Sign in to follow this  
Bugeaters1

Nebraska vs. Illinois Game Thread

56 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Just who are the good refs. Every teams fans rip on the refs every game.  Even refs that have worked multiple national championship games get ripped on here.  So who are the good ones?

Lisa Mattingly, Dee Kantner, Brain Enterline, Bob Price,Tina Napier. those are the ones that come to mind right now.

6 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Lisa Mattingly, Dee Kantner, Brain Enterline, Bob Price,Tina Napier. those are the ones that come to mind right now.

Yes I know these names and they are as good as any, but they still get ripped continually on these threads.  My wife does not think Lisa Mattingly is any good at all.  This is because of a game she called in the big 10 tourney five or six years ago where every call she made seemed to be in Purdues favor and the wife read her bio and found that her hubby was a Purdue grad. 

1 minute ago, Fastbreaker said:

Yes I know these names and they are as good as any, but they still get ripped continually on these threads.  My wife does not think Lisa Mattingly is any good at all.  This is because of a game she called in the big 10 tourney five or six years ago where every call she made seemed to be in Purdues favor and the wife read her bio and found that her hubby was a Purdue grad. 

But she is still one of if not the top ref in WBB.

Resilient.  Describes this team.  Things can be falling apart all around them, bad stretches, bad calls--none of it matters.   They never fold. Just when you think "now it's gonna go bad", someone makes a play and it gets turned around.  

Happy for Janay, speaking of resilient.   Hangs in there through a bunch of adversity, and has a great game!   Great interview after the game--a very poised and articulate young lady.  

Just what we expected. A dog fight with Illinois ...and  the refs were ugly too.  Never seen so many bad calls ...and or even poor no calls. 

We were kind of off kilter at times....but we hung in there...gutted it out to the end.. Great plays by Janay 

and 10 rebounds by Jasmine.  Grace came in and did some good things. 

Cain was not sure what to do....every time she put her hands up, they called a foul on her.  But the team rebounding was noticeably in our favor. 

Free throw shooting. &  to many turnovers were a bit noticeable.

But just good contributions from everybody tonight. They've hung tough all year.

Amazing what these girls are doing this year. There winning ones they probably shouldn't have early...now their winning ones they should  too. 

Edited by redsteve

I do believe we have some depth this year.  Wish I could have watched the game but just had the radio app.  Have to wonder if Cain is getting some bad calls just because of her size (lazy reffing).  Doesn’t explain some of the other stuff Matt and Jeff were calling out though.

It will be interesting to see the Attendance tonight.  Not to disparage the Illinois fans (they haven't had a lot to cheer about lately); but to highlight the exceptional fan support for the Huskers.  They'll probably see about 5,000 fans back at PBA when they host Michigan.  :Bow:

1 minute ago, redsteve said:

Just what we expected. A dog fight with Illinois ...and  the refs were ugly too.  Never seen so many bad calls ...and or even poor no calls. 

We were kind of off kilter at times....but we hung in there...gutted it out to the end.. Great plays by Janae (sp) and 10 rebounds by Jasmine.  Grace came in and did some good things. 

Cain was not sure what to do....every time she put her hands up, they called a foul on her.  But the team rebounding was noticeably in our favor. 

Free throw shooting. &  to many turnovers were a bit noticeable.

But just good contributions from everybody. tonight They've hung tough all year.

Amazing what these girls are doing this year. There winning ones they probably shouldn't have early...now their winning ones they should  too. 

40 to 27 lead in rebounds and no offensive rebounds for Illinois in the second half.

They tried to make it a tight game at the end, but then righted the ship just when they needed to.

When the Illini all but erased that 12 point lead, and that Illini girl hit that 3, I was like, ooh boy, kinda like what HB said.  And then from the radio call, sounded like they found a couple of good looks in a row but just missed. But then you get a key and timely trey from Whitish as the dagger that kind of sealed the win and you could breath a bit easier.

Gotta say, I'm impressed with Coach Amy.  I started a thread last year asking how long people would think it would take her to turn things around and I have to say she's ahead of schedule as far as what I figured.

Good for the lady Huskers.  Whitish said on the post-game that last year really hurt and it sounds like they were determined not to experience that kind of adversity again.

Good on 'em.

39 minutes ago, Red Don said:

It will be interesting to see the Attendance tonight.  Not to disparage the Illinois fans (they haven't had a lot to cheer about lately); but to highlight the exceptional fan support for the Huskers.  They'll probably see about 5,000 fans back at PBA when they host Michigan.  :Bow:

1039 at the game.

11 hours ago, huskerchode said:

I do believe we have some depth this year.  Wish I could have watched the game but just had the radio app.  Have to wonder if Cain is getting some bad calls just because of her size (lazy reffing).  Doesn’t explain some of the other stuff Matt and Jeff were calling out though.

i just don't like Cain even giving the ref an opportunity to make a call in a situation like that. time running out, sounded like it was going to be practically a half court shot anyway? i understand she is just trying to compete, but, i would just make sure she is out of the way. i'd rather she get her fouls around the basket ;)

wow----another weapon in janay? hope she can stay healthy the rest of the way!

17 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Off the beating path but what was up with the Rutgers Purdue game. 47 to 33 final score. Purdue winning

I watched the replay, and this is what I saw Purdue zoned most of the game and pressed the whole game to speed Rutgers up. Purdue also got a lot of put backs. Rutgers just doesnt shoot the ball well plus they got called for a ton of fouls which they should. Rutgers all so only had 10 pts. at half.

5 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I watched the replay, and this is what I saw Purdue zoned most of the game and pressed the whole game to speed Rutgers up. Purdue also got a lot of put backs. Rutgers just doesnt shoot the ball well plus they got called for a ton of fouls which they should. Rutgers all so only had 10 pts. at half.

i watched a good chunk of a couple of their home games earlier in the season. one game they shot really well and the other game, it took them a little bit to get the offense going but once they did they put it away fairly early. sounds like they may be just like the rutgers of old. can play really well at home. foul like crazy on the road and crappy shooting. although, one home game i watched rutgers got away with quite a bit of mugging. sound familiar?

5 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i just don't like Cain even giving the ref an opportunity to make a call in a situation like that. time running out, sounded like it was going to be practically a half court shot anyway? i understand she is just trying to compete, but, i would just make sure she is out of the way. i'd rather she get her fouls around the basket ;)

wow----another weapon in janay? hope she can stay healthy the rest of the way!

We just have so many ways to score!  It seem that almost anyone can go off on any certain night.  :o This Team is developing before our eyes!  :)