The crowd must get better

PimpMario

15 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

There are even people who regularly come to Husker hoops games from western Nebraska. That's a lot of driving....

Ha, I drive out a couple times a year from Denver with my 8 year old who is a brain-washed die-hard Nebrasketball fan.  We drove out for the Stetson game (not my first choice of games, but it fell at a good time with his Winter break) and that crowd was lousy.  However, everyone in the stands deserves a pass for that game given how putrid the shooting and overall basketball was.  The halftime show with the back flippers was sadly the highlight for most that night!

Just now, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Ha, I drive out a couple times a year from Denver with my 8 year old who is a brain-washed die-hard Nebrasketball fan.  We drove out for the Stetson game (not my first choice of games, but it fell at a good time with his Winter break) and that crowd was lousy.  However, everyone in the stands deserves a pass for that game given how putrid the shooting and overall basketball was.  The halftime show with the back flippers was sadly the highlight for most that night!

Wow, that's an impressive drive for Nebrasketball-Stetson. And, yes, agreed, the Beale Street Flippers were the highlight of the first half of the night, for sure! :D

I feel like a wimp, but ever since having kids I just don't make it out to games very often.  When I do go it's usually because someone gave me a free pair of tickets or it's a weekend day game.  I will make a more concerted effort to be a regular again once the kids are older.  It's pretty tough though when one's less than a year old and the other is 3.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

There are even people who regularly come to Husker hoops games from western Nebraska. That's a lot of driving....

I have friends (really I do) that drive to every game from Gothenburg and stay to the end, and then drive home again.  There have been few games that they missed, typically when major weather is a factor. 

I went to the Ohio State-Michigan State game last week. They had the #1 team in town and couldn't sell out. I also didn't think it got as loud there as it did during the KU game and the Buckeyes were laying the wood on the #1 team in the nation. While a small sample size, I can't help but think PBA's crowd holds its own.

If people are going to complain about crowd performance at PBA, then I think someone should also calculate where Nebraska ranks in terms of win total over the last 5 years and compare that to where Nebraska ranks in attendance over the last 5 years.

My guess is that when compared to other teams that have had 4 losing records out of 5 seasons, Nebraska blows out those schools in terms of attendance. And if you look at the schools with comparable attendance to Nebraska, those teams likely have much more tangible on-court success and are likely consistent NCAA Tournament teams (compared to a Nebraska program that has never even won an NCAA Tournament game).

According to anyone outside of the program that I have ever heard talk about this subject, the level of fan support for this Nebraska basketball program (that is so drastically lacking in terms of legitimate success on the court) is actually pretty impressive.

That's my (apparently unpopular) opinion.

If people are going to complain about crowd performance at PBA, then I think someone should also calculate where Nebraska ranks in terms of win total over the last 5 years and compare that to where Nebraska ranks in attendance over the last 5 years.

My guess is that when compared to other teams that have had 4 losing records out of 5 seasons, Nebraska blows out those schools in terms of attendance. And if you look at the schools with comparable attendance to Nebraska, those teams likely have much more tangible on-court success and are likely consistent NCAA Tournament teams (compared to a Nebraska program that has never even won an NCAA Tournament game).

According to anyone outside of the program that I have ever heard talk about this subject, the level of fan support for this Nebraska basketball program (that is so drastically lacking in terms of legitimate success on the court) is actually pretty impressive.

That's my (apparently unpopular) opinion.
We have far and away the best (or most gullible) fans in terms of showing up. It is not even a question, we have the most v loyal basketball fans.

15 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

We have far and away the best (or most gullible) fans in terms of showing up. It is not even a question, we have the most v loyal basketball fans.

The exact same thing could be said for our football program.  We haven't been relevant in football for 15 - 20 years and yet people still show up.  Obviously people in the state of Nebraska either really like football and basketball or have no other social life.

32 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

The exact same thing could be said for our football program.  We haven't been relevant in football for 15 - 20 years and yet people still show up.  Obviously people in the state of Nebraska either really like football and basketball or have no other social life.

Quite a difference between the two sports over that time frame.  Depending on one's definition of irrelevant, of course.   In football we had a conference championship, several divisional championships,  multiple 9 and 10 win seasons, and several bowl victories in that time frame.   In basketball we did what?  One NCAA tournament bid.   About 3 NIT bids.  Many losing seasons.  Several last place  conference finishes.  Poor comparison.  

Edited by HB

Every basketball program complains about the effectiveness of their crowd.  8,440 of the fans at PSU made no noise at all Friday night.  Because they weren't even there!  Yet, somehow, their team was able to overcome this obstacle and win the game.  Keeping track of who stands and for how long, who yells and how loudly, who arrives late and leaves early, are petty complaints.  More important things to worry about.  4 pages now, and nobody has explained yet about how selling beer will fix everything!  What's up with that?

Edited by Wayne Pesek

• 2 weeks later...

Our crowds can range from very average, to exceptional.  Much depends on the game, and the excitement level.  Those of us that are there game in, and game out, are rarely satisfied with the noise level.  We are certainly not satisfied with those the always seem to leave early.