pick is a real stretch. Shavon had a 29-point game as a freshman, for example. Also keep in mind that IR's never the focus of opponents' defense, since he's usually the third or fourth option. I like IR's game, has good tools, but he hasn't even been starting for a mid-level Big Ten team and doesn't have one skill at an elite level. Can he get there? Sure, but he's probably in a pool of about 200 players who could "if they develop."

Palmer has a lot going for him, but he's really inefficient as a high-usage guy. Very similar to Terran in that regard, but TP was better and didn't get drafted. So I'd go with Cope. Good size, think he could get his shot off against elite competition.

7 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Love Isaiah, but his career high in scoring is 12 points and he's a sophomore. Projecting him to a first round draft pick is a real stretch. Shavon had a 29-point game as a freshman, for example. Also keep in mind that IR's never the focus of opponents' defense, since he's usually the third or fourth option. I like IR's game, has good tools, but he hasn't even been starting for a mid-level Big Ten team and doesn't have one skill at an elite level. Can he get there? Sure, but he's probably in a pool of about 200 players who could "if they develop."

Palmer has a lot going for him, but he's really inefficient as a high-usage guy. Very similar to Terran in that regard, but TP was better and didn't get drafted. So I'd go with Cope. Good size, think he could get his shot off against elite competition.

It's just an opinion but I don't think Terran is/was better than Palmer. I would rather have Palmer on my team.

7 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I agree that freshman/sophomore Shavon gets the nod over Roby on skills.  Roby gets the nod on athleticism. 

But it's not apples-to-apples to compare, say, scoring averages for the two.

Shavon's freshman team basically consisted of six guys and Andre Almeida getting regular minutes.  So Shields is competing for touches with David Rivers and Benny Parker.

Again, I agree Shavon had more skill than Isaiah does presently.  But Shavon had a ceiling.  Roby has a higher ceiling.  If Isaiah can develop NBA 3-point range -- which Shavon also never had -- I think he has a better shot than Shavon did.  Even though he did a lot of things well at the college level, I don't think Shavon was ever going to be an NBA player.

While I think Isaiah needs to work on some things, I nevertheless think he has that potential.

Anthony Tolliver from Creighton averaged 0.8 pts and 1.3 rebounds in 6.5 minutes as a freshman.

As a sophomore, his averages improved to 17.1 minutes, 4.4 bds and 4.2 pts.

Entering his junior year, Tolliver was career 1-7 from 3-point range.

As a junior, he shot 16/37 treys for 43.2%.  He also averaged 28.7 minutes, 13.2 points and 6.7 rebounds.

His senior year, he  logged 31.6 min/game, 13.4 ppg, and 6.7 bds/game.

Now, 10 years after graduating college, he's still in the NBA on the Detroit Pistons roster.

He's currently 6'8" and 240.

Isaiah Roby is also 6'8".  As a sophomore on a team with very good depth, he's averaging 20.6 minutes, 7.0 pts, 5.2 bds while shooting 34.8% from 3-point range.

What's Tolliver got that Isaiah Roby can't develop?

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Anthony Tolliver from Creighton averaged 0.8 pts and 1.3 rebounds in 6.5 minutes as a freshman.

As a junior, he shot 16/37 treys for 43.2%.  He also averaged 28.7 minutes, 13.2 points and 6.7 rebounds.

Now, 10 years after graduating college, he's still in the NBA on the Detroit Pistons roster.

Isaiah Roby is also 6'8".  As a sophomore on a team with very good depth, he's averaging 20.6 minutes, 7.0 pts, 5.2 bds while shooting 34.8% from 3-point range.

The main thing I would like to see Roby improve on is the turnovers. He will keep growing into his body and keep getting more confident. He’s the best Nebrasketball NBA prospect in a while.

if that ever translates I’ve is another question down the road, because his ceiling is so high.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Basically it's possible for anyone to develop and make it, so I guess Jordy's a possibility too. But I'm still gonna say Copeland is most likely to play in the NBA. 

8 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Shavon had a great career at Nebraska, but seriously Roby is on another level in athletic ability. 

Points? 

Why is it all about points? 

Roby can do everything as a sophomore, but his game isn't polished yet.  I don't remember ever seeing Shields crotch in someone's face when attempting a dunk either?  Roby has the intangibles... Shields did not.  If you can't see it you aren't looking very hard!