Rumour du jour: Possible Jordy Transfer

hhcmatt

15 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

To me, what else can Miles do? He has stayed with him the season in starting him. The only time he has really sat was the second half of the Purdue game. altough he only played 6 mins.

What Miles could do is develop players better.  If that is part of the issue here, which it sounds like it may be, then I do get it a little bit.  This staff has not developed players all that well in my opinion, and we have to be able to do that, so we are less reliant on transfers. 

I don't get the Miles doesn't develop players take.  I think Petteway and Webster developed very well, even Borchardt is.  Other than opinion how does one establish what coaches develop players well and which ones do not.  It seems like it is hard to measure whether it is coach development or player ceiling that determines and work that determines whether a player improves.

Not trying to start something with ya' Royal just wondering if there is more to discuss here.  I look at Daum and Kaminsky as guys that really developed.  I suppose if you win games and players improve you get the credit right?

I understand what you are saying.  For me, the simple answer is I judge it myself with my instincts.  Very few guys have gotten better at shooting the ball while here.  That is a discouraging signal to my instincts.  Some guys do get better on their own.  Some programs seem to have a lot of guys get better.  I don't consider us to be in that category. 

14 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I understand what you are saying.  For me, the simple answer is I judge it myself with my instincts.  Very few guys have gotten better at shooting the ball while here.  That is a discouraging signal to my instincts.  Some guys do get better on their own.  Some programs seem to have a lot of guys get better.  I don't consider us to be in that category. 

I am not 100% in agreement on the take that guys haven't gotten better shooting the ball here.  Tai, Evan, Anton, Isaiah and Glynn or a few that have improved their outside shot since they have been here...Yuppers, you can look at Glynn and say naaaah....but he really has improved form and function since arriving in Lincoln...or at least that is my very humble opinion.

2 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

I don't get the Miles doesn't develop players take.  I think Petteway and Webster developed very well, even Borchardt is.  Other than opinion how does one establish what coaches develop players well and which ones do not.  It seems like it is hard to measure whether it is coach development or player ceiling that determines and work that determines whether a player improves.

Not trying to start something with ya' Royal just wondering if there is more to discuss here.  I look at Daum and Kaminsky as guys that really developed.  I suppose if you win games and players improve you get the credit right?

It's just a lazy reason to hate on a coach, IMO.  Just like whining about a guy getting "outcoached" after a loss.  I remember listening to the Dakich radio show from Indy when he had Coach Miles on and people were calling in to whine about Crean's poor coaching ability and Dakich asked the caller to give a specific example of what he was talking about.  The caller said something about substitution patterns or something and Dakich just went nuclear on the dude calling him an idiot and what the hell did he know about substitution patterns.  I thought it was funny.  Anyway, I don't put too much stock in people's opinions on coaching too much.  Let 'em complain.

People hate on Dakich but I think he's pretty knowledgeable. 

Part of the problem in seeing player development is that we’ve had damn few four-year seniors under Miles. Tai would be the biggest success story. I was going to add Shavon, but his shooting % was almost identical his freshman and senior years, and the two in between stunk. 

I don’t think Glynn’s arc has been that good, to be honest. He averaged 8.6 pgg as a freshman and had a better ast/TO ratio than so far this year. Has he really improved beyond what you'd expect would happen by junior year? Jack’s arc isn’t good either. Do we count the transfers? Both Terran and AWIII were pretty highly touted coming out of high school, but didn’t blossom till they got here. Is it because they became high-usage players here or because they were developed by the staff? IDK, that's open to debate, I guess. 

I’m not willing to say the staff doesn’t develop players, but I would say it’s hard to find evidence, based mainly on the fact that we haven’t had many 4-year players.

Just now, Chuck Taylor said:

Part of the problem in seeing player development is that we’ve had damn few four-year seniors under Miles. Tai would be the biggest success story. I was going to add Shavon, but his shooting % was almost identical his freshman and senior years, and the two in between stunk. 

I don’t think Glynn’s arc has been that good, to be honest. He averaged 8.6 pgg as a freshman and had a better ast/TO ratio than so far this year. Has he really improved beyond what you'd expect would happen by junior year? Jack’s arc isn’t good either. Do we count the transfers? Both Terran and AWIII were pretty highly touted coming out of high school, but didn’t blossom till they got here. Is it because they became high-usage players here or because they were developed by the staff? IDK, that's open to debate, I guess. 

I’m not willing to say the staff doesn’t develop players, but I would say it’s hard to find evidence, based mainly on the fact that we haven’t had many 4-year players.

100% agree on the arc comment, and you can include Isaac in on that as well. 

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, but wouldn't it be "du jour?"

"You Speak French!!!!!!"   (Andie McDowell in 'Groundhog Day!'  :D)

(and thanks to you (and 49r) for resurrecting the 'Insider Jokes' thread(s).  A great one for newcomers (Old Timers too).  I had forgotten  :o about that thread until it popped up in the un-read list)

Edited by Red Don

It is depressing because I can't really argue you with. Other than Tai I haven't seen a good case study.

49 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Tai Webster is the single most improved player from Fr-Sr that I've ever seen put on a Husker uniform on both offense and defense.

Shavon's highest 3pt % happened as a Sr.

Benny Parker's highest 3pt % happened as a Sr.

Andrew White's highest 3pt % happened at Nebraska.

David Rivers' highest FG % happened as a Sr.

Ray Gallegos' highest FG % happened as a Sr.

I guess I don't really get that argument.  Most players improve their shooting very incrementally regardless of coaching.  

Someone else was mentioning not having 4-year players, but we're exactly on par with the rest of college basketball's crazy attrition.  In some ways, attrition is a good sign because it means you actually have talent on the bench who think they can contribute elsewhere.

I am wholeheartedly in the camp that Miles' in-game coaching is totally up for debate.  Having said that, I've been very impressed with the in-game rotation and defensive adjustments I've seen this year.  Miles has been an absolutely relentless recruiter, so I'm cool with the in-game philosophy having a longer leash given how excellent his recruiting results have been.  We're seeing the recruiting pay off for his coaching philosophy this season.  Gotta have the guys to run the system.  You can't get away with subpar talent in basketball in the B1G.  

Make the tournament this year, and I think Miles is over the hump in both recruiting and coaching philosophy and Nebraska will enter the world of perennial bubble team.  

4 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

This is my virgin post on the Haymarket Hardwood and I can't believe it took me so long to stumble upon this website.  I guess I wasn't looking hard enough on the internet but it's nice to know that there are other crazy Nebrasketball fans out there.  We are a special breed, much like Cubs fans prior to their world series win and current Cleveland Browns fans - crazy, passionate and obviously we were all likely dropped on our heads during our formative years.................

Oh, and  :Welcome:  '79!     Sixteen likes (and counting) on four posts.  You're off to a good start!  ^_^)

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Yes part of developing kids is working on shooting better, but besides the two mentions, Shields got better, Parker got better, so players are getting better.  Some of the issue with shooting maybe that there was such a long ways to go to be elite even small changes are hard to see.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Agree very much with this post. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Let's surmise this is true; I'm not sure how abruptly transferring mid-season is going to help Jordy develop.

Me neither.  Seems like a hasty decision to me.  Let it play out, make the most of the season you are playing and figure it out at the end.  Hopefully that still happens.  Still believe his year end ceiling is a bit higher than our other post players. 

18 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I think we are arguing semantics. A 5 to me is a low post player. If people watch this they will see all of the positives and good things he can do, and there were obviously a lot. But you will see that when he scores they are not from a low post position where he is using  a post move. He rarely even works to establish a low post position. You will also see how he is moved off the block and how his shots are affected by stronger but much shorter players. He is dominant on the class B level. He NEEDS to gain and get MUCH stronger to play at the D1 level. So I am saying he can be good but there are some basic things he needs to take care up in a redshirt season before he is ready. I am definitely rooting for him because he is going to play for my favorite team. That's why I'm rooting for Jordy until things are final. 

Couldn’t agree more with dean smith, love that we got heiman n think his long term potential is off the charts. He looks to have somewhat of a face up game and good free throw mechanics plus good length for shot blocking, but just watching that video you can see he needs to add atleast 40 pounds, he took a lot of bad shots to get that 27 points and he’s currently just not good at getting post position because he’s never had too.

but hey let’s hope redshirt year or no redshirt year he hits the weight room hard and has a stellar career as a sker 

I don't know if you would consider it player development, but his track record with big guys is not good.

Pitchford (left team)

Smith (Juco- did a pretty good job as a role player)

Sergei (transfer)

Hammond (transfer)

MJ (transfer)

Morrow (transfer)

Jordy (potential transfer)

Duby/Moses (grad transfers that are role players)

Not sure if all these guys transferring are all on Miles but to not have a high school big guy finish out his career is not good.