BIG 10 Satndings.

Bugeaters1

Sure Do!  :)  And very possibly we'll improve to 3-1 after we play Illinois on Wednesday  (but we could also easily be 0-4 if our schedule had included Rutgers, Maryland & Iowa  as well as Ohio State in our first four games  :o). 

But being at 2 or 3-1 at the start of conference play is quite a confidence builder for our young team showing we 'Can Win' even when we get to the tougher portion of our conference schedule.  :nod:

8 hours ago, redsteve said:

I see we've moved up to 79 in Jeff Sagarin's College Basketball Ratings tonight.

We were 97 a couple of weeks ago, and even father down just before that........will get some earned respect for a change !

yep-------a month ago huskers were sitting at 112!

just have to be impressed so far---granted, not the schedule the huskers had to deal with last season, but, if someone at the beginning of the season said they would be looking at 11-5, 2-1 big ten they would have really raised eyebrows. 

i watched the illinois/iowa game while listening to the huskers with matt and jeff. odds are this will be a tough match. illinois led a good portion of the first half until iowa finally decided to feed gustafson and let her take over. once iowa took back the lead, illinois kept the deficit bouncing back and forth in that 4-9 pt range---had it down to 4 or 5 with a couple minutes left but iowa stretched it out to at least 10. illinois just didn't have an answer for gustafson. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I watched the second half of Iowa - Illinois and was surprised Illinois was staying in the game as well as they were.   My impression going in was that Iowa was a much better team and would run away with it, but they never seemed to be able to put the game away until the end.  Of course, I figured OSU would dominate Michigan and that didn't happen either.  And i honestly thought we would be destroyed by OSU when we played them.  All in all, I just have no clue anymore.

Winning games away from the friendly confines of Pinnacle is always tough.  Last year we wouldn't even haven been able to beat "sisters of the poor" in an away matchup.  Remember we didn't win any non home games.  This year we have won six and are not quite halfway through our schedule.  We just need to continue to improve as a team and stay healthy.  Competing with Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue for 4th through 7th place is a reality and should be fun.  At the start of the season that scenario would have looked a little too optimistic.  GBR 

Edited by HUD
update

yep-------a month ago huskers were sitting at 112!

just have to be impressed so far---granted, not the schedule the huskers had to deal with last season, but, if someone at the beginning of the season said they would be looking at 11-5, 2-1 big ten they would have really raised eyebrows. 

i watched the illinois/iowa game while listening to the huskers with matt and jeff. odds are this will be a tough match. illinois led a good portion of the first half until iowa finally decided to feed gustafson and let her take over. once iowa took back the lead, illinois kept the deficit bouncing back and forth in that 4-9 pt range---had it down to 4 or 5 with a couple minutes left but iowa stretched it out to at least 10. illinois just didn't have an answer for gustafson. 
Let's hope they don't have one for Cain either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I watched the second half of Iowa - Illinois and was surprised Illinois was staying in the game as well as they were.   My impression going in was that Iowa was a much better team and would run away with it, but they never seemed to be able to put the game away until the end.  Of course, I figured OSU would dominate Michigan and that didn't happen either.  And i honestly thought we would be destroyed by OSU when we played them.  All in all, I just have no clue anymore.
The league may be better top to bottom than most people thought at the beginning of the year.

35 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

The league may be better top to bottom than most people thought at the beginning of the year.

It's going to take a bunch more games to be played before HHC can get an idea where the Huskers and the league will shake out. 

I may be crazy, but is a 20 win season possible?? Maybe not, but we can sure make a dent in upcoming games toward  that possibility

Edited by redsteve

21 minutes ago, redsteve said:

It's going to take a bunch more games to be played before HHC can get an idea where the Huskers and the league will shake out. 

I may be crazy, but is a 20 win season possible?? Maybe not, but we can sure make a dent in upcoming games toward  that possibility

after illinois, i think the remaining road games get kicked up a notch (as far as competition). 20? not sure i would count anything out when it comes to this group.? it WILL be tough, though. a couple months ago, who even thought that would come up in the conversation! ?

13 conference games left.  We go 7-6  and tie for 6th place regular season. Win 2 games in the Big Ten Tour. and then off to the WNIT where we win 2  more.  Final record  22-13.  We end up on the bubble but the Clemson loss keeps us out of the Big Dance.

23 minutes ago, caveman said:

20?  After Illinois we have very tough 5 game stretch.  Mich., Iowa, Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa. If we win 2 of those 5, we should get 19 and be squarely on the bubble.  3 or more we will be playing for seating.  It really is that simple. 

the 2 i would be looking at would be a possible win at home against iowa and a good shot at purdue. no doubt this is going to be a rough stretch. buckle up.

Illinois will be a tough game..maybe tougher than it might seem. They're a little like us. They've now won more games than they did all of last year. And they  too have a new coach, but she's no rookie...very experienced and has brought Ill. out of the basement quickly.. Before the season started I thought Ill. would have issues., but...their improving with new guidance.

It's an away game in their house....we'll need to be ready at the tip off and not  (seemly) wait until the last qtr to try to win it.  Our youth shows when we don't come out of the chute like a house a fire. As said, we've got to win it because of the schedule coming up right behind it. 

Watched Iowa play twice.....Gustafson is their key...they go as she goes.....and she's picked it up a bunch this season..  It will be a good example, and experience, for Cain to play against her..

Edited by redsteve

On 1/8/2018 at 11:09 AM, redsteve said:

21 hours ago, caveman said:

20?  After Illinois we have very tough 5 game stretch.  Mich., Iowa, Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa. If we win 2 of those 5, we should get 19 and be squarely on the bubble.  3 or more we will be playing for seating.  It really is that simple. 

21 hours ago, HUD said:

13 conference games left.  We go 7-6  and tie for 6th place regular season. Win 2 games in the Big Ten Tour. and then off to the WNIT where we win 2  more.  Final record  22-13.  We end up on the bubble but the Clemson loss keeps us out of the Big Dance.

Now this is just Crazy Talk!!!!!  :o   (But Nothing these Ladies Do surprises me.  ^_^   Like HUD says, the way this team is developing, I'm looking (hoping) for a top-half finish in the conference. Pick up a couple more wins and;   Who Knows?)

(It looks like they are going to blow right through Sam's (McKeown) goal of Doubling the number of last season's wins.:thumbsup:)

I really wish Row6Seat10 were here to give us his Take!

Edited by Red Don

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

And just like that we are tied for third.

looking forward to the big ten tourney, i would say it's a safe bet huskers won't have to play that first day!?  something that was not out of the question at the beginning of the season. plus, fighting for that top 4 seeding where they wouldn't play till the third day!!!

Edited by whoopdeedoo

29 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Michigan state did not look good last night at all!!! Maybe it was just a one night problem but I don't think they will be receiving votes anymore!!

absolutely looks like losing all your guards to injury has taken its toll on the team. nia hollie has taken over, but, not really her position at msu. for someone as "beefy" as jenna allen, i have seen her get pushed away from the basket far too easy a few times in the last couple of games i have watched. when i watched her play when she was a freshman, i really thought she was going to be a good one for msu. granted, only watched maybe 3 games this season, but, i just haven't seen that allen at all. msu still puts a lot of talent on the floor, but, there are a couple that appear to need an attitude adjustment. merchant has her work cut out for her if they want to avoid the possibility of a collapse.

Edited by whoopdeedoo