2018 Husker Baseball

Bugeaters1

On 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM, khoock said:

Lack of quality arms (thanks to injuries) is gonna make this one long season.

Let’s not act like injuries are the only reason we are a mediocre at best baseball team. The injuries to some key guys in the pen were less than ideal but we have a number of upperclassmen struggling on the pitching staff. And that doesn’t even begin to explain Erstad rolling out another less than stellar lineup. I say this every year but it’s pretty apparent that Erstad either 1. Has no idea how to recruit/develop the type of offense he wants or 2. He flat out lied the first couple years after he was hired when he proclaimed this offense would be Uber agreessive, put extreme pressure on the defense, and be chaos on the bathpaths. Fast forward six years and we have another lineup with minimal speed and power. I put it up there with Doc’s ole “were going to be baseline to baseline” talk.  

Edited by huskerbaseball13

I believe HB hit the nail on the head, and I agree with huskerbaseball about mediocre ball. 

A team like this, is at best, frustrating.  They can look decent in spurts, but oh goodness, they can look really bad in other instances.  Baseball IQ is missing, focus is missing, consistency in hitting, fielding and pitching is missing.  We are in the meat of the schedule and the hope of having a successful year has passed by.  Now I am hoping that pride starts kicking in.  We shall see. 

36 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Gameday against the blue people from Omaha. Anyone else headed to the game at TD Ameritrade tonight? Should be a nice night for a ball game. 

Can't make it this time; please bring us home a W, Jake.  

3 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

20 straight innings without a run. This team struggles in every phase of the game.

Really bad team.  Looks like my seats  behind home plate for the Big 10 tournament may be for sale cause I don't see us making it.  

Edited by HB

6 minutes ago, HB said:

Really bad team.  Looks like my seats  behind home plate for the Big 10 tournament may be for sale cause I don't see us making it.  

I know it’s way easier to say in hindsight, and I’ve said it a million times on this board - but we hired the wrong ex husker. Will Bolt should be our coach. Hell they used to call him Mini Van Horn when he played here.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM, khoock said:

Lack of quality arms (thanks to injuries) is gonna make this one long season.

Yeahhhh, are we sure it’s just lack of quality arms due to injuries? Pretty sure you have to go back very very very far in Husker history to find a worse 1-9. Erstads shortcomings on the recruiting trail are on full display. 

7 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yeahhhh, are we sure it’s just lack of quality arms due to injuries? Pretty sure you have to go back very very very far in Husker history to find a worse 1-9. Erstads shortcomings on the recruiting trail are on full display. 

Erstad post game interview after game 3 against Minnesota he said they just need to play better defense - made no sense to me because even with perfect defense we lose 3 of the last 4 games. Schriber can only take us so far

Edited by The Polish Rifle

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Erstad post game interview after game 3 against Minnesota he said they just need to play better defense - made no sense to me because even with perfect defense we lose 3 of the last 4 games. Schriber can only take us so far

That doesn’t surprise me. For a guy who was maybe the most balls to the wall player in the big leagues his offensive philosophy as a coach his philosophy is polar opposite.  As I stated above...he either flat out lied during his introductory PC or he has no idea who to recruit/develop to what he wants this offense to be. Just brutal to watch. 

8 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

That doesn’t surprise me. For a guy who was maybe the most balls to the wall player in the big leagues his offensive philosophy as a coach his philosophy is polar opposite.  As I stated above...he either flat out lied during his introductory PC or he has no idea who to recruit/develop to what he wants this offense to be. Just brutal to watch. 

I can't believe so much work was put in to get the B1G tournament to Omaha, and we might not make it - its mind blowing. I guess last time it was in Omaha we might as well have not showed up.

12 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

My post isn't wrong. We do have a weak bullpen and it has cost us a few games (where the bats produced enough runs or had the lead late) and will probably continue to cost us some games. But I do not think I said anywhere in my post that pitching was our only issue or that I thought our offense/lineup were good. I was just highlighting one aspect of the game bc that's what stood out to me that particular game/series.

8 minutes ago, khoock said:

My post isn't wrong. We do have a weak bullpen and it has cost us a few games (where the bats produced enough runs or had the lead late) and will probably continue to cost us some games. But I do not think I said anywhere in my post that pitching was our only issue or that I thought our offense/lineup were good. I was just highlighting one aspect of the game bc that's what stood out to me that particular game/series.

Difference of opinion. Injuries obviously hurt the pen but our talent level is nowhere near where it needs to be even with a full healthy roster.  It SHOULD still be enough to win some games/series in the Big Ten and hopefully make the tournament but that's not saying much. 

17 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Difference of opinion. Injuries obviously hurt the pen but our talent level is nowhere near where it needs to be even with a full healthy roster.  It SHOULD still be enough to win some games/series in the Big Ten and hopefully make the tournament but that's not saying much. 

I believe the arms we lost were going to be relied on for some pretty heavy innings. A lot of teams would struggle if they lost their closer, a weekend starter, and two of their top middle relievers/mid week starters.

Offensively I agree. Not much talent or consistency from the plate.

5 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Erstad gave new guys a shot, and it worked. If seniors aren't producing, he shouldn't be afraid to put in young guys that will produce.

Agree.  Kind of noticed that, and heard that Cronenbold (sp?) was out due to injury.