The crowd must get better

PimpMario

28 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

See my above post. The crowd will get to their feet sometimes but they don't seem to understand they can stay there and disrupt the opponent.

How many arenas to you see actually do this outside of really big games (which Wisconsin wasn't...) and student sections? I watch a lot of basketball and I can count the times I've seen this happen on both hands. Most fanbases don't go bonkers through timeouts and for the entirety of games. They just don't. That's what the student section is for and why it's located behind the opponents bench. And this is probably something they could get better at. I don't expect the rest of the arena to do that through a full media time out. Maybe a 30-second TO on occasion.

How many arenas to you see actually do this outside of really big games (which Wisconsin wasn't...) and student sections? I watch a lot of basketball and I can count the times I've seen this happen on both hands. Most fanbases don't go bonkers through timeouts and for the entirety of games. They just don't. That's what the student section is for and why it's located behind the opponents bench. And this is probably something they could get better at. I don't expect the rest of the arena to do that through a full media time out. Maybe a 30-second TO on occasion.
I haven't been up many opposing arenas.

But it definitely felt like there good opportunities mid to late second half to really help the team blow the doors off the place and strangle Wisconsin.

Maybe I am off base. Maybe we just needed to hit a couple more wide open 3, pointers. Maybe I am being to hard on the baseball fans.

But it feels like there is never a "third and ten" fans making noise time at PBA.

Been to every home game this season. Not bragging, just saying I’ve seen some dead crowds this season and some better ones. Thought the crowd VS Minny was pretty good. KU game had its moments. Even a few times VS. BC too. Personally, I was disappointed in the Husker Power chant for the Wiscy game. They even flash the spot lights now to help (this started after the Eichorst departure) My seats are in the front row of the 200 level, above the student section behind the hoop. I swear to you, 90% of them just cross their arms or don’t do anything or are on their phones during the opponent’s free throws. Come on students, put some effort into it. Pet Peeve #1: Fans leaving way early. I drive from Omaha and understand sneaking out with a minute left if the game is well in hand. But fans start the walk with 9 minutes left, and each deadball more and more leave. New Pet Peeve #2: I’ve had my same seats since PBA has opened. New guys sitting behind me this year. Initially seemed like good fans, but the one guy drops an F bomb almost every fourth word. F’in Evan Taylor, F’in refs, F’in Miles, F’in Jordy sucks, F’in had a burger, the walk was F’in cold, these hot dogs are F’in good, what the F type of shot was that Copeland? F’in drive the ball Roby, F’in Glynn sucks tonight, etc, etc. Now, I’m not saying PBA needs to be like church. I get into the games and cheer and yell and scream Go Big Red with the best of them. But I bring my 11 year old to the games and honestly won’t bring my 8 year old daughter, I don’t want her exposed to 75 F bombs per game. And I don’t like it when guys who don’t look like they can even play rec ball call our players dumbasses and dumbsh#* either. I would think most people who talk like that would perhaps try to show some restraint around younger kids, but this guy must not care. He only has showed up to the bigger games, but it’s certainly made going to the games a little less fun. 

8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Been to every home game this season. Not bragging, just saying I’ve seen some dead crowds this season and some better ones. Thought the crowd VS Minny was pretty good. KU game had its moments. Even a few times VS. BC too. Personally, I was disappointed in the Husker Power chant for the Wiscy game. They even flash the spot lights now to help (this started after the Eichorst departure) My seats are in the front row of the 200 level, above the student section behind the hoop. I swear to you, 90% of them just cross their arms or don’t do anything or are on their phones during the opponent’s free throws. Come on students, put some effort into it. Pet Peeve #1: Fans leaving way early. I drive from Omaha and understand sneaking out with a minute left if the game is well in hand. But fans start the walk with 9 minutes left, and each deadball more and more leave. New Pet Peeve #2: I’ve had my same seats since PBA has opened. New guys sitting behind me this year. Initially seemed like good fans, but the one guy drops an F bomb almost every fourth word. F’in Evan Taylor, F’in refs, F’in Miles, F’in Jordy sucks, F’in had a burger, the walk was F’in cold, these hot dogs are F’in good, what the F type of shot was that Copeland? F’in drive the ball Roby, F’in Glynn sucks tonight, etc, etc. Now, I’m not saying PBA needs to be like church. I get into the games and cheer and yell and scream Go Big Red with the best of them. But I bring my 11 year old to the games and honestly won’t bring my 8 year old daughter, I don’t want her exposed to 75 F bombs per game. And I don’t like it when guys who don’t look like they can even play rec ball call our players dumbasses and dumbsh#* either. I would think most people who talk like that would perhaps try to show some restraint around younger kids, but this guy must not care. He only has showed up to the bigger games, but it’s certainly made going to the games a little less fun. 

I'm in the "give them something to cheer about" camp mostly, but your Pet Peeve #2 really hits home. I've got some newbies behind me that start up from the tipoff. Honestly, they start crapping on players on the first missed shot (sometimes players miss?) and the first rebound we don't get (sometimes it bounces to the opponent?). And I see the same thing when I turn around and look at them: Dude, have you ever played anywhere besides the driveway? Bad language, which Mrs. Taylor doesn't enjoy, and just constant negativity. I'd gladly take a row that leaves early and claps politely over the whiners.

@Faux Mike Peltz @Chuck Taylor you both have touched upon my biggest pet peeve with the crowds (I realize Husker fans are not unique in this regard).  In particular the fat middle aged amateur coaches out there that think they know something about the game and holler ignorantly at OUR players for doing something (or not doing something) that they don't like but don't have any clue about, like:

• How, exactly, our REAL coach wants our offensive/defensive system to run
  • Just how extremely difficult playing at that level is (and conversely just how stupidly athletic even the most mediocre looking player is)
  • Seeing the whole court from your seat in section 209 is WAY easier than it is from the floor, sometimes a pass isn't made that looks obvious to you because the players just can't see the open man
  • You drag your ass up and down that court and wrestle with 5 sweaty guys from Iowa for 40 minutes and tell me how much you have left in the tank to sprint down the court at the end of a game, don't talk to me about a player being "lazy"

...and many, many more.  I doubt that most of these guys have ever played the game at any level, or else they would maybe have a bit better understanding.

Otherwise, I don't really think the crowds have been any worse than any other I've seen at away games.  I'd say the environment at the Kansas game was way better than it was in Lawrence last year when we played and I don't think anyone would mistake a crowd at Phog for being bad fans or disinterested.  They also have all the same kinds of vibe-killing scoreboard videos and dance group routines as everyone else.

48 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

... Honestly, they start crapping on players on the first missed shot (sometimes players miss?) and the first rebound we don't get (sometimes it bounces to the opponent?)...

Yeah, I get the same vibe from some people from time to time. Like, they want to be a Nebrasketball supporter, but they find more satisfaction out of making fun of them. I'd equate it to the likeness of how some people treat(ed) the Cubs and how they're the lovable losers.

8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

New guys sitting behind me this year. Initially seemed like good fans, but the one guy drops an F bomb almost every fourth word. F’in Evan Taylor, F’in refs, F’in Miles, F’in Jordy sucks, F’in had a burger, the walk was F’in cold, these hot dogs are F’in good, what the F type of shot was that Copeland? F’in drive the ball Roby, F’in Glynn sucks tonight, etc, etc. Now, I’m not saying PBA needs to be like church. I get into the games and cheer and yell and scream Go Big Red with the best of them. But I bring my 11 year old to the games and honestly won’t bring my 8 year old daughter, I don’t want her exposed to 75 F bombs per game

You need to get on this guy the next game because that cursing is completely unacceptable. I think you'll find that others in your section will have your back on this. Hey man, if you have dump on everyone at least stop cursing because my and everyone else's kids are here.

18 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Bring the dudes back?

I don't think they can....it's all due to that girl getting injured years ago.  I could be mistaken on this, but I think I recall that the U would lose it's insurance coverage if they brought the guys back.  I think the days of "DEFENSE! DEFENSE!" chants are gone.  

29 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

You need to get on this guy the next game because that cursing is completely unacceptable. I think you'll find that others in your section will have your back on this. Hey man, if you have dump on everyone at least stop cursing because my and everyone else's kids are here.

I agree. I didn’t have my son with me for the BC game, but did for the other three games he’s come to Minny, KU, and Wiscy. I’ve turned around to give him the look a few times but he blankly stares ahead.  I’m certainly going to say something Monday night, could honestly see it resulting in a not so pleasant confrontation, so hopefully those PBA ushers will be close by lol.

9 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I agree. I didn’t have my son with me for the BC game, but did for the other three games he’s come to Minny, KU, and Wiscy. I’ve turned around to give him the look a few times but he blankly stares ahead.  I’m certainly going to say something Monday night, could honestly see it resulting in a not so pleasant confrontation, so hopefully those PBA ushers will be close by lol.

Sounds like he only comes for “the big ones.”  Might not be there until Michigan and then again against Maryland.

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Perhaps alert the usher(s) ahead of time...let them be the actor rather than the reactor, because if they react to the situation, you may be perceived as part of the problem...

19 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I have bumped this from a page or two ago as others have mentioned the reasons...this article sufficiently explains why we no longer have gymnastics, lifts and the like.  I can't believe it has been 20 years...

2 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I have bumped this from a page or two ago as others have mentioned the reasons...this article sufficiently explains why we no longer have gymnastics, lifts and the like.  I can't believe it has been 20 years...

Bringing facts to a discussion has become a disturbing trend on this board.

That sucks that some people are creating a hostile environment with cussing and criticism.

I still vividly remember fans criticism of Frost and Crouch during games.

I still really feel that we have never been taught how to cheer and participate.

There was not one time against Wisky that we stood and cheered when they were on offense.

Just now, PimpMario said:

I know. Some sections are better than the club seats; honestly most.

And some sections have that one guy in the front row.

But maybe since we weren't trailing there was never a need to get a stop...

I wonder if it's past the bedtimes for some PBA occupants, imagine what it could be like next week as both games start after 8 pm !?! ;)