Rumour du jour: Possible Jordy Transfer

hhcmatt

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Okay just going to ask about something I heard at the game about Jordy.

Somebody at the game told me that "maybe Jordy needs to work on his game more and party less."

True?

Looks like somebody from Hebron/Deshler area agrees with you.

I agree with your sentiment but as an inhabitant of the hebron deshler area... Jordy hangs out here a lot and it seems that some one from this area should probably be believed.  

Edited by Bugeaters1

20 minutes ago, royalfan said:

He can most certainly play as the largest guy in a positionless type of lineup at the very least.  Given that he would be checking a big guy, that makes him a 5 in such lineup.  Way too many people put way too much emphasis on the exact positions anyway.  That ship has sailed.  As for getting matching up with York's physical play, it was only Snodgrass that was a bit of an issue from what I saw.  Snodgrass physically would not take a back seat to many high school kids in the paint.  He has the makings of a very skilled big man.  This kid is going to be good as he fills in.  Chance to be very very good.  Obviously, needs to get stronger and more aggressive in general. 

I like a four man or five man motion and defensively I had post guard points and wing front posts. When I talk 5, for me, that means someone offensively he can go to work in the low post. Roby guards 5’s now and I think eventually Heiman could do the same as he fills out. All my original comment was that before he can play anywhere, he has to get heavier and much stronger. 

As for York, Snodgrass yes, but also Otte and the younger Cast kid were also able to displace him from the low block. 

Edited by Dean Smith

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

First off, 6'10" and only 200 lbs. He is not a 5 and would love to have him prove me wrong, but he will never be a 5.  He is a very good shot blocker, showing great timing, but against drastically shorter players. I have not seen him play during the summer when the competition might be larger. I know he struggled matching up to York's 6'3 players physically. He is not a skilled post player. His strength is his mobility and a decent midrange shot.  I've not really seen him establish any kind of post move, he just tries to turn and shoot over shorter players.  I would think he has a better chance at developing the three and using his mobility to face up or get offensive rebounds then he ever has of becoming a real solid low post player.

1.  As of 1.1.18, he's over 210lbs, and I've seen 6'10" and 6'11" listings for height.

2.  He has a 32" vertical.  He'll get plenty of blocked shots.  

3.  He had a good summer before his senior season playing AAU, which is why his scholarship offer count went from 3 to 10 in a month.  

4.  Speaking of York, they played on December 28th.  Brady's numbers:  27pts, 11rbs, 3a, 8blk

Here's the game:

• hhcmatt changed the title to Rumor de jour: Possible Jordy Transfer
11 minutes ago, LK1 said:

1.  As of 1.1.18, he's over 210lbs, and I've seen 6'10" and 6'11" listings for height.

2.  He has a 32" vertical.  He'll get plenty of blocked shots.  

3.  He had a good summer before his senior season playing AAU, which is why his scholarship offer count went from 3 to 10 in a month.  

4.  Speaking of York, they played on December 28th.  Brady's numbers:  27pts, 11rbs, 3a, 8blk

Here's the game:

I think we are arguing semantics. A 5 to me is a low post player. If people watch this they will see all of the positives and good things he can do, and there were obviously a lot. But you will see that when he scores they are not from a low post position where he is using  a post move. He rarely even works to establish a low post position. You will also see how he is moved off the block and how his shots are affected by stronger but much shorter players. He is dominant on the class B level. He NEEDS to gain and get MUCH stronger to play at the D1 level. So I am saying he can be good but there are some basic things he needs to take care up in a redshirt season before he is ready. I am definitely rooting for him because he is going to play for my favorite team. That's why I'm rooting for Jordy until things are final. 

Edited by Dean Smith

Here is one thing that kind of sticks in my craw...and I am sure I have heard Jordy make the statement about his "brothers" on this team...Jordy, you can't or should never quit on your brothers.  Ever.  Now, at the seasons end of you want to make that decision, fine.  But NOT in the middle of the season. 

Less than a year ago:

“I would’ve definitely reconsidered my options if it wasn’t him at the head coach position,” the Huskers’ freshman center told Land of 10 Wednesday night after the Cornhuskers fell to Penn State at the Big Ten Tournament, ending their season with a 76-67 overtime defeat.

“All the guys here, most of the guys here, are all guys that he recruited. So I think it would make a change to the team (roster) if it wasn’t him as head coach.”

Tshimanga, a 6-foot-11 Canadian, is one of five freshmen at the core of the Big Red roster. With five sophomores among that group as well, the Huskers (12-19) fielded one of the youngest rosters in the Big Ten, if not the entire Power 5 field.

Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst tweeted after the game that he looked “forward to next season” under Miles’ leadership, and that “the future is bright!”

Tshimanga said Huskers players were not consulted in the athletic director’s decision to back Miles, whose record is 41-55 in the three seasons since taking the Big Red to the NCAA Tournament in the spring of 2014.

‘Although people see all the records, the records are one part of it.’

— Nebraska center Jordy Tshimanga

“It’s more like a business type (of decision),” the center said. “And we are the players and we focus on basketball and school, and they deal with the rest.”

Tshimanga, who averaged 4.9 points and 4.0 rebounds per contest, said the players wanted to repay Eichorst’s trust in Miles and that the coach deserved to return, despite three straight losing campaigns, “because what he’s built here so far has been good.

“Although people see all the records, the records are one part of it. But of the other parts, if you look at it, what he has done to the program since he came here is really amazing. And so we look forward to next year to even build on that. And to do so and thank (Miles) back and get some more wins for him next year.”

Wednesday’s tourney opener was even more draining physically than it was emotionally for Tshimanga, who collected 6 points and 4 rebounds off the bench. In a see-saw tilt of droughts — and runs — the Huskers saved their best for last, closing regulation on a 14-5 spurt that was capped by an Ed Morrow layup that tied the score at 60-each with 24 seconds left in the second frame.

Senior guard Tai Webster fouled out with 3:24 left in overtime and with the Huskers down 63-60. The air petered out of the balloon from there.

“It was very long,” Tshimanga sighed. “And after that loss, we didn’t accept (it) but after that loss, we adjusted. (We) came into the locker room and the coach did what a good coach would do, and just calmed us down and told us what was up for next year and he was proud of us and we fought to the end.”

20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

RE Jordy hearing the footsteps of incoming recruits: Why leave before they even get here?

To me, him and/or family members are not happy with what's going on in the present, not the future.

To me, what else can Miles do? He has stayed with him the season in starting him. The only time he has really sat was the second half of the Purdue game. altough he only played 6 mins.

My wife had a different take on this.  She doesn'r get into all this like the boys and I do so she sees things without all the other sides of things that we do.

Any hue I said that Jordy might be leaving the program because of how he feels about his play and she answered "What? Doesn't he think he is good enough to play for us?" 

I was hummm didn't look at it this way. 

Not likely buuuutttttt...

Edited by Silverbacked1

People on here are putting WAY too much stock in Heiman. Unless his work ethic changes drastically, I don't see him panning out in the least. Maybe he will do a 180, but we shall see.

As far as Jordy ... if he's concerned about his ability to be developed by this coaching staff, I don't blame him. I also agree it's a bit short sighted to leave at semester. He's been given a lot of rope to prove himself and he hasn't, but I do think there is some potential there. If he is done, will will miss the few minutes and depth he gives in the post but I don't think it's a huge loss at all.

He need some sort of offensive presence in the post, but I don't see that coming from anywhere in the near future. We just need someone fairly serviceable.

I'm with Silver's wife. Let me rephrase that, I think Silver's wife might be on to something. He's really playing poorly and just wants the game to be fun. Maybe he doesn't see the game being fun if he's struggling against Big Ten centers. And if he feels that way, and somebody close to him says, "Don't blame yourself, blame the coach ... "

8 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

People on here are putting WAY too much stock in Heiman. Unless his work ethic changes drastically, I don't see him panning out in the least. Maybe he will do a 180, but we shall see.

As far as Jordy ... if he's concerned about his ability to be developed by this coaching staff, I don't blame him. I also agree it's a bit short sighted to leave at semester. He's been given a lot of rope to prove himself and he hasn't, but I do think there is some potential there. If he is done, will will miss the few minutes and depth he gives in the post but I don't think it's a huge loss at all.

He need some sort of offensive presence in the post, but I don't see that coming from anywhere in the near future. We just need someone fairly serviceable.

Coach Hunter helped develop big men while at Georgetown, did he lose a significant amount of brain cells between then and now?  It is my understanding that a lot of work goes into the development of players, I am not convinced the lack of development (if that is real or perceived) falls solely on the coaches.

6 hours ago, tcp said:

This is drama we don't need as a team, but whatever he's going to do, he needs to do it quickly and not drag this crap out. It's getting so bad with players that I'm waiting for the time when they re-evaluate their commitments after every single game. 

That's the cold reality of this: the psychological impact potential is bigger than Jordy's actual play.

6 hours ago, tcp said:

This is drama we don't need as a team, but whatever he's going to do, he needs to do it quickly and not drag this crap out. It's getting so bad with players that I'm waiting for the time when they re-evaluate their commitments after every single game. 

Spot on.  I thought we had a cohesive and high character team.  I am not implying that we don't.  But this sort of drama cannot help.  I want Jordy to stay, but if he wants out now, let's get it done and move on.

My theory is that it is a little more of a Pitchford type burnout.  He retweeted something over the break about how college players should get a 5 day break for the holidays.  He has not played basketball that long and he comes from a large close family.  A little burnout, disappointment, homesickness etc. I think is more of a factor than he thinks some other coach could make him an all american.  But hey that is just my theory. 

Cary Cochran nails it again. Very much worth a listen.

The thing about the timing I hadn't considered is that Jordy waiting to transfer until now maximizes the amount of games he would get to play somewhere else because you end up being able to play both periods between semesters. Bleh.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Cary Cochran nails it again. Very much worth a listen.

The thing about the timing I hadn't considered is that Jordy waiting to transfer until now maximizes the amount of games he would get to play somewhere else because you end up being able to play both periods between semesters. Bleh.

My favorite few quotes.

”I think someone is in his ear.”

”You look at Jordy and he is a good teammate... erm friend.”

”I think he’ll try to keep some type of continuity and keep Roby coming off the bench.”

“I would be really surprised and disappointed if we don’t play well tonight.”

”Ya gotta play him through it.... it’s in his head”— in reference to what you do with Watson.