2018 Husker Baseball

Bugeaters1

23 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

How were the crowds this year for the games?  On T.V. the looked a bit smaller than in the last few years. 

And they seemed to get smaller as the year went along.

Past Saturday attendance down 1K from the same week last season. Thought it would be worse, we came into this year with little momentum after last postseason flop. This years team never really looked like they would be NCAA caliber. 

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Just got around to listening to Sharp n Bennings Monday podcast. Sheds quite a bit of light on our struggles keeping in state talent. If Erstad is serious about turning around this program what he does this offseason with Ted Silva will say a lot.

They didn’t hold back. And one thing that shouldn’t be doubted about Sharp and Benning is their connection to HS coaches.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Just got around to listening to Sharp n Bennings Monday podcast. Sheds quite a bit of light on our struggles keeping in state talent. If Erstad is serious about turning around this program what he does this offseason with Ted Silva will say a lot.

I also read that it was common knowledge that IWCC staff and the Husker staff aren’t on the best of terms. Any insight? Seems like not building great relationships with IWCC and HS coaches of Nebraska is self sabotage. Those two combined could get you talent to be in the regionals every year.

4 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I also read that it was common knowledge that IWCC staff and the Husker staff aren’t on the best of terms. Any insight? Seems like not building great relationships with IWCC and HS coaches of Nebraska is self sabotage. Those two combined could get you talent to be in the regionals every year.

Speaking of IWCC a local kid who was at NU and did nothing had an absolute crazy good year for them. I’m guessing Erstad/Silva would love to have Sean Chandler right about now. 

18 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Speaking of IWCC a local kid who was at NU and did nothing had an absolute crazy good year for them. I’m guessing Erstad/Silva would love to have Sean Chandler right about now. 

From what I understand he committed to IWCC right out of HS, then last minute Nebraska told him they had a spot for him. IWCC heard nothing from Nebraska about pursuing him, not even a "Hey were going after this kid, might want a replacement for him just in case". If its another D1 team, or a less known JUCO I would get it, but Nebraska needs to work with the coaches at IWCC. A team in your backyard producing 5+ D1 kids a year, pick up the phone and play nice. Another example of this staff bringing a big league philosophy to the college game.

MSU looses first game against OSU  ✔️

MSU looses second game to OSU

MSU looses third game to OSU

MARYLAND looses first game to INDIANA

MARYLAND looses second game to INDIANA

MARYLAND looses third game to INDIANA

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

Okay going to check them off as long as it goes.

8 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

MSU looses first game against OSU  ✔️

MSU looses second game to OSU

MSU looses third game to OSU

MARYLAND looses first game to INDIANA

MARYLAND looses second game to INDIANA

MARYLAND looses third game to INDIANA

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

At least they're playing loose. ;) I kid, I kid.

On 5/13/2018 at 6:09 PM, HuskerFever said:

Nebraska sweeps the series against Illinois (3-0):

• Michigan State wins no more than 1 game against Rutgers (1-2)
  • AND Maryland wins no more than 1 game against Purdue (1-2)

Bump.

This is our only shot to get in the conference tournament.

MSU loses first game against OSU  ✔️

MSU loses second game to OSU

MSU loses third game to OSU

MARYLAND loses first game to INDIANA

MARYLAND loses second game to INDIANA

MARYLAND loses third game to INDIANA

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

Okay now that I hopefully am doing better than the boys will this weekend!?

18 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Nebraska with one of the worst hit & runs I've ever seen. 3-2 Illini. They have 3 runs on 2 hits, we have 2 runs on 6 hits.

Little league shit continues. We hit a sac fly to right to tie it..........but wait Roskam tagged out at 2nd, trying to tag up before the runs scores! I've seen high school teams coached better.

Edited by The Polish Rifle

MSU loses first game against OSU  ✔️

MSU loses second game to OSU

MSU loses third game to OSU

MARYLAND loses first game to INDIANA✔️

MARYLAND loses second game to INDIANA✔️

MARYLAND loses third game to INDIANA

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

HUSKERS WIN

Okay now that I hopefully am doing better than the boys will this weekend!?

Well that wasn't too hard or much fun either.

Edited by Silverbacked1

11 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

With Wilk and Scott gone after this year, I'd have to be convinced we're in a better place than we we're when Anderson left. Also this team will probably finish this season with a worse record than Anderson's worst team.

The talent within the program has been depleted.  This year was terrible, as bad as its been since the Sanders ERA but what is more concerning is that we likely lose our only two consistent hitters, and...we still don't have an established Friday night guy in the program.  I have no inside information but I fully expect Silva will be gone.  The good news is we get some key guys back in the bullpen but they will be recovering from major arm injuries so who knows how that will pan out.  I'm still going to hold out for a glimmer of hope that Erstad may put his name in the ring for a MLB job this offseason. 

4 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'm still going to hold out for a glimmer of hope that Erstad may put his name in the ring for a MLB job this offseason.

I'm sure you are much more well versed in the circumstances Husker baseball is in right now, but unless we find a really strong replacement, aren't we just doomed to be a mediocre Big Ten baseball team that has no expectation for success? Or are you thinking it's Erstad that's gotten us to that point?