Moos Finally Attends a Nebrasketball Game

HuskerFever

51 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Turns out Moos hasn't been to a Nebrasketball game until Wisconsin yesterday. I know the guy has been busy, but we are nine weeks into the season at this point.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/moos-impressed-by-first-basketball-game-forecasts-long-range-football/article_20567edb-66a9-506b-8219-d4090f1c1a5f.html

Allow me to summarize the column:

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Basketball

Basketball

Basketball

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

4 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

Allow me to summarize the column:

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

Basketball

Basketball

Basketball

Football

Football

Football

Football

Football

:lol:

Let's find a better headline for the Journal Star.... maybe "Moos Gives Thoughts on CFB Playoffs, Praises Frost... oh, and He Attended a Basketball Game Once"

These Moos quote from the article are telling:

“I liked our energy, I think we’ve got some real good talent, I thought the game was coached well,” Moos said.

“It was the first time I’ve seen PBA for a basketball game and I was extremely impressed. Well-staged event, great fans, super support. So I look at our record, look at the conference and, just taking a first brush at it, I feel like we’re in a fairly good place.”

55 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Well if he's not watching closely guessing the means Miles is safe for another year.

That's one interpretation. Another would be that he's focused first on getting the football program together and then putting his mark on the basketball program. Whether that's one year, five years, or three months, who knows?

One side of speculation of course.

Not strange at all really. His first priority when he was hired was to A. learn the ins and outs of the Athletic Department and B. Decide on Rileys Future and if needed Hire a football coach.

That basically takes until Early December.  So he's probably not going to get to any game before December at the earliest expecially since half the games played before Frost was hired were either in Missisippi, NY or Florida.

So basically you are talking about wether he should be at any earlier game after the BC game.

That would be the Minnesota and Kansas games. Volleyball says hi. 

Then you have a 3 game stretch against UTSA, Delaware State and Stetson. 

I'd wait for Wisconsin too.

Basically it comes down to is it upsetting he missed the Minnesota game at 8pm on a tuesday night or not.

6 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Not strange at all really. His first priority when he was hired was to A. learn the ins and outs of the Athletic Department and B. Decide on Rileys Future and if needed Hire a football coach.

That basically takes until Early December.  So he's probably not going to get to any game before December at the earliest expecially since half the games played before Frost was hired were either in Missisippi, NY or Florida.

So basically you are talking about wether he should be at any earlier game after the BC game.

That would be the Minnesota and Kansas games. Volleyball says hi. 

Then you have a 3 game stretch against UTSA, Delaware State and Stetson. 

I'd wait for Wisconsin too.

Basically it comes down to is it upsetting he missed the Minnesota game at 8pm on a tuesday night or not.

Sure, but this is also assuming that his calendar is solid booked 24/7 for the last 9 weeks, which even with Frost's postseason schedule is not the reality.

120711_youll-find-a-way_youanew1.png

I tried not to overreact to this initially, so this is a reflective overreaction. :)

First off, yeah, I'm surprised he couldn't make it to a game earlier and it reinforces what I see as a constant shortcoming of this program: It just isn't a priority here. This board is blessed with people who care. I guess there just aren't enough of us.

Second, his quote just rubbed me the wrong way. "So I look at our record, look at the conference and, just taking a first brush at it, I feel like we’re in a fairly good place.” It's tough for an AD to say anything without getting it misinterpreted, so I'm not pulling my hair out over this. And I don't know what else he could have said. But nevertheless, the quote sent a message of complacency to me. This season is a referendum on for Miles. This is his sixth season here. My god, we've been patient. His conference record is under .400. He's never beaten Creighton, and that matters. Look at his history. He's never finished higher than 4th in either the BIG or the Mountain West. He's 51 years old, so it's not like he's young and learning. I'm not willing to give him another year for an NIT bid in a year when the conference is the worst since we joined. I'm sorry if those standards are too high, but if they are, then it explains a lot about Nebrasketball.

10 hours ago, jayschool said:

I had four days vacation between Christmas and New Year's, drove five hours to Lincoln and watched us play f*cking Stetson. I think he could have made a game at some point.

Now I feel bad for not going down to the game that night.  Tried to get PapaCH to go be he didn't think he could manage it.

21 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Wait a sec...why are we mad about this?

I personally am not mad, but I was a bit disappointed and perhaps surprised.  I would have thought that opportunities would have been there before this time.   It sort of makes it look like basketball is either not a priority and/or important.

Edited by huskercwg

11 hours ago, Swan88 said:

These Moos quote from the article are telling:

“I liked our energy, I think we’ve got some real good talent, I thought the game was coached well,” Moos said.

“It was the first time I’ve seen PBA for a basketball game and I was extremely impressed. Well-staged event, great fans, super support. So I look at our record, look at the conference and, just taking a first brush at it, I feel like we’re in a fairly good place.”

At first glance you'd think that as long as we don't collapse it's smooth sailing for Miles into next year.

However, he has a contract that expires at the end of the 2019-20 season (correct me if I'm wrong here) so he might be compelled to do something at the end of the season. Seeing what Maryland did with Turgeon, he might just let it ride again.

3 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I would have thought that opportunities would have been there before this time.   It sort of makes it look like basketball is either not a priority and/or important.

Think about it this way

Scott Frost is hired December 3rd.  Is he going to a game before then? Nope. Going to that Minnesota game on Tuesday when we're trying to hit the ground running? Nope.

Next home game: Kansas. Is he going to miss that?  Only if Nebraska is playing for the national championship in volleyball.

Next 3 home games: cupcakes. Do those seem like a good way to evaluate how are program is going? Not really.

If you break it down like that , Wisconsin as the first game does make sense.

7 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I personally am not mad, but I was a bit disappointed and perhaps surprised.  I would have thought that opportunities would have been there before this time.   It sort of makes it look like basketball is either not a priority and/or important.

I guess all I can say is trust me, that is not the case.   Basketball and other sports besides football are very important to this regime.  I would review Green's speech when SE was fired.     Winning is now a priority, competing is a standard which will be judged, vs. energy and social causes and all sorts of other weird crap.