Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PimpMario

The crowd must get better

Recommended Posts

I thought the actual attendence was good.

 

The noise and participation by the crowd was terrible.

 

The good news is we have a chance to win a bunch of games at home. Maybe if the team keeps winning the fans can learn how to make some noise.

 

Maybe we need some one to lead us and teach us.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

 

I thought the actual attendence was good.

 

The noise and participation by the crowd was terrible.

 

The good news is we have a chance to win a bunch of games at home. Maybe if the team keeps winning the fans can learn how to make some noise.

 

Maybe we need some one to lead us and teach us.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Just goes to show that the people who used to tell me that “the crowd would make noise if the team gave them something to cheer about” were wrong. Either they were being willfully blind, deliberately contrarian, or stupid. Probably stupid.

 

If forcing Wisconsin to call timeout in the second half of a close game isn’t “something to cheer about,” I don’t know what is. Seems to me the problem is not that the fans don’t have anything to cheer about.  That was never really the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Yes that game wasn't really conducive to crowd energy. I don't recall the Minnesota crowd being terrible and I thought the Kansas crowd had a good showing. Don't judge off of 1 tough sit.

 

I was disappointed in the crowd for both KU and Minnesota. They had their moments, but it never got REAL loud and there were times they needed to be on their feet making noise and weren’t.

 

I’ve been thinking about doing a thread like this for awhile, particularly after KU, but decided to let it go. But now that it’s been brought up ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO....I think it comes down to a few things.

 

I think our gameday presentation could still be a little bit better.   I think we have enough momentum killing video board items to keep the crowd a little tame at times.

I think consistency has a big part of it.   Even when we do have a decent product on the floor, our fanbase isn't exactly used to that and doesn't know what to do.  Consistent winning will have an impact on things.  Then of course, the flow of the individual game as well.   And we know how the game the other night went....it was ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this is wrong but I think the "Scarlets" doing nothing for getting the crowd into it. And you can bet your butt they will be brought out at some point to do a routine. If I want to watch scantily clad girls dance...nevermind. How about the pep band playing the fight song every other time out? Boomer Sooner is on standby and ready to go anytime a Sooner breathes. The in game presentation needs some work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, as much as we want our crowd more into the game, that we also need to realize that what we have is very good for our team.  Unless your name is Michigan State, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, etc, then it can sometimes be hard to garner a crowd.  I look no further than Northwestern.  Yes, they are playing off campus and yada yada, but that was pathetic.  The crowd was terrible for our game.  Especially for their "magical" run last year.  As much as I want more from our crowd, I also realize that some teams are just fortunate enough to have a crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Maybe this is wrong but I think the "Scarlets" doing nothing for getting the crowd into it. And you can bet your butt they will be brought out at some point to do a routine...The in game presentation needs some work.

It's been moving towards an NBA style presentation for a while now. If you're cool with that, then the presentation is actually pretty good. If you'd prefer a more collegiate atmosphere, maybe it could use some adjusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

It's been moving towards an NBA style presentation for a while now.

 

Not sure what the NCAA rules are but it seems like NBA crowds are prompted by an organ/music during play. We don't really have enough tradition/carry over to self-start/sustain even simple chants as "de-fense".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

Not sure what the NCAA rules are but it seems like NBA crowds are prompted by an organ/music during play. We don't really have enough tradition/carry over to self-start/sustain even simple chants as "de-fense".

Yeah, they do and I don't think the NCAA allows for those kinds of shenanigans, which I'm fine with. You see schools that have coed cheerleader corps lead cheers during game play, but nothing through the loudspeaker. We haven't had that in a long time since we got rid of all the dudes about 10 years ago. But the way we do pre-game stuff, player intros, the DJ, etc... Reminds me very much of the NBA games I've been to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

You see schools that have coed cheerleader corps lead cheers during game play, but nothing through the loudspeaker. We haven't had that in a long time since we got rid of all the dudes about 10 years ago.

 

To me this is the problem and I'm not sure how we fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing i would like is more promotion of the husker lights outside of the arena, Its getting better, but the one time we can get like 75% to 80% of the fans to get the app on their phone will be interesting. I think the in game presentation needs work, idk if its different crews or people who handle but the staff at Memorial Stadium has a good pulse for when to play certain songs and handle certain moments that the arena is working on.  When the crowd and the production are on the same page...its am impressive environment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

 

To me this is the problem and I'm not sure how we fix it.

 

This ties into the cheerleader lawsuit of about ten years ago.  We then grounded our cheerleading corp which also removed the need for male cheerleaders.  No lifting, no gymnastics nada.  Perhaps it is time to revisit that decision.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×