uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 19 - @ Penn St.

uneblinstu

11 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The result has nothing to do with what I feel is the right lineup or play.  Maybe it does for others.  It is like poker.  If I make a shitty call and slop out with bad pot odds, that doesn't mean I made a good play, just as if Watson slopped out and threw that in wouldn'g have made it a good play either. 

I think the plan was to get the long two point shot we've seen Watson hit a bunch of times and Penn St blew it up.

We had Gill and McVeigh spreading out the defense in the corners. Roby started up to set a screen and Watkins ate him up. By the time Copeland came up Watson had already decided that he needed to get a shot off. We ended up with a long 3 instead and Watson doesn't make it.

Are you bringing in Palmer there after sitting on the bench for the last however many minutes to take the last shot? If so then sure, he's as good as anyone and maybe he makes it.

However if you're running a 3 man game like we did I don't think you're using Palmer to set the screen so you basically have Palmer in the corner as a decoy and the result is the same.

Palmer not playing in OT is a different story. 

I also think it is time to take the training wheels off Roby.  We clearly are better when he is in there.  Let him start and let him play as much as he can handle.  If he gets in foul trouble, he gets in foul trouble.  However, tonight he had one foul.  He could have played far more than 23 regulation minutes.  He should have played far more than 23 regulation minutes.  We probably win the game if he played more than 23 regulation minutes.  Hamstringing ourselves cannot be done. 

Edited by royalfan

Tough loss.  Good effort.

I didn't mind giving Jack a few minutes, but we didn't come because Jack came in.  We came back because we switched to zone, which was a great move. 

Palmer should've been in on the past play of regulation and the entire OT.  

Overall, we took care of the ball and played decent defense and almost backed our way into a road win against a very talented team.  

Nice showing from Copeland, and I was glad to see Glynn aggressive tonight.  He missed a few shots but he was also unguardable at times.  

Without Jordy, I'm officially on the "start Roby" train after watching tonight.  There isn't a 5 in the country who can guard him, and he can guard most 5s.  Have Duby and Borchardt give Roby spot minutes.  

Watson/Allen

Gill/Taylor

Palmer/Taylor/McVeigh

Copeland/McVeigh

Roby/Duby/Borchardt

^^^ there are no defensive OR offensive liabilities in that starting lineup!! 

Tough tough loss, I am a miles supporter as he seems like a hell of a guy n has done what I’d consider a heck of a job recruiting at Nebraska. Tonight they did miss a fair amount of contested lay ups and probably a half dozen wide open threes the guys at the local YMCA usually knock down but this offense is trash. No clue what is so hard about putting cope or roby at the high post n let them iso from there, worked 75% of the time tonight but they only ran it like 8 times.

as far as the no Palmer in crunch time is anyone’s guess, was happy to see some mcveigh but certainly didn’t want to see 21 mins of mcveigh. 

Hes gotta look at cutting Taylor’s minutes as well 27 tonight while not scoring for a second straight game I believe, Allen looked to have it going for a spurt in the first half then gets no minutes after that or he’s gotta give Nana a chance. Believe he is like 6’5” and shot over 40 percent from distance in high school his senior year. 

Just gotta do something to get more scoring on the floor. That was painful to watch in OT

5 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Tough tough loss, I am a miles supporter as he seems like a hell of a guy n has done what I’d consider a heck of a job recruiting at Nebraska. Tonight they did miss a fair amount of contested lay ups and probably a half dozen wide open threes the guys at the local YMCA usually knock down but this offense is trash. No clue what is so hard about putting cope or roby at the high post n let them iso from there, worked 75% of the time tonight but they only ran it like 8 times.

as far as the no Palmer in crunch time is anyone’s guess, was happy to see some mcveigh but certainly didn’t want to see 21 mins of mcveigh. 

Hes gotta look at cutting Taylor’s minutes as well 27 tonight while not scoring for a second straight game I believe, Allen looked to have it going for a spurt in the first half then gets no minutes after that or he’s gotta give Nana a chance. Believe he is like 6’5” and shot over 40 percent from distance in high school his senior year. 

Just gotta do something to get more scoring on the floor. That was painful to watch in OT

Well said.  Post more!!

The final play in regulation was suppose to have Watson driving to the rim.  Roby getting fouled by Watkins killed the timing of the play because by the time Roby got to Watson, Watson felt he didn't have enough time.  Thus, the contested 3.  And, it most certainly was a foul on Watkins.  He bear hugged Roby.

I agree that Palmer should have played in OT.  Another gripe I have with Miles was he didn't switch to zone earlier.  After the 1st media TO of the 2nd half, he should have made the switch.

As for Roby only playing 23 minutes in regulation, he did not have a very good 1st half.  He only played 8 minutes in the 1st half, and 15 in the 2nd.  If he plays like he did in the 2nd half, it will be impossible to keep him off the floor.

Only saw 2nd half and OT.  Give 'em credit for fighting back.  Oh to make one of those missed FTs in regulation.

As uneblinstu noted, offense in OT was bad except play to Gill to get the three to tie.  Last regulation possession was horrid, as well, as noted by many.

Best moment of the game:  With 3:01 left in the second half when the three stooges delay the game to go to the scorer's table to figure out who they called the foul on, someone from the crowd yells, "Go back to Foot Locker."  :lol:

Granted, it was a tough call - the PSU guy first fouled Watson, then fouled his own man Watkins, who proceeded to foul the NU guy boxing him out.

Revisiting this thread on the morning after a game like this one is like going back to the party room after New Years Eve. You might find a savory hors d'oeuvre someone overlooked or you might step on the puke under the table. My take: We would have won this game 1. with Jordy available, 2. with Palmer playing at the end 3. by hitting free throws at our normal rate. OK, time to move on and show Illinois we are for real. 

12 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Revisiting this thread on the morning after a game like this one is like going back to the party room after New Years Eve. You might find a savory hors d'oeuvre someone overlooked or you might step on the puke under the table. My take: We would have won this game 1. with Jordy available, 2. with Palmer playing at the end 3. by hitting free throws at our normal rate. OK, time to move on and show Illinois we are for real. 

Agreed, jordy doesn’t necessarily help but just no distraction probably leads to a 5 point win atleast,  only hitting 60 some percent from the charity stripe was frustrating since we have been better then most years but if Palmer is in for more then 20 mins we probably shoot 4 to 6 more free throws too.

i fully expected they would steal this one especially after jordy essentially telling the team to pound sand.  But as long as they can hold serve at home the rest of the way n maybe get 1 or 2 in the big ten tourney I think NIT is still possible 

Stealing is the right word.  PSU has some talent, but I thought this would be one we might be able to steal on road.  By no means did I expect we'd win all of our road games, but I thought we might have a shot to do just that at the end of regulation, which is why this loss is so frustrating.  We must hold serve at home, and we should be able to pickup a couple road wins somewhere.  We're still in good shape.  

Edited by hal9000

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Agreed, jordy doesn’t necessarily help but just no distraction probably leads to a 5 point win atleast,  only hitting 60 some percent from the charity stripe was frustrating since we have been better then most years but if Palmer is in for more then 20 mins we probably shoot 4 to 6 more free throws too.

i fully expected they would steal this one especially after jordy essentially telling the team to pound sand.  But as long as they can hold serve at home the rest of the way n maybe get 1 or 2 in the big ten tourney I think NIT is still possible 

Oh the NIT is certainly a possibility.  But so is the Dance.  The only thing the loss did last night to our dance hopes is put a sour taste in all of our mouths.  It didn’t eliminate us from the dance at all.  Do we have work left to do?  Of course!  100%.  We’ve got a ways to go.  But to say if we win the rest of our home games (7 games) and win 1-2 in the tourney, that is 19-20 wins.  That 100% puts us in the NIT.  

While 19-20 wins puts us on the outside of the bubble probably, it’ll at least have us in bubble discussion.  That would be a 10-8 BIG record with 2 tourney wins.  Still a lot to play for and the Dance is nowhere near out of the question.

Its easy to feel that way after the game last night though.  We should have won and been in bubble discussion THIS week.  Oh well.  We move on and win in the coming weeks.

Edited by hskr4life

11 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Tony Carr scored 17 points on 21 shots with ET guarding him the most. Taylor is a serviceable spot 3pt shooter but with the shot blocking of Penn St. taking away a lot of drives he's probably at his best having his teammates shooting; his 0 points came on only 4 attempts.  You give those minutes to Allen and Nana maybe they trigger the offense to pull it out; more likely we lose it in regulation 88-74

Maybe gone to the 1-3-1 a bit earlier?  I think we waited until like 3 or 4 minutes left to do it.  Maybe go to it with 6 or 7 minutes left?

Still wish we could have executed better plays at the end of regulation and OT (especially at the end of regulation).

Need short memories, big couple games at home coming up.  Have to defend the Vault.

Glynn  looked great in the first half, but wound up missing as many shots (13) as our next most prolific shooter took (Copeland).

Would have been nice to see more Palmer, but with 1 for 9 and picking up three fouls early it wasn't his night.

I don't think Jordy makes a difference in this one if he had played. Tanner Borchardt is outplaying Tshimanga and Okeke as a conventional post and I think Roby/Copeland with three guards is our best option. If I could persuade Miles, I'd suggest switching defenses multiple times in the game. I think 1-3-1 with Copeland/Roby and McVeigh gave us a disruptive element that offset rebounding assignment concerns, but I would like to see the switches happen when give up 2 or 3 buckets in a row. I have had enough of our 14 point comebacks from 15 point deficits. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Tony Carr scored 17 points on 21 shots with ET guarding him the most. Taylor is a serviceable spot 3pt shooter but with the shot blocking of Penn St. taking away a lot of drives he's probably at his best having his teammates shooting; his 0 points came on only 4 attempts.  You give those minutes to Allen and Nana maybe they trigger the offense to pull it out; more likely we lose it in regulation 88-74

Valid point ET guards like a boss but as far as serviceable three point shooter he hit most of his earlier in the season, seems to really be in a funk now. I’m not saying don’t play him I’m just saying you can’t play him 27 minutes. Allen is gonna make some mistakes n he doesn’t have the defensive chips of ET but he’s also capable of getting buckets in bunches, him only getting 8 mins outta 45 just seems crazy especially when those were basically all first half mins. As for Nana who really knows.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Oh the NIT is certainly a possibility.  But so is the Dance.  The only thing the loss did last night to our dance hopes is put a sour taste in all of our mouths.  It didn’t eliminate us from the dance at all.  Do we have work left to do?  Of course!  100%.  We’ve got a ways to go.  But to say if we win the rest of our home games (7 games) and win 1-2 in the tourney, that is 19-20 wins.  That 100% puts us in the NIT.  

While 19-20 wins puts us on the outside of the bubble probably, it’ll at least have us in bubble discussion.  That would be a 10-8 BIG record with 2 tourney wins.  Still a lot to play for and the Dance is nowhere near out of the question.

Its easy to feel that way after the game last night though.  We should have won and been in bubble discussion THIS week.  Oh well.  We move on and win in the coming weeks.

Even with say 22 wins the big dance seems like a long shot, best current win would probably be northwestern, best future expected win is probably what Maryland? All n all the penn st loss isn’t crippling as I higher seed in the NIT is probably considered a winning season just sucks because we had the game last night 

5 hours ago, HB said:

Duby 12 minutes zero rebounds.   Wow.  

On EVERY shot in the paint, Duby goes for the blocked shot.  When he does so, his man is free to rebound.  On one occasion, he came over to help on a player that broke free from Evan, Evan basically stopped, the dude missed his shot and Duby's man got the put back. 

I commented in the game thread when it happened.  It was a dunk/put back.