Scouting Wisconsin

hhcmatt

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Who's going to double Happ? And, Wisconsin seems to usually have an unheralded guard who lights NU up..... hope NU brings the fight to UW early & often. ET is that kind of dude.

That's going to be on whatever guard is the closest to Happ not a singular defender. Next game I want to see a ton of ET on Tony Carr.  This game?  I want to see more minutes from Gill and Thomas Allen because I think attacking from the outside will be there.

Rutgers did a nice job (yes - an oxymoron, but true) of really varying what they did with him. Doubling, not doubling, waiting till he put it on the floor, etc. Really seemed to frustrate him. So maybe just try to give him different looks with no discernible pattern.

Outside of Happ & Davison, this is a horrible offensive team, so you really have a lot of options to double him, because you're not too afraid of leaving someone, as you would've been in the past with these guys, where it seemed like anyone on the floor could bury a 3. Not this season.

And Davison is a nice player, but they're asking him to do waaaaay too much for a true freshman who has a bum shoulder. I think he's going to wear down badly in the next few weeks, and they they're really in trouble.

Edited by throwback

8 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That's going to be on whatever guard is the closest to Happ not a singular defender. Next game I want to see a ton of ET on Tony Carr.  This game?  I want to see more minutes from Gill and Thomas Allen because I think attacking from the outside will be there.

I think ET will stick like glue on Brad Davison. As far as the closest guard doing the doubling, I just think when TA or GW would do it to Happ that it'll be not nearly as effective. We'll see if NU varies its' looks... and, I think AG does a good job on the defensive end as well as the offensive end. He should be seeing extended minutes no matter the matchup.

Edited by AuroranHusker

5 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think ET will stick like glue on Brad Davison. As far as the closest guard doing the doubling, I just think when TA or GW would do it to Happ that it'll be not nearly as effective. We'll see if NU varies its' looks... and, I think AG does a good job on the defensive end as well as the offensive end. He should be seeing extended minutes no matter the matchup.

True, but it also kind of depends where Happ catches it. Since he cannot/will not shoot a jump shot, if he catches it 8+ feet out, he has to put it on the floor, so our smaller guards can dig. If he's closer, he wants to spin, so need a bigger guy to double.

6 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

How is ET going to double down on Happ and stick like glue to Davison?

The thing with this team is that Happ is essentially the point guard and leads the team in assists. Taking away a non-Happ player results in either Happ being single teamed or Happ passing to one of the other 3 guys. ET is still going to start, still going to play 20+ minutes but his value as our best guard defender isn't quite the same vs a team that doesn't prioritize any of their guards.

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

How is ET going to double down on Happ and stick like glue to Davison?

The thing with this team is that Happ is essentially the point guard and leads the team in assists. Taking away a non-Happ player results in either Happ being single teamed or Happ passing to one of the other 3 guys. ET is still going to start, still going to play 20+ minutes but his value as our best guard defender isn't quite the same vs a team that doesn't prioritize any of their guards.

The first was a open-ended question (who should double Happ?). The "ET on Davison" is my opinion on what Miles will do. The other is what I think should happen, i.e. AG more than GW or TA to double on Happ.

Edited by AuroranHusker

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

My only theory on why Jordy starts is that Miles wants to find out what he has that day as quickly as he can. He'll play him accordingly from there.

Really distracts from Watson's inconsistent shooting this year :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, atskooc said:

So is starting Jordy when he's playing the way he is. 

I don't know.  Things are working and the team is gelling.  Most all players are comfortable with their roles.  Even Isiah said he didn't care if he started or not.  Now if we were 6-11 and Jordy had cost us a few games then yes, it would be silly to probably start him.  However, we are 11-6 and Jordy isn't the reason we have lost the games we did.  At this point in the year, if it is nothing major, messing with lineups and rotations could do more harm than good.  That's just my 2 cents and philosophy though.

The big thing I see in regards to the starting lineup is that Miles talks a lot about the importance of playing from in front, especially on the road. However, our current lineup has opened some games with some large deficits early on, much like Saturday. I would love to see what Roby, Copeland, Gill, Watson, and Palmer could do fresh out of the gate, possibly allowing us to jump all over of teams from the get-go. Having said that, our end-of-game lineup is probably of equal importance. 

23 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

The big thing I see in regards to the starting lineup is that Miles talks a lot about the importance of playing from in front, especially on the road. However, our current lineup has opened some games with some large deficits early on, much like Saturday. I would love to see what Roby, Copeland, Gill, Watson, and Palmer could do fresh out of the gate, possibly allowing us to jump all over of teams from the get-go. Having said that, our end-of-game lineup is probably of equal importance. 

Miles probably sees it as beneficial that he can improve upon the lineup he starts the game with. Firepower off the bench. All the while preserving his best lineup for crunch time and when the opponent is worn down or in foul trouble. There's been lots of ideas on here on who should start and how Miles should look at this. Bottom line is if coach thinks he will use Jordy (meaning he isn't completely dropped from the rotation) then you can't really argue against starting him. Otherwise you're just saving Jordy's minutes for later. Especially if he's potentially trying to preserve a foul prone player from being in trouble prior to crunch time.

8 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

the next 15 are going to be interesting. they are all winnable. not finishing above .500 in these next 15 will make it tough to keep miles past this year.

There's only 14 games left.  KenPom is wavering between going 6-8 and 7-7 in them.