uneblinstu's post game chatter: vol 5, ed 20 - Northwestern

uneblinstu

We played a very good game today.  It is easy to say that Northwestern is not the most athletic team in the NCAA, but they had skills and play their style of game pretty well.  We had a very good defensive scheme that took them out of their game.  We played with much more intensity and focus, especially after the first seven minutes. 

- Coach Miles lit this team up at about the 15 minute mark.  We let them have two or three offensive rebounds and Miles did not appreciate that breakdown.  Excellent.

- What/where/why did Andre not play...I have not heard anything.  Was it the flu?

- Benny played well today...but for the missed lay up, he played a good game.  His quickness helped today.

- Menke and Tyrance each got a minute of play...shrug.

- Rivers did very good job on defense.  His length caused them some problems.  He also hit a couple of nice shots.  His FT shooting though...ehhh...kind of stunk.

- Shavon did some good things, but made a few freshman mistakes.  He did board hard.  He did play good defense.

- Gallegos played nice defense as well.  He did not force his offensive game...but when he got it going, he got it going...great dunk by the way.

- Ubel was a flippen stud today.  Man he played hard - directed the team on defense - rebounded - pounded and pounded - played 39 minutes - double/double.  He was a stud today.

- Talley had a nice game...shot better, ran the offense fine, played good defense...Overall, very well done.

Hard to find fault.  We needed this at home.  The crowd was a sleep, but came alive in the second half.  People still left early, but more so because the game was in hand.  Nice win!

I did not attend the game and only watched it while reading files, so my views are should not be given much weight but:

1. Talley and Ubel seem to be more assertive and stronger leaders than earlier in the season.

2. The team is really becoming more and more cohesive. The communication seems to have improved, and the resiliency is incredible. The pauses in transition are becoming fewer and farther between. In previous games, the trapping by Northwestern would have been problematic but the guys moved the ball up the court more effectively.

3. Talent level is not as much of an issue as depth any more. A healthy Nebraska 1-7 bench, without foul trouble, can keep up with most in a very deep conference.

I had to listen to the game today, but one thing I liked going into the game was that Miles rested the team. I think it's probably what has to happen from here on out is that they can only practice so much and so hard and still have a chance to win games. I picked us to win solely because of this.

Really happy for the team, since the occasional win helps keep them going for what is another nasty stretch of games coming up.

Also happy for the guys on here who go to games. that must have been nice to get a win at home finally!

Good news is we have a 2 game pad over PSU for 11th place. At this point, I think we'd be hard pressed to finish last.

And there's still hope to eek out another spot or two. If we can pound NW at home, we can beat Iowa at home as well. It'll take the usual mid 40s percentages, but it can be done.

I think 4 wins is still very possible. And if it happens, that would be amazing considering last year's squad only managed 4 wins, and they had a lot more talent.

The game plan we had defensively was outstanding.  We seemed to know where the NW players were going almost before they did.  Great job with rotations and recoveries.  Overall a great job by Miles and his staff with preparation and good job by the players with execution. 

Echo the sentiment regarding Ubel.  Played the whole game and did a terrific job on both ends.  Talley had more points but Ubel was definitely the MVP today.

Great to get a nice solid win.   Way to go guys !  If we hit our free throws, this thing looks REALLY impressive with the final score.

If the boards at the game were correct, Shavon had 9 rebounds.   Dylan was good today.  Happy for him as he has been playing like he needs to make plays and he hasn't.   Just seemed to let it come to him today and made good decisions and took good shots.

Not sure what the circumstances were that put Menke in the game in the first half, but good for him.  You think he was surprised and had his heart skip a bit when Miles called his name ?

I started paying closer attention to Ray after I realized he was scoreless.   I was thinking that he must not be feeling well by his body language.  Then he went off and started hitting the 3's.  He's likely just mellow/even keeled by nature.

Great to get a nice solid win.   Way to go guys !  If we hit our free throws, this thing looks REALLY impressive with the final score.

If the boards at the game were correct, Shavon had 9 rebounds.   Dylan was good today.  Happy for him as he has been playing like he needs to make plays and he hasn't.   Just seemed to let it come to him today and made good decisions and took good shots.

Not sure what the circumstances were that put Menke in the game in the first half, but good for him.  You think he was surprised and had his heart skip a bit when Miles called his name ?

It was one of those times when Roy Williams would get pissed at a slow start and pull his starting five with walk ons.  Well, he got pissed at somebody and put in Menke.

It was one of those times when Roy Williams would get pissed at a slow start and pull his starting five with walk ons.  Well, he got pissed at somebody and put in Menke.

He put Menke in for Tyrance.  Jordan had just turned it over - but I did not view it as anger just that NW had gone to their 1-3-1 and he wanted a better shooter and ball handler against that - plus Parker and Shields were both out because of foul trouble at the time.

"Benny played well today...but for the missed lay up, he played a good game.  His quickness helped today."

He had a 4 or 5 minute run where he was just terrible. We had 3 possessions in a row where he turned it over. I had just said to my son, "Benny is killing us right now, we got to get him out," when he made a steal and got a break away. He then, or course blew the layup. BUT other than that run I thought he played fairly well.

I bet you're right.    The crowd sure liked it when Miles gave the guys a chewing for not getting rebounds too.

I had to smile when the crowd cheers as Miles calls a time out just to get in the middle of the floor and publically scream at his players.   How many of those same people criticize Pelini for yelling a players in a less obvious way.  

Of course people do seem to let BB coaches get away with alot in that regard - assuming they like them to begin with at least.  This is certainly an area where preconceived notions impact opinions and reactions.  Nee used to get crap about language etc. toward the end of his tenure - if he had done then what Miles did today people would have raked him over the coals for it.

I bet you're right.    The crowd sure liked it when Miles gave the guys a chewing for not getting rebounds too.

I had to smile when the crowd cheers as Miles calls a time out just to get in the middle of the floor and publically scream at his players.   How many of those same people criticize Pelini for yelling a players in a less obvious way.  

Of course people do seem to let BB coaches get away with alot in that regard - assuming they like them to begin with at least.  This is certainly an area where preconceived notions impact opinions and reactions.  Nee used to get crap about language etc. toward the end of his tenure - if he had done then what Miles did today people would have raked him over the coals for it.

ive heard this argument a few times on this board and ive never agreed with it. Miles does many things bo cant do, mainly be social media friendly and seem like a normal guy. Bo reminds me to much of NicK Saban and Bobby Knight constanly seems angry and someone who just goes off on small things, but i also like bo and bobby knight and saben as they know how to nip things in the butt when the situation happens and players follow suit. I dont think miles is that same coach

"Benny played well today...but for the missed lay up, he played a good game.  His quickness helped today."

He had a 4 or 5 minute run where he was just terrible. We had 3 possessions in a row where he turned it over. I had just said to my son, "Benny is killing us right now, we got to get him out," when he made a steal and got a break away. He then, or course blew the layup. BUT other than that run I thought he played fairly well.

I must have missed that four or five minute spell, because I thought, especially defensively, Benny played his best ball of the season.  I also liked the play (although it was because of a mistake) that Talley and Shavon dove head first, giving up their bodies) in an attempt to  pick up a loose ball.  Dean, I am going to rewatch the game, I will try to pick up that spell you referenced.  I say this because but for the first 7 minutes of the game, I didn't see anyone play terrible ball

I thought the guy stepped or kicked Benny's foot as he was going up for the lay up. Not a foul but it caused him to kind of stumble before he went up.

He also took the ball away twice and I still think he stuffed the 7 footer when he got called for the foul.

But then I really like the kid and think he will do good things before he leaves.

I said before the game that Almeida wouldn't see the court.  NW runs their big man at the elbow almost all game and sets a TON of screens.  No way Almeida can do the job of hedging the way that Ubel can.  Almeida would have been eaten alive with all the high ball screens their big guys set all night.  So I had no problem with him not playing today and in fact, said he wouldn't.  

As for Benny...I also thought Benny was great especially on defense.  He took #3 out of his game in that 2nd half and was awesome IMO in doing so.

I must have missed that four or five minute spell, because I thought, especially defensively, Benny played his best ball of the season.  I also liked the play (although it was because of a mistake) that Talley and Shavon dived head first, giving up their bodies) in an attempt to  pick up a loose ball.  Dean, I am going to rewatch the game, I will try to pick up that spell you referenced.  I say this because but for the first 7 minutes of the game, I didn't see anyone play terrible ball

I think he ended up with 5 turn overs and 3 or 4 of them plus the missed lay-up were in that spell. I'm saying other than that he played well.

I thought the guy stepped or kicked Benny's foot as he was going up for the lay up. Not a foul but it caused him to kind of stumble before he went up.

He also took the ball away twice and I still think he stuffed the 7 footer when he got called for the foul.

I thought so too when I was at the game, but when I went back to watch it later, he very clearly got him with the body going up to block him.

He put Menke in for Tyrance.  Jordan had just turned it over - but I did not view it as anger just that NW had gone to their 1-3-1 and he wanted a better shooter and ball handler against that - plus Parker and Shields were both out because of foul trouble at the time.

Ah, that sounds right.  I think there was an anger sub somewhere in the first half, but it must have been someone else...

Ah, that sounds right.  I think there was an anger sub somewhere in the first half, but it must have been someone else...

That's what I saw as well.  Also before that there was a pass that went behind Tyrance to a player in the paint.

I said before the game that Almeida wouldn't see the court.  NW runs their big man at the elbow almost all game and sets a TON of screens.  No way Almeida can do the job of hedging the way that Ubel can.  Almeida would have been eaten alive with all the high ball screens their big guys set all night.  So I had no problem with him not playing today and in fact, said he wouldn't.  

As for Benny...I also thought Benny was great especially on defense.  He took #3 out of his game in that 2nd half and was awesome IMO in doing so.

You were absolutely right....until Andre can prove he can score against smaller players he's essentially a defensive liability in a team that needs it's defense to stay in games.  He'll be needed against Minnesota's size and ability to draw contact.

Speaking of substitutions, it felt like Dylan was taken out of the game towards the end because the game was in hand.

Shields with 4 fouls, had some contact under the hoop on a defensive rebound and I was sure that he'd fouled out of the game.  He was then pulled for Talley for a bit until all the subs came in.

Anyone else see this?

ive heard this argument a few times on this board and ive never agreed with it. Miles does many things bo cant do, mainly be social media friendly and seem like a normal guy. Bo reminds me to much of NicK Saban and Bobby Knight constanly seems angry and someone who just goes off on small things, but i also like bo and bobby knight and saben as they know how to nip things in the butt when the situation happens and players follow suit. I dont think miles is that same coach

I agree 100 % bobcat.    I've had coments on this before here.  There is no comparison between how Bo is and what Tim does IMHO.